Why cocked and locked.

Why cocked and locked.

This is a discussion on Why cocked and locked. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always carried glocks. Since I have been on this forum I have notice there are alot of 1911 fans here. Maybe someone can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why cocked and locked.

Why cocked and locked.

I have always carried glocks. Since I have been on this forum I have notice there are alot of 1911 fans here. Maybe someone can explain why a 1911 is carried cocked and locked. I have been getting more into the 1911 style and when I do get one I would like to carry it in the right way.

Short version is, it's supposed to be. There's not really another safe or useful way to carry it.

euc hit it thats way it was designed and not safe to be carried any other way

Ok Euclidean I have another probably dumb question now then. Why is it unsafe to carry one uncocked with one in the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    Short version is, it's supposed to be. There's not really another safe or useful way to carry it.

Because it is cocked when you load that round, and to do so you have to manually lower the hammer down onto the firing pin. Maybe you slip with the hammer and fire the weapon. Also, if you had to draw the weapon, the hammer would have to be manually cocked back to be fired.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

To be entirely clear, it's a single-action gun. Thus, the trigger only releases the hammer...the cocking action is taken care of by the movement of the slide, coming from either the user chambering the first round or the recoil during firing. So unless you're going to thumb-cock it prior to firing, you have to carry it with the hammer back, and there may be some safety concern of which I'm unaware which makes carrying with the hammer forward dangerous on a 1911. Certainly, de-cocking with your thumb after chambering a round is a tad sketchy, as Buckeye mentioned.

I prefer a double-action pistol for CCW, because if I get tangled up at close range, I may be unable to manipulate a manual safety and fire. I really, really like 1911s, but not in this role. As a secondary weapon in a military/paramilitary situation, I think it's awesome.

Exactly. I'm not a huge fan of the C&L thing at all, but when I do shoot the 1911 or carry it hot I try to act like I'm doing it for real. If I actually did carry that thing, I'd carry it C&L because a gun which is essentially unloaded is useless.

I don't carry a revolver with empty chambers, after all.

A 1911A1 is my primary carry weapon. I always carry it C&L, although it did take a little getting used to. It is no less safe than a double action. I have two single action revolvers, and I do usually carry those with 5 in the cylinder instead of 6. But the only times I have ever actually carried them I was going to be riding horses, and I dunno, just seemed like a sound idea.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

carrying a 1911 with the hammer down you can hit the hammer hard enough to set off a round in the chamber even on a series 80

Now this is not easy to do but can be done this is why springfield went to a lighter and SHORTER firing pin instead of all the series 80 crap colt and kimber and sprindfield use

1911 Carry

Keep in mind with most newer 1911's "cocked and locked" in a holster with thumb snap:

1. You have the grip safety.

2. You have the thumb safety.

3. You have the firing pin safety.

4. You have the holster strap between the hammer and firing pin.

At rest, a "cocked and locked" 1911 is about as safe as any firearm could be.

I was (and still am) a big Glock fan...carried a Glock 19 for 7-8 years...but recently decided to go with a .45 and happen to have eight Paras, a Colt, and a S&W. I still have a Glock 17 w/ light that I use to take our little dog out after dark each night.

Cocked revolver vs cocked 1911

I think the reason some people are nervous about seeing a cocked and locked 1911 is that it reminds them of a cocked revolver. They may not be familiar with the safeties on a 1911, and assume that it somehow resembles a revolver which has no safeties. In a cocked condition, a revolver will generally fire with a 3 or 4 pound touch on the trigger.

At a minimum, the C&L 1911 will require 3 actions to fire - a firm grip on the grip safety, a thumb release of the thumb safety, and a 4 pound pull on the trigger. While sitting in a proper holster, none of those actions are likely to happen.

don't forget half-cock (plus I'd say most people don't have a thumb strap really)

I wonder -
    Can the Admins run any analysis to see which thread topic pops up more: "9mm vs. .45" or "cocked & locked"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    don't forget half-cock (plus I'd say most people don't have a thumb strap really)

i agree with that i dont like thumb straps

also dont forget most new 1911s dont have a half cock anymore or captive half cock i should say

its a shelf now not as good as a captive halfcock because you can still get it to release the hammer or bounce the hammer off the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by J. Loucks Rogers View Post
    I'm of the opinion that there is no safer handgun than a 1911 in Condition 1. It does look dangerous, but I'm more worried by weapons with no external safeties (oddly-formatted triggers don't count ). Given the short trigger pull and the ease of releasing the safeties, I can deploy a 1911 more quickly and accurately than any other weapon format I've tried.

I didn't know that newer weapons lack the captive half-cock. Thanks for the data.
    What about the Springfield XD ? It does have the Glock trigger safety going on but it also has the grip safety. Oh and they just came out with the 15 capacity XD in 45 ACP :D :D :D
    ooooo and boy does it fit your hand, do me a favor and hold one, try it out and see if I am lying!! :D it fits like a glove!!

...just when I thought the gen 3 Glocks were a nice fit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links