Another "new" LCP plug...

This is a discussion on Another "new" LCP plug... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I may have already bragged up the new version LCP, but I took mine to the range again yesterday, and I think it's ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skidboot

Thread: Another "new" LCP plug...

I think I may have already bragged up the new version LCP, but I took mine to the range again yesterday, and I think it's worth repeating. This time I had the sights painted white, and they were very easy to see and align even at an indoor range. At 25 feet, the groups were tight, and I attribute this to not only being able to see the sights, but to the new trigger that breaks exactly where you would expect it to rather than a day after you begin the pull.
    My wife, who didn't much like the earlier version, immediately claimed this one as her carry gun. Although I usually carry a S&W Airweight, I might get another LCP for myself.
    I should also add that this little gun fed everything just fine, including junk aluminum-cased ammo.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Good to know that it's a better gun. I just bought a new LCP last week...I think. I haven't been able to go to the range yet but I'm itching to pull it out and fire some rounds down range.

Sounds like a real KEEPER.

I shot my new LCP last weekend and I was pleased with its performance. Once the CT laser was sighted in the pistol was quite accurate. My hand did get tired after 50 rounds but that long hard DA pull is one reason I am willing to carry the pistol. Need to strengthen my trigger finger!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenncvol View Post
    I shot my new LCP last weekend and I was pleased with its performance. Once the CT laser was sighted in the pistol was quite accurate. My hand did get tired after 50 rounds but that long hard DA pull is one reason I am willing to carry the pistol. Need to strengthen my trigger finger!
    Take up a musical instrument if you really want to strengthen your fingers and discover their dexterity. It's all about exercise.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Mine (Feb, prevoius owner-1 mag through it) has the shorter trigger reach (at least from what I can remember from my old LCP) but the tiny sights.

Problem solved by my new Crimson Trace laser guard that arrived today.

My wife picked one up last Friday - it's going to be her carry gun. She couldn't make it out to the range this weekend so I took it out Sunday for a function check. 50 rounds of Speer Lawman, 25 rounds of Gold Dots, and 25 rounds of Golden Sabers with no issues. Found it to be a relatively easy to shoot, user friendly gun (definitely more so than my S&W 342 I also brought with me). Eyeing my groups, the guy in the next lane was impressed with how "precise" it is for such a small gun - I may have sold another LCP!

Unfortunately, all is not perfect. The flat floorplate is a little too thick and as a result, the magazine requires a substantial whack to get it to seat (no issue with the extended floorplate, but my wife likes the flat one). I sanded it down and it works much better, but Ruger is sending me a new one anyway. Also, when I got home from the range I noticed that the frame pin in the grip had walked out a bit. We're going to monitor the situation, but seeing as this is such a common problem that doesn't seem to have a real good fix, we're not sure if we want to bother sending the gun back to Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Talking_Monkey View Post
    My wife picked one up last Friday - it's going to be her carry gun. She couldn't make it out to the range this weekend so I took it out Sunday for a function check. 50 rounds of Speer Lawman, 25 rounds of Gold Dots, and 25 rounds of Golden Sabers with no issues. Found it to be a relatively easy to shoot, user friendly gun (definitely more so than my S&W 342 I also brought with me). Eyeing my groups, the guy in the next lane was impressed with how "precise" it is for such a small gun - I may have sold another LCP!

Unfortunately, all is not perfect. The flat floorplate is a little too thick and as a result, the magazine requires a substantial whack to get it to seat (no issue with the extended floorplate, but my wife likes the flat one). I sanded it down and it works much better, but Ruger is sending me a new one anyway. Also, when I got home from the range I noticed that the frame pin in the grip had walked out a bit. We're going to monitor the situation, but seeing as this is such a common problem that doesn't seem to have a real good fix, we're not sure if we want to bother sending the gun back to Ruger.
    Some people just deal with it and use a punch to push the pin back in after each range session, since it's not going to work its way out of the hole while you're carrying it.

Others just get a pre-paid label from Ruger, send it back, get it fixed, and then don't have to deal with the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    Some people just deal with it and use a punch to push the pin back in after each range session, since it's not going to work its way out of the hole while you're carrying it.

Others just get a pre-paid label from Ruger, send it back, get it fixed, and then don't have to deal with the problem.
    Does it actually get fixed? I saw at least one report stating that the problem persisted after sending it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Talking_Monkey View Post
    Does it actually get fixed? I saw at least one report stating that the problem persisted after sending it back.
    That sort of thing happens with all manufacturers. Brand new Glocks are still being sent in for BTF problems, only to have the extractor replaced and returned to the owner still spitting hot casings at their eyes. Sometimes the guy who ends up servicing your gun just doesn't care about his job, and sometimes for "non-critical" problems, they're just going to run a mag through it, declare it "within spec" and send it back.

If they fail to fix it a first time, send it again until they get it right. It sucks being without your gun, but that pin isn't supposed to walk out like that under use, and you CANNOT loctite/glue it in place without ruining your gun. As long as you're polite, Ruger CS will make sure you end up happy. It just might take more than one trip.

I picked a new LCP up last week due to the better sights and better trigger to replace my P3AT. I have had it to the range twice so far and I am quite happy with it. I hope they give the LC9 trigger the same treatment. I would actually consider carrying one. And get rid of that stupid safety...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I just put another 50 rounds through mine yesterday. It's a great little pocket gun. I've got the version with the new trigger and Crimson Trace and find it MUCH improved over the trigger in the older version. I havent had a single issue and it has happily eaten whatever ammo I've fed it.

My only complaint is with the pocket holster they included - I can't make it stay in my pocket. Every time I try to get the gun out of my shorts, the holster comes with it, making it a two-handed affair. Time to order a Mika......
    EDCs: Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911, HK P2000SK .40
    BUGs: Sig Sauer P938, Ruger LCP
    Belts: Armour | Holsters: Tucker, Sparks, Comp-Tac
    ____
    Former LEO and USAF Security Forces

I picked up an LCP back in May. I believe it's the newer generation but not sure (it was NIB via a LGS so I assume it's the newer version). Anyway, great little gun. Coming up on 200 rounds through it so far with no issues (would be more if .380 weren't so friggin' expensive right now). The pistol certainly has it's limitations but I feel like it's tiny, "go anywhere" size offsets just about any complaint you could reasonably make about it, particularly at it's price point. I personally have no problems putting head shots on standard silhouette targets out to 10 yards or so with this gun. Of course, that's under controlled range conditions...

Links