Selecting new full size for the academy

This is a discussion on Selecting new full size for the academy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am entering the academy in a few months, one of the requirements is a 9mm handgun, all of my carry guns are 40 s&w. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Selecting new full size for the academy

Selecting new full size for the academy

I am entering the academy in a few months, one of the requirements is a 9mm handgun, all of my carry guns are 40 s&w. I'm in the market for a new 9mm,im considering a glock 17, but previously owning a 19 I like the size of the 19. Givin this will be a duty gun I'm leaning towards the 17 for the extra barrel length and longer sight radius. I'm open to other manufacturers but I will be carrying it with a tlr-1hl on it, so I also want suggestions on a holster that will fit said firearm and light. Any tips?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

I own both. You really can't go wrong with either weapon.
    Chose the one that you shoot best. I have shot both and find the only difference for me is the 17 rd standard mags for the G17.
    Safari makes good level 3 type holsters. But they are definitely not cheap.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Would you guys suggest a 17c over the 17? I hear they are discontinuing the compensated models.

For a duty weapon I would stay away from compensated models. If your academy training is good you will be doing CQ and night shooting.
    Having done CQ training I wouldn't relish having a compensated weapon that close to my body.
    PaulRevered likes this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Solid tip

Given that it will be in a retention holster with a light on it, I'd suggest the 17. Any small increase in comfort that you would get with a 19 over a 17 will be swallowed up by the light and holster. Since there's no benefit to the 19 for your intended use, I'd say go with the longer barrel and sight radius of the 17.

I also agree with FLMOPE on the "C" model. You will want a pistol that you can use for just about every duty situation - and the compensated model is less than ideal for the intended purpose.

For a duty weapon, any of the Glocks should do you nicely. Plenty of caliber options, sizes/lengths. I would think the G17 or G19 would be a fine choice, if sticking with 9mm. Though the full-size .45ACP might be an option for you as well, given the "duty" role.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Im also leaning towards the 17, the academy requires 9mm, they provide the ammo. Once I am working I will more then likely upgrade to a 45acp

I just purchased a S&W M&P 9MM. Fine handguns...the S&W M&P in .40 cal is one of a handful which the Houston PD authorizes its newly hired officers to carry. The PD also alllows Glock, Sig Sauer, and one or two others I cannot remember.

Not sure what your budget is but the HK USP or P30 in LEM is an excellent 9mm. But if its lower I'd say a glock 17 or M&P. I really like glocks gen4 texture so I gravitate towards those a little more.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    A Sig P226 is another option for a soft shooting full size 9mm that has a rail to mount a weapon light on.
    Drgnfly and Stevew like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Or Sig M11-A1.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My suggestion would be the Glock 19. The 17 is nice but the 19 can be easily used in uniform, plain clothes, and off duty. The xtra sight radius is moot. were talking a difference of what an inch? even at two inches. A compensated pistol has no business in a police officers holster. Anyone who works in low light conditions probably wouldnt like it. I'm not a big fan of gun flashlights but some departments require them.

If you're most comfortable and familiar with Glocks, stay with a Glock. You've already developed muscle memory with the platform. If you are looking for a change, you can't go wrong with a Sig P226 or a full size M&P.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

If you already have a department lined up, find out what their weapon requirements are and get a weapon that meets them. If they issue you a weapon, find out what it is and get one. If you do not have a department lined, stick to the common law enforcement weapons.... Glock 17, SW MP9, Sig 229..... as far as a G17 or a G19.... the G17 would be my pick. Longer sight radius, higher cacity, lots of duty holsters available for it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links