Bond Arms Derringer - Technical Question to owners

This is a discussion on Bond Arms Derringer - Technical Question to owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two of these derringers. Both have a different way of operating. One is clearly defective (albeit no big deal). The instruction says to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Manderinobyebye
  • 1 Post By Manderinobyebye

Thread: Bond Arms Derringer - Technical Question to owners

Bond Arms Derringer - Technical Question to owners

I have two of these derringers. Both have a different way of operating. One is clearly defective (albeit no big deal).

The instruction says to have the hammer UNCOCKED to load and unload. But it doesn't say that the barrels cannot be opened.

Gun 1: When cocked, the barrel CANNOT be opened. It's mechanically blocked.
    Gun 2: When cocked, the barrel CAN be opened as smoothly as when uncocked.

I called Bond Arms, and the gal that answered said it should open and the one that could not be opened when cocked (Gun 1), is the one that needs working.

HOWEVER, in looking at the exploded diagram, I see two parts, 30 (the trigger) and 27 (lock lever flipper). The design of the trigger has a short lip that overhangs the "lock lever flipper". The only possible reason for that, that I can tell, is to block the unlocking lever from going down far enough to release the barrel. And, in fact, when looking at Gun 1, I see that as the hammer is pulled back, this lip is lowered, thereby preventing the locking lever to unlock the barrels.

I'm thinking the gal told me wrong and that the one that opens in both locked and unlocked is faulty.

If anyone has this derringer, can you cock it and tell me if the barrel can be unlocked, as easy as if it's uncocked?

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

MikeSD,

I just checked my two EDCs and they both can be opened while cocked.

I believe Bond Arms has this as a safety that allows you to uncock the guns without taking a chance to have an AD/ND.

Quote Originally Posted by gun_bushido View Post
    MikeSD,

I just checked my two EDCs and they both can be opened while cocked.

I believe Bond Arms has this as a safety that allows you to uncock the guns without taking a chance to have an AD/ND.
    Well that does match what the gal told me.

However, the instructions manual say to remove the barrel by removing the screw, if the gun is cocked and the hammer can't be lowered. They don't even suggest trying the unlocking first. That sort of implies that it wouldn't work.

But the other reason I asked is because the design of the trigger has a lip that can only serve to prevent this from happening. There is no other reason I can see for that lip extend over the lock lever. I'll post a video of what I mean. You will see in the video, the lock flipper (part with screw in it), must extend below horizontal on left to unlock. On the right of this flipper, you will see it contacts part of the trigger, that overhangs this flipper. I can see no other reason for this lip, except to block the flipper and prevent the gun from opening. Notice how in the cocked position, this lip is lower. This blocks the flipper (and the locking lever) from going far enough to unlock.

I wonder if this was the original design but now everything is fitted to make locking in both cases.

The fact that one of my guns opens in both cases and the fact both of yours do, kind of suggests opening is normal. But I'm calling Bond Arms again tomorrow and ask about this.

And you can see in the video this lip on the trigger is further down (blocking lever), after the gun is cocked. What other purpose can this lip serve, except to block the lever from operating too far?

Video
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I bought this Bond Arms 45/410 used a few years ago.I never really paid it any attention.I don't shoot it much.I just took mine out and tried to open barrel with it cocked and the barrel does open on mine anyway.I use to shoot it alot,especially on the river.Just don't so much anymore.410 buckshot is expensive,but most are these days.

45-410 002.jpg
    Aceoky likes this.

Thanks for the answers. I just realized a good purpose for that lip. When you pull the trigger, it tends to cinch up on the locking of the barrel. This would prevent it from unlocking during firing. That makes more sense for it being there than preventing it from opening. Looks like "it should open when cocked" is the trending answer.
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Yea Mike i guess so.I really just never paid it any attention.It's a fun little gun to shoot.
    Aceoky likes this.

Mike SD,

that makes more sense as to help locking the barrel while shooting.

I wonder, are your bond arms different generations?

Links