stainless steel for EDC and outdoor usage

This is a discussion on stainless steel for EDC and outdoor usage within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How does being stainless steel affect accuracy, internal wear and external wear for an EDC? Seems like just on the holster wear issue stainless would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: stainless steel for EDC and outdoor usage

How does being stainless steel affect accuracy, internal wear and external wear for an EDC?

Seems like just on the holster wear issue stainless would be a no brainier for EDC, yet other finishes seem to outnumber stainless, Why?

Why do you have a stainless EDC?

Why don't you have a stainless EDC?

thanks for the feedback
    ArmyCop likes this.

My opinion is that a stainless gun is more pronounced to the eyes than black ones.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    My opinion is that a stainless gun is more pronounced to the eyes than black ones.

^^This and the additional price are the only two drawbacks I know.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most SS guns have a bead-blasted finish that will exhibit wear just as a blued gun will, but neither affects the performance and both add character to the gun.
    357and40 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

SS is heavy. It costs more, and adds zero value to me. I have family guns from the 1950's, and none have rust or corrosion on them.

I have hunted for days at a time in heavy rain with blued guns. Zero rust issues. Of course I dont just put the gun up at the end of the day, after being in such conditions, or it would have rusted like crazy.

The only time Id consider SS is for marine conditions. Ie a shotgun kept on a boat/salt water, or something like that.

I hate SS because my hands are chronically sweaty.....then it just get's all rusty. That is why I love Glocks and S&W airweight revolvers.
    1911er likes this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Stainless fan...

I like stainless steel for a carry gun, and have used a number of them over the years. Three of them are shown below, with the last two being all stainless and the Defender being stainless slide over aluminum frame. Stainless seems very durable to me, resisting wear, rust and corrosion quite well compared to some other finishes. I also like the color and look of stainless.

Snub44 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

...I stay wet with sweat a great deal of the time because of my work...I've had stainless guns develop rust spots...and the blued sights rust...the moisture and salt would ruin a blued gun that stayed wet all day...different from rain...salt is corrosive...stainless needs maintenance and cleaning, but is more forgiving...

My only gun with stainless is a Ruger SR9c. The slide is stainless is the only thing stainless. I just liked the way it contrasted with the black grip.

VIP Member
    It seems that gun manufacturers are going the way of everybody else. The cost of what we call "true" stainless has risen dramatically and so more and more you are seeing more nickel content in the metal.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it keeps the cost of a gun (or a refrigerator, range, etc...) as competitive as possible, but something to be aware of as the care and cleaning procedure is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    If by this you mean that a stainless gun is more visible to your adversary than a black or blued gun, that is correct. But if I draw my stainless gun on an adversary, I want him to see it clearly, because that might persuade him to stop what he is doing and run away, so that I don't have to shoot him. I don't want him to doubt that he has a gun pointed at him, about to shoot.

When the stainless gun is holstered and under your clothing, it will be invisible to observers, just like a black gun.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

No, I don't care about the adversary noticing the firearm. However, if I had to draw my gun and the situation change, I rather not have some lady scream. The adversary will probably notice the muzzle flash from both a black or stainless gun...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Most SS guns have a bead-blasted finish that will exhibit wear just as a blued gun will...
    I feel worn blue will more readily show than worn stainless. Even highly polished SS will start to look like it's matted.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2260401081.jpg

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com...thumbnail1.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/model10pic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DustyRivers
    other finishes seem to outnumber stainless, Why?
    Firearms History, Technology & Development: Metal Treatments: Stainless steel
    Firearms History, Technology & Development: Metal Treatments: Plating
    Firearms History, Technology & Development: Metal Treatments: Ferritic Nitrocarburizing/Melonite/Tenifer

Me, I'm not crazy with nickel or chrome plating, especially on a revolver where it can start to flake, blister and crack. Yes, they look beautiful, but I'm not sure that they should be holstered and un-holstered every day.

A blued gun will always rust when worn. A blued gun should always be oiled daily. A SS gun doesn't need to be wiped down daily. If you keep a firearm under your pillow you wouldn't want one that has been oiled, would you? Put a matted stainless under your pillow and you don't have to worry about the oil staining the bed sheet and pillow.

Scratch a blued gun ("Idiot scratch" is a perfect example) and it will show more than if the same scratch is on a SS gun. To my eyes, anyway.

I prefer two-tones, SS slide and blued body. I can take Flitz or Mother's Mag Polish to the SS or matted steel but you can't really take anything to a worn blue slide since even a bluing pencil will show (cold bluing solution on a hot blued gun also shows. Yes, I know there's a technique to it - like letting it sit in our AZ heat so that it warms up to about 180F before applying the blue.)

I will never ever buy a holster that isn't lined. I know, "What happens when the lining wears?"

VIP Member
    I doubt SS affects accuracy and wear for and EDC weapon.

I like SS just because I think SS is cool. But I also very much like blued weapons.

Blued finishes just require a quick oil wipe at the end of the day. Blue will also show holster wear more quickly, but I think that looks nice on a gun. It shows the gun is being used.

A lot of the finishes nowadays are coatings - melonite, stuff like that. Seems like true, quality blue is being reserved for higher end stuff. Perhaps due to manufacturing and labor costs?

I realize I didn't directly answer your post. Oh well.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

...is that why my Rugers get a rust-colored stain on them? what do I need to use to clean them properly if they have increased nickel content?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    It seems that gun manufacturers are going the way of everybody else. The cost of what we call "true" stainless has risen dramatically and so more and more you are seeing more nickel content in the metal.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it keeps the cost of a gun (or a refrigerator, range, etc...) as competitive as possible, but something to be aware of as the care and cleaning procedure is different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links