Double Tap Pistol troubles

This is a discussion on Double Tap Pistol troubles within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I've bought a Double Tap derringer in 45acp NIB and received it just yesterday. Anyway I got some 230 grain FMJ Tula rounds out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Double Tap Pistol troubles

VIP Member

Unhappy Double Tap Pistol troubles

Well I've bought a Double Tap derringer in 45acp NIB and received it just yesterday. Anyway I got some 230 grain FMJ Tula rounds out of the safe and headed out the back door to shoot a few rounds. Got it loaded and pointed at the target, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. So I pulled the trigger again to fire the bottom barrel and once more nothing happened. So I held the derringer down range for a bit to see if the rounds would ignite. Once an amount of time passed I opened the derringer up and inspected the primers which I discovered they were lightly hit but not enough to fire them. So I went back into the house and got some Winchester white box 230 grain bullets. Same thing happened again. I then aimed and pulled the trigger back quickly and then the bullets fired. I figured out that when I slowly pulled the trigger staging it to the break it would result in light primer hits. I staged the trigger again on new rounds and it failed to fire. More new rounds with a quickly pulled trigger produced ignition. So are all these pistols like this or do I have a lemon. I'm not at all happy with this and have lost all confidence in the pistol as a SD weapon. Also on top of it all you get two speed strips in the box with a new pistol. Only problem the speed strips are clearly stamped 9mm and I got 45acp. What a mess, so I guess I will be calling Double Tap factory for some information on my troubles Monday. Must be an unlucky month or something for me beings I just sent my XDS45 back in to the factory for repair over that recall.

One more thing abt the double tap is that it truly kicks like a wild horse. I've shot some hot 44 mags in a ruger super Blackhawk with the wooden grips and a 460 SW revolver. All I can say is this derringer recoil is actually worse. The day after I have a bruse mark on the palm of my hand. The pistol is so thin that it amplifies that recoil to ur hand.

I had planned on carrying the XDS as my primary with the Double Tap 45 as back up. I'm just glad I have my Glock 27 and Smith 642 for carry.
    Take care all...
    Kennydale likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

...thank you for posting your woes...will probably save several others' going through the pain/frustration...
    Aceoky and wheelyfun101 like this.

I bought Tula primers for reloading and they were some of the hardest I've ever seen,numerous FTFire and light hits,usually fired after 2 strikes,try some winchester ammo or some real SD ammo to see if it fires then
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    If you read it again I tried the Winchester white box also with the same results...
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your friendly Charlotte liberals have put a hex on all your guns. They won't be happy until they outlaw 16 oz sodas and begin "Stop & Frisk" searches.
    blitzburgh, Aceoky and Richard58 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think you are far better off with your Glock 27 and J frame than with the XDs and that two shot abomination.

Consider this situation a "sign."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I think you are far better off with your Glock 27 and J frame than with the XDs and that two shot abomination.

Consider this situation a "sign."
    I agree...sort of...
    The G27, XDS45 ( once it is repaired) or the j frame would all make a good primary carry piece. Why anyone would want a double tap is beyond me. I held and immediately dismissed it. I would rather carry an lc9 or a BG .380. More rounds, more comfortable to shoot and makes more sense.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Yep a sign and a gut feeling to go with it.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    -Samuel Adams

Administrator
    I would get it back to the maker to have the issue repaired before I'd lose confidence in it.
    As a back-up gun you are not going to be target shooting with it very much.
    It will serve its purpose as a BUG once you get that bug that it is suffering from resolved.
    gottabkiddin and 357and40 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My first thought was that some gunsmith is about to make some money. Sounds fixable except for the part about it beating the he!! out of your hands to shoot it. Course you have some range guns so what the heck. If you need a cannon at 3 feet and in, you have it.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I'd like to have one just as a novelty. I'd shoot it a few times then put it in the back of the safe.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Let the manufacturer sort the issue out, shouldn't be on you or your dime. Call Double Tap and request a shipping label and a company smith to go over the gun. Be polite, explain your findings, but don't take no for an answer. Also, keep us updated on your plight. Good luck.

For those still thinking of buying this thing, proceed with caution

Pocket Guns and Gear: DoubleTap Tactical Pocket Pistol 45 ACP - Full Review
    Rynei and blitzburgh like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Yowza!

I've been watching the development of these and planning on purchasing one, I think it's safe to wait and see if they can get the kinks worked out first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
    blitzburgh likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links