Quick range report - Ruger SR1911 CMD

This is a discussion on Quick range report - Ruger SR1911 CMD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got a bit of time to get out today to try out the new Ruger 1911 I picked up. Meant to go last Sunday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Quick range report - Ruger SR1911 CMD

Quick range report - Ruger SR1911 CMD

Finally got a bit of time to get out today to try out the new Ruger 1911 I picked up. Meant to go last Sunday but got tied up in family business.

Only had time to put a hundred rounds through it, but had no major failures, one minor failure; a failure to go into battery. Otherwise it ran smoothly with consistent trigger pull from beginning to end. Recoil was easily managed and it felt great in hand, though I do wish it had some checkering on the front strap. I also found the extended safety tang to be a bit cumbersome, as I couldn't find a comfortable position with my right hand thumb underside it or above it. However with it's extra surface area and positive engagement/disengagement, I'm more than happy to work at finding the right grip for it.

Two screenshots included, the first sheet and the last sheet. Firing at a range of 15 feet and 10 feet, the grouping on the weapon was great, but I had a hell of a time getting it on target at first, and still struggled towards the end. Purely an issue on my end, and when I did hold steady it placed them tightly. The last mag I put on the first target started to eat out just around the 12-2 oclock position on the bullseye. The last target was at 10 feet and shot at a moderate-high rate of fire.

Overall I am really happy with it, just need to get my hold down better with this and used to the sights; which consistently threw me off as I am pretty used to my Walther PPQ's.

Will try to get it out again soon for a higher round count.

Edit: sorry for the double attachment, the one with some of the holes covered by the stickies was the first target at 15', the one without the stickies was at 10'
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Brian,

Nice shooting for the first time with a new gun. A higher round count means little. You are better off to shoot a couple of magazines paying attention to everything than blasting 100 rounds off.
    StormRhydr and Aceoky like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Sounds like a good range trip! Always fun to test a new gun out. It has always interested me that while there are basic principals each gun is generally its own animal in regards to sight picture, POA vs POI etc etc.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    As with any new gun, the first trip to the range is a new learning experience. Looks like you did fairly well.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Nice shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    I also found the extended safety tang to be a bit cumbersome, as I couldn't find a comfortable position with my right hand thumb underside it or above it. However with it's extra surface area and positive engagement/disengagement, I'm more than happy to work at finding the right grip for it.
    Why not just replace it with something more comfortable?

Thumb Safety | Tactical Lever | Blue-Wilson Combat

WC Bullet Proof safeties look nice. Bullet Proof® Thumb Safety | Tactical Lever | Stainless-Wilson Combat I never understood the need for extended safeties (extended slide release, yes; extended mag release, yes; extended safety, no). If you're having problems engaging it then just get the WC Bullet Proof Low Mount safety (made for smaller hands). Bullet Proof® Thumb Safety | Low Lever | Stainless-Wilson Combat

I wouldn't trust the extended safeties with the sharp bend on them. I wouldn't want a high hold, left or right thumb resting on the top of the safety tang because then your finger could drag on the slide and cause FTEs. And if the thumb is hitting the underside of the safety then either Dremmel it off or change it to a standard Colt type safety (rounded). Yes, it does stick out a lot more than the thinner extended safety but chances are that because it's thinner it has to be longer.

I've read reports of the front sights falling off on the Ruger. Some say they're MIM parts. It'd probably be best if you could put your favourite heights on it. (I'm thinking of having Williams Fire Sights installed on my LWC. Or XS sights (but not the Big Dot)).

Find some skateboard tape you like and apply it to the front strap. Me, I find it too aggressive. I'd rather have a rubbery compound. 3M Non Slip Anti Skid Tape would probably be ideal for me. Non Slip Tape Anti Skid Adhesive 2" x 60" - $7.

No matter what one buys one usually finds something they don't like on it. At least with a 1911 you can find many parts to customize it to your liking. BTW, I really like the Ruger CMD Beavertail Safety. It doesn't have a too pronounced memory grip tang. imo. My LWC is flush, no memory pad. I feel that the humped back Beavertail is better suited to rounded backstraps.

I brought home a SR1911 Commander last week.. My first impressions were good... Great balance and good out of the box trigger... Then things changed when I hit the range.... Had immediate problems withe 7 rd mags that came with it.. The last round wouldn't completely go into battery. Changed out the mags to some others I had and the gun functioned perfectly... Funny thing was the ruger mags worked in two other 1911's I have????? I called Ruger and they immediately sent me two more mags.... Same problem with the next two.... While testing the new mags my front sight broke off... Not happy by this at all... Long story short is that Ruger responded very professionally an e-mailed a return UPS label and my pistol was in Prescott the next morning... I'm not going to let this get to me....I still think it's going to be a fine pistol.... We'll see.

I gotta be honest, I don't really care what your targets look like. Where's the gun?!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by zwv1951 View Post
    The last round wouldn't completely go into battery.
    Students?...

If I said "change the recoil spring" you'd look at me as if I'm crazy. But then I'd be installing a solid recoil spring guide rod Full-Length Guide Rod | Commander-Wilson Combat :D Try reversing the recoil spring 180° just in case someone installed it incorrectly. At the very least thow in a new recoil spring. My Commander uses an 18#. You may want to try a 17# which supposedly gives better reliability. (Assuming Ruger is using stock Commander spring rates.)

Shok-Buff® Recoil System | Commander-Wilson Combat (Read the review).

http://www.rugerforum.net/handgun-ac...magazines.html

Do a Google search for "Ruger SR1911 last round won't camber".

Aftermarket SR1911 Magazines? - Ruger Forum
    Ruger SR1911 magazines - Ruger Forum

I will never use Chip McCormick mags (too many reported problems. For all I know a lot of them may be pirated copies.) Buy only Wilson Combat (47D, 47DC) and Tripp Research mags. Buy 3 at a time. Buy WC conversion kits for the two Ruger mags you have.

You'll have to see if there's any interference between the inserted mag lip and the slide release tang. If there isn't, use a small flat blade screw driver and move the lip side to side to see if it contacts the slide release tang. If it looks good, take apart the mag and rotate the mag spring 180° and see if it will fit correctly into the follower. (Some can, some can't. It's like the recoil spring - some can be installed incorrectly.) See http://www.midwayusa.com/product/621...45-acp-8-round See the spring ends?

Replacement Springs / Followers-Wilson Combat
    Spring/Follower Kit | Wilson 8 rd. .45 ACP Full-Size Mag-Wilson Combat (Two of these and (3) 47DCs should be all you need.)

7 rounder: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Spring_F...tinfo/47SFK-7/

Notice that the spring ends cannot be rotated, they only go in one way.

Carefully take apart the two mags that work and the two mags that fail. Swap the followers & mags springs into the orig mags. If the original mags still fail it's the mag body.

Yep, take a magic marker to the range with you. Every time you have a problem pull the mag out, put a mark on the side.

While testing the new mags my front sight broke off...
    Broke off or fell off? If it broke off then it's probably a MIM part. Time to upgrade.

What ammo were you using? Did your thumb contact the slide when cycling? Make sure you use a low thumb hold (thumb over thumb).

I wouldn't be entertaining ideas of sending it back just yet. It's just growing pains. Should be easily fixed. (On my Sig Ultra I bought two new WC 47Ds and a 10-8 Performance slide stop even before I took it to the range. I'll be ordering two 47SFK-7C spring and follower kits for my Sig mags.)

Never buy cheap mags. You may have problems sooner or later. Nope, no gun show mags for me. If you keep the original mags, get Wolff replacement mag springs a dozen at a time.

I have at least four Chip McCormick power mags (including two 10 rounders) for 1911's and love them YMMV

I will never use Chip McCormick mags (too many reported problems. For all I know a lot of them may be pirated copies.) Buy only Wilson Combat (47D, 47DC) and Tripp Research mags.
    Last edited by Aceoky; September 8th, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
    40Bob likes this.

Hrmm, no problems with my SR1911 5". 400+/- thru it fine. I'm sure Ruger CS will take care of it. Heard many good stories.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I have at least four Chip McCormick power mags (including two 10 rounders) for 1911's and love them YMMV
    Power Mags is not the same thing as Star Mags.

Chip McCormick Power Mag+? Notice how it now says, "100% Aluminum Frame Safe!". There were reports of CMs gouging aluminium frames, like my LWC.

If you (rhetorical) don't like plastic followers (WC, TR) the metal follower in the MC POWER mag is probably the way to go. Does it have the dimple on the follower? (Ball ammo feed helper.)

The other part of the problem is the smooth follower. Browning knew how inertia would affect things, and he put a small dimple on the top of the magazine follower. The dimple's function is two-fold. It adds a small amount of height to the follower [I say the shell] in order to give it a "Leg Up"...and it stops the forward movement of the round. More accurately, it keeps the pistol from moving out from under the round in recoil. In this function, it's basically a back-up for the spring as it fatigues, and provides a better opportunity for the round to stay in position to be stripped from the magazine by the slide instead of being pushed ahead of it...or... in the extreme cases, escaping from the magazine completely.
    The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Magazine Function: The Dimple

Good read: 1911 Magazine Analysis: Following Up

Take note of the first two pictures and the text.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/index.html ***

Ruger mag: http://frontierfirearms.ca/media/cat.../9/0/90366.jpg

Maybe the Meg Gar mags is the best of both worlds... They remind me of my Star M45 mags. But some swear by ACT-MAG (which SIG supposedly uses, along with American Classic 1911s.) And yes, the ACT-MAGs had a problem splitting the mag lips. I've heard the same thing happened with Kahr mags.

The last round wouldn't completely go into battery. Changed out the mags to some others I had and the gun functioned perfectly... Funny thing was the ruger mags worked in two other 1911's I have?????
    Maybe it's a matter of wear. You installed two used mags and it worked perfectly. You installed your new mags into a 1911 with wear (let's say, for example, the slide release tab) and they worked perfectly. So it may just be a matter of the mags needing to break in (kinda like Glocks have to be filled to capacity for a week's time before they relax and allow easier filling.)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...azine-Analysis

Note where one user says, "nor is it prone to nosediving like McCormick Power Mag followers are." Obviously you don't have that problem.
    40Bob likes this.

You should try different mags before you run out and buy a lot of one kind. 1911's CAN be finicky.
    Aceoky likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Mine only had the one failure, unless it occurs again I'm not going to worry about it. The gun ran flawlessly for me otherwise.

I did look at the Wilson Combat safety though, and it does look very nice.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    Finally got a bit of time to get out today to try out the new Ruger 1911 I picked up. Meant to go last Sunday but got tied up in family business.

Only had time to put a hundred rounds through it, but had no major failures, one minor failure; a failure to go into battery. Otherwise it ran smoothly with consistent trigger pull from beginning to end. Recoil was easily managed and it felt great in hand, though I do wish it had some checkering on the front strap. I also found the extended safety tang to be a bit cumbersome, as I couldn't find a comfortable position with my right hand thumb underside it or above it. However with it's extra surface area and positive engagement/disengagement, I'm more than happy to work at finding the right grip for it.

Two screenshots included, the first sheet and the last sheet. Firing at a range of 15 feet and 10 feet, the grouping on the weapon was great, but I had a hell of a time getting it on target at first, and still struggled towards the end. Purely an issue on my end, and when I did hold steady it placed them tightly. The last mag I put on the first target started to eat out just around the 12-2 oclock position on the bullseye. The last target was at 10 feet and shot at a moderate-high rate of fire.

Overall I am really happy with it, just need to get my hold down better with this and used to the sights; which consistently threw me off as I am pretty used to my Walther PPQ's.

Will try to get it out again soon for a higher round count.

Edit: sorry for the double attachment, the one with some of the holes covered by the stickies was the first target at 15', the one without the stickies was at 10'
    Do yourself a favor before you do anything else, order a couple Check-Mate Industries USGI style magazines. CM45-7-B-GI 7rd, Blue, Fully Tapered Feed Lips (USGI Style) Dimpled Follower, Welded Base (Untapped), CM45-7-S-GI same magazine, but made of stainless.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links