Which Gun for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Which Gun for Open Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about picking up a Safariland 6378 ALS holster for occasional open carry. Problem is, I can't decide which gun to get if for ...

View Poll Results: Which Gun for Open Carry?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • P229 .40/.357

14 29.17%
  • Glock 19

15 31.25%
  • P220

19 39.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Which Gun for Open Carry?

I'm thinking about picking up a Safariland 6378 ALS holster for occasional open carry. Problem is, I can't decide which gun to get if for (I know, what a problem to have, right?). I'm trying to decide between a P229 .40/.357, Glock 19, and P220. I already have IWB holsters for the P229 and G19 for concealed carry, but I don't have anything for my P220. Do I get one for the P220 since I don't currently have a way to carry it even though it's bigger and has less capacity or stick with one of the others? Hopefully this won't turn into a caliber war!

VIP Member
    Whichever one you CC is the one that I would OC.

I'm with Stoveman, though I'm a fan of having 1 carry weapon, or two if one is for deep concealment needs. I can see value in getting it for one of your IWB weapons.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

If your going to OC its got to be good looking, nice 1911 basket weave leather, or this image.jpg loaded with some BB 125 JHP couple of strips should have added a nice 100x hat an lucasse ostrich boots just to round it out:)
    Last edited by Easy8; September 9th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Well, the P220 is two toned and I have a pair of 686s...

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    If your going to OC its got to be good looking, nice 1911 basket weave leather, or this image.jpg loaded with some BB 125 JHP couple of strips
    Took the words outa my mouth.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    I went with the glock 19 - because I have one. I agree with the above posters, use what you regularly use. I can get my weapon out of concealment almost as fast as I can when open carried - Lots of practice pulling up shirt or flicking back jacket but for those who use deeper concealment I can see where open carry makes all the difference in accessibility. Still use what "brung ya to the dance". Familiarity is King.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I vote 220 because I like the gun, I like the round, and while I can do it, a 220/226 is a bit tricky to hide. Plenty big.

I can (and do) hide my 19 and my M11 all day long with no problems.

On the extremely rare occasions that I open carry, it's a 1911 in a tricked out Sparks. Wish I had a 686 or a 29 to carry.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Ruger P-95 +P rounds.

If your going to OC its got to be good looking, nice 1911 basket weave leather, or this image.jpg loaded with some BB 125 JHP couple of strips
    Hmm...Maybe I need to rethink this. How about dual-wielding 686s in basket weave leather. May need some suspenders for this rig...

Ahh, nevermind, let's stick to the original options.

The poll is seriously flawed. No where near enough choices. My state allows open carry when fishing or camping or hiking. My choice is the .357 in a Colt Trooper.
    Aceoky and Gav1230 like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    OC the same gun as you CC familiarity with the weapon can save your life when the chips are down. as for the Glock, it's just too ugly to OC IMHO.
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

If your going to OC its got to be good looking, nice 1911 basket weave leather, or this image.jpg loaded with some BB 125 JHP couple of strips should have added a nice 100x hat an lucasse ostrich boots just to round it out:)
    When did OC become a fashion show? Seems to me it should be more about functionality.
    Ceapea likes this.
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Pick the one with the highest capacity, seeing as someone will be constantly trying to steal it or shoot you first.

What??
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You carry whatever you shoot well...I still like a nice 1911 with combat pachmyar grips...
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links