CCW AR-15 7.5" PDW (pistol) question

This is a discussion on CCW AR-15 7.5" PDW (pistol) question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 7.5" barrel AR-15 PDW (made by a Canadian company called NEA). Because it is a pistol, I am licensed to conceal carry ...

Thread: CCW AR-15 7.5" PDW (pistol) question

I have a 7.5" barrel AR-15 PDW (made by a Canadian company called NEA). Because it is a pistol, I am licensed to conceal carry this firearm. For practical purposes its nearly impossible to conceal as I live in a moderately hot climate in Central America so wearing a big jacket is out of the question as I'd really stand out. Where I live rifles are limited to 10 rounds, and there is no limit on pistols, so I can carry this with a 30 round magazine which is a big advantage tactically speaking and is a perfect weapon for my truck as it penetrates glass and can be shot easily with one hand. Again, because it is a pistol, adding a stock is illegal so that is no option but I want to add a sling to it (which is legal), but every AR-15 sling that I can find hooks on to the stock (which I don't have and can't put on legally). Are there any custom solutions out there? Anybody who can design or modify something for this particular gun? Any other suggestions on what I can do as far as a carry strap? Without a stock and strap, its very difficult to get set with this gun and develop a good tactical draw routine.

There are sling mounts that go between the buffer tube and the castle nut.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Yeah, put a single point sling like the military use or a pistol sling. What model sling depends on your mounting options and what is comfortable to you.
    personally, I like this setup... bet you would like this too! (Silver Shadow Gilboa APR)
    img_1221-tfb.jpg
    It has a picatinny rail on the rear.

A sling on it looks like this:
    stacks_image_522.jpg
    Last edited by 2 Gunz; September 8th, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
    Twin 1893 Colt New Army DA Revolvers .41 Long Colt
    Twin 1951 Ruger Black Label Mark I Target Pistols .22
    1964 7 3/8" - 8 7/8" S&W Model 41 US Olympic Target Pistol .22
    1968 2 1/2" - 6" Dan Wesson Model 12 .357
    1990 S&W Performance Center Model 4006
    1992 13 5/8" Phelps Heritage .45-70

^^what ZOMBIE said..

You can get sling mounts that tighten under the castle nut against the lower receiver. One such example is made by Magpul...

Amazon.com: Magpul ASAP Sling Plate, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Magpul also makes my favorite sling for your type of application, the MS3. It can be configured to switch from a single point sling to a two point sling very quickly.

Amazon.com: Magpul MS3 Sling, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Hope this helps. I have an 300BLK AR pistol (waiting on my tax stamp to SBR) that I have set up with a sling plate and an MS3 sling. It is comfortable to carry, but would be a nightmare to try to conceal without a trench coat...

Like others have said, a sling mount that goes between the buffer tube castle nut and receiver would be your solution. But IMO, a AR15 pistol is not the best firearm for concealment. I would prefer a AK pistol in 7.62x39 or 5.56x45 like the Zastava M92 or M85 PV. What you're trying to achieve is big power in a pistol package, so you would want a PDW style firearm, like the old UZI, HK MP5, etc. Although those are generally expensive now, the AK pistol or a PTR91 or PTR 32 PDW can suit what you are trying to do now.

Thanks for the responses. I will look for one of these slings to import (gun stores throughout the region to do not carry any accessories worth buying). Selection of a weapon sort of finds you around here, not the other way around. You just take what you can get, what you think is best for the job as selection is very limited and you cannot special order anything. Automatic weapons where I am registered are illegal (although the NEA-15 has an automatic mode it is disabled by manufacturer). I do find it light enough and mobile enough (I can easily maneuver and shoot it accurately with my right hand while driving) to serve its purpose which is defense of a moving car jacking or kidnapping attempt, which is a real threat in the region. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Any opinions on the Tango Down PR-4 single point sling mount?

...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links