New Gun Advice

New Gun Advice

This is a discussion on New Gun Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for the perfect gun for me and seeking ideas. My basic requirements identified so far -I am after 12 rounds or more of 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Gun Advice

New Gun Advice

Looking for the perfect gun for me and seeking ideas.
    My basic requirements identified so far
    -I am after 12 rounds or more of 9mm. (I know I want 9mm, a .45 in this size won't have capacity I want)
    -Concealed carry able under normal clothing (not t-shirt only, not heavy coat)
    -Smaller grip width compatible for medium sized hands (Berretta PX4 is a bit thick, most 1911 style pistols feel ok, Kahr PM45 feels really good. XD 9 feels good)
    -High level of accuracy (I love to shoot on my farm a lot and want a gun where I am the weak link in the accuracy chain)
    -ability to add a grip laser is a bonus but not required.

Current models under consideration; Ruger SR9c, Springfield XD 9mm, what else should I seriously look at?

thanks for any advise and help.

M&P9C?

Get a G26 and a G19 mag. You will have the 15 rd capacity for HD and an easily concealable 10 rd 9mm to carry. image.jpg

Good choices, might consider CZ 75 p01, or Pps, Hk 2000sk, Sig 239
    smt6h likes this.

First go to a range which has rentals (call ahead to see what they have) and fire whatever suits your fancy. For example, that Kahr PM9 may look nice but you may not like how the trigger feels, how the recoil feels like, what the mag release or slide release feel like, etc. When you visit a store see how the controls feel. Ask if you can dry fire it with a snap cap. Then find a shooting range that has one for rent. See how easy it is to take apart and put back together. (For example, the Kimber needs some paper clip type of tool to release the slide, some S&W pistols have you going through the mag well, etc.)

The stock answer: Get a Gen 2 or Gen 3 Glock G19. (Me, I hate Glock serrated target triggers. ymmv.) No matter what you get you will need at least three mags for it. Never buy cheap mags. If it's used, see if you can get a complete spring kit for it. See if you can get an accuracy barrel for it. Add up all the modifications because no matter what you buy you will likely end up changing something - grips, recoil guide rod, safety, slide release, mage release, sights, etc.)

It's one thing to know what you want and another to think you know what you want, and even when you know what you want you may wish you had never bought it afterwards.

Administrator
    I think the only gun that fits your criteria that I'd buy is the M&P9c. And that's my advice.
    longhornfan6 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a sr9c very sweet 9 it has night sights with the right holster never know you are carrying if you like 45s check out the glock 30 have 10 in mag one in the pipe

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    First go to a range which has rentals (call ahead to see what they have) and fire whatever suits your fancy. For example, that Kahr PM9 may look nice but you may not like how the trigger feels, how the recoil feels like, what the mag release or slide release feel like, etc. When you visit a store see how the controls feel. Ask if you can dry fire it with a snap cap. Then find a shooting range that has one for rent.

The stock answer: Get a Gen 2 or Gen 3 Glock G19. (Me, I hate their serrated triggers. ymmv.) No matter what you get you will need at least three mags for it. Never buy cheap mags. If it's used, see if you can get a complete spring kit for it. See if you can get an accuracy barrel for it.

It's one thing to know what you want and another to think you know what you want, and even when you know what you want you may wish you had never bought it afterwards.
    He wants to carry it. That's why I suggested the 26 with the G19 mag for HD. Optional.

M&P compact 9mm, or Glock 19, 9 mm.

I have both. Both are great weapons. Both are fighting pistols.
    GhostMaker likes this.

The Springfield XD 9mm is a super choice, I sold a 5 iin bbl "tactical" model years ago and still regret it. The XDS would be better for carry.
    The M&P9c is a winner.
    I also like the Glock 17 & 19 once the sights are changed-out (maybe just MY preference?).
    The Sigs are amazing.

All these are easy maint/ field stripping and VERY accurate.

Nothing is going to have the 12 round minimum. Most double stack sub-compacts are going to have 10 rounds of 9mm and have the ability to used bigger mags.

Glock 26 Gen4 you can put a +2 mag extension on. It will make the grip size a little bigger, but not quite G19 size.

M&P 9c has nice ergonomics and can take bigger mags if you want them.

H&K P2000sk is a very nice package with nice ergonomics and ability to take bigger mags.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Nothing is going to have the 12 round minimum. Most double stack sub-compacts are going to have 10 rounds of 9mm and have the ability to used bigger mags.

Glock 26 Gen4 you can put a +2 mag extension on. It will make the grip size a little bigger, but not quite G19 size.

M&P 9c has nice ergonomics and can take bigger mags if you want them.

H&K P2000sk is a very nice package with nice ergonomics and ability to take bigger mags.
    Hello.....

You should take a really serious look at Glocks. A Glock 19 or 26 will fit your needs. Per your specs, the 19 especially. It's the best pistol Glock makes.
    wingryder and GhostMaker like this.

CZ75 P01 or CZ75 P07 or CZ 2075 (Yes, I like CZs)

Springfield XDM
    HK P30
    FNX-9
    Bersa Thunder Pro UC 9mm

Take a look at The Handgun Information Resource, you can compare a lot of pistols there. As has already been said, call a few ranges and see what they have for rental. Try many, choose one, or two ... or more.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    You should take a really serious look at Glocks. A Glock 19 or 26 will fit your needs. Per your specs, the 19 especially. It's the best pistol Glock makes.
    My God people,this is a conversation. Read above before adding your reply.

26 with 19 mag. The 19 especially? He wants to carry it!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links