Bodyguard 380 vs LCP in regard to recoil

This is a discussion on Bodyguard 380 vs LCP in regard to recoil within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying an LCP for 4 or 5 years now. Thinking about switching to a bodyguard. I've heard people say the bodyguard has less ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Doghandler

Thread: Bodyguard 380 vs LCP in regard to recoil

Bodyguard 380 vs LCP in regard to recoil

I've been carrying an LCP for 4 or 5 years now. Thinking about switching to a bodyguard. I've heard people say the bodyguard has less felt recoil than the LCP, and I'd like to hear from people who've shot both what they think. Sound off!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    If you are using the LCP as a range toy I can see your reason for a change. I fire 2 mags twice a month, and it's primary purpose is self defense, so i live with it as designed.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

If you are an able bodied man, the difference in recoil should not matter as the .380 is a light recoiling cartridge in any gun. If you want light less felt recoil in a small .380, get a Sig P238. I had all the guns you mentioned and more and the Sig P238 is best of breed in small pocket .380's. Well worth saving up for. Then again, the Sig P938 in 9mm feels like it has less recoil than either of the two guns you mentioned and shots a much better round. I would not waste my money to go from the LCP to Bodyguard. The Bodyguards laser is hard to activate and forces the user to remember to turn it on when needed. Not a very good laser plus if it breaks, you get to send the whole gun back for repair. The BG is not a big seller around here. The LCP and Sig P238 are what is selling in my neck of the woods and I live in a retirement community. Everyone who has an LCP that shot my Sig P238, made me an offer to buy it. It is like night an day. The recoil is not the issue with the LCP unless you have weak hands. The issue is lack of useable sights and a slide that does not lock back on the last round. If you do not think that is important, ask anyone who has actually fired a gun in anger. You do not keep track of the number of shots you use and most people tend to shoot their guns dry and it is not a good feeling to press the trigger and have nothing happen and not know why. People tend to think it is a jam and waste valuable time before realizing that their gun is empty.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

I own a Bodyguard and have fired a few hundred rounds through the LCP. The recoil is negligible in my opinion. Like others have stated, these are not range guns, but practice is certainly necessary. For me, I like the conventional sights on the Bodyguard. I DO NOT use the laser, it was a sales gimmick as far as I'm concerned. A bit of Glow-On or sight paint and you're good to go. The Bodyguard shoots accurately and reliably. I also like that the slide remains open after the last round. Don't get me wrong, the LCP is a great little .380 with a respectable track record so far, but I think you'd find the Bodyguard handles more like a miniature version of its larger .380 predecessors. JMHO, YMMV.

I've shot both and own a bodyguard. The extra couple of ounces doesn't make much of a difference in felt recoil, IMO.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Who cares. These little guns are for quick curbside sinus surgery.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Oh I'm not recoil sensitive by any means. And I'm not particularly interested in the laser aspect of the Bodyguard, mostly the (slightly) quicker takedown and the slide release/hold open after the last round, and somewhat better sights. I had just always read recoil was less in the bodyguard and am curious as to whether shooters of both find that to be the case.

I had a sig p238 for a while. VERY soft shooter and great sights. I just felt it a little bulky for pocket carry. The P938 is on my very very short list for a new IWB carry.

But for pocket carry I like the slim wee little .380s.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    I've been carrying an LCP for 4 or 5 years now. Thinking about switching to a bodyguard. I've heard people say the bodyguard has less felt recoil than the LCP, and I'd like to hear from people who've shot both what they think. Sound off!
    I carry & LCP & my wife has a BG380. If the BG had the trigger of the LCP it would be a near perfect PP. I love the sights on the BG and it is a lot more accurate at 10yd + distances than the LCP. But, the trigger is terrible & takes a lot of time to get use to. (The recoil difference is negligible imho.)

-

Having had both, I'd answer honestly by saying the BG definitely had better recoil control outa the box; that was until I added the houge grip to my LCP. Now, that's no longer an issue. IMO, they are both excellent pocket pistols and I had no issues at all with the BG, but it's one of the few that I decided to trade off for something else. Besides, I have plenty of .380ACP options and it was one that I lost interest in pretty quickly after the laser failed. It only took a few range trips for it to go belly up and I started reading about the trigger issue. At that point I decided to cut my losses and not risk the warranty issue.

Anyway, at this point I'm sure all the bugs have been worked out of both pistols so either or would serve you well in the pocket pistol role. I however prefer the LCP for my use.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I pocket carry my LCP daily and don't want anything any larger for pocket carry. I had been concerned about recoil but put a Hogue grip on it when the gun arrive and was surprised at the small amount of recoil. I'm very pleased with this little gun.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Links