Decisions, decisions

Decisions, decisions

This is a discussion on Decisions, decisions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, got a call from Ruger this morning. They are offering a replacement sp101 in exchange for the 3 inch sp101 I sent back for ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Decisions, decisions

Decisions, decisions

Well, got a call from Ruger this morning. They are offering a replacement sp101 in exchange for the 3 inch sp101 I sent back for repair. The replacement will not be the same caliber.

I'm considering the 2.25 DAO. Another 3 inch or asking for 4.2 and maybe coming up with the difference in cash.

I was going to make this call on my own but since I am what would be described as a neophyte I came here for advice. I'm considering the snub DAO for snag free carry,and the longer barrels because it'll be a .357 I gotta head to town I'll check back in awhile. Thanks in advance for your time and any advice.

I have the 2.25 DAO it's a bit heavy for pocket carry but doable with the right trousers .357 can be done but I've started using it more with .38 special. The three inch is a good IWB carry handles .357 well. I've got a 4.2 on lay away. Did I say I like the SP 101?
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    I'm considering the 2.25 DAO. Another 3 inch or asking for 4.2 and maybe coming up with the difference in cash.

... it'll be a .357

For general IWB or OWB carry, I'd say the 3" SP-101 .357 is hard to beat. If your lifestyle and gear/clothing supports the 4.2" bbl, great. It'll offer you balance somewhat more akin to the GP-100 .357, given the longer format. My choice of all the SP-101's would be the 3" .357, but that's just me.

Interesting that your earlier 3" SP-101 was sent back for repairs. What was the issue, if we might ask? Severe enough that Ruger's replacing and not offering to repair and send it back, obviously.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    What, they're not making SP-101's in a 3" barrel anymore?

For your trials and tribulations I would say that you ask for what you want, difference in price be damned!

VIP Member
    I'd do the 3 inch.
    Aceoky likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I carry one everyday love it. Carry the 2.4 in a summer special

Go for the 4" 357 SP101. They are commanding a premium price and are very scarce.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Thanks for the replies. The sp101 I sent back was in 327 Fed mag. I bought it to take with me on the boat when I'm working. Stainless, six shots, and it shot the other .32 calibers. I thought great gun for the boat. Ammo did not seem to be a problem around here at the time. I did some googling and went ahead and bought it.

I had split cases in American Eagle and the 85 grain Fed Premium cases were bulged. Did some more googling and discovered people were having the same problem. Ruger was replacing cylinders and say now there are no more replacement cylinders. Even though mine was a later serial number I experienced the same problem. Ruger no longer offers the sp101 in 327. Near as I can tell there were some kind of quality control problem with some cylinders. Ruger customer service has been fine.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I carry a SP101 DAO 2" every day. Backed up by a LCR 357. They are great the Ammo possibility is multipul. From hot 357 medium 357, 38+P, Standard 38, or lightweight target loads. Can't beat e'm.

I'd get the .38SPL-only model since the .357 is just plain too much gun for most folk and you're likely to be shooting .38SPL 95% of the time. Practice with different weights to see which the gun is regulated for, then go with the +Ps for CC. Whenever you start to miss the .357 "ooomph," just feed her with some Buffalo Bore +Ps, Double Tap +Ps or Underwood Gold Dots. 38 Special Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

You can get a .357 SP101 anywhere. But the old .38SPLs are like hen's teeth. Now that it's been bought back it'd be the one to get while you can still get them.

No, chances are that you wouldn't be firing hot .357 loads out of a 2.5" - 3" gun. You'd probably end up firing the lighter loads, the ones closes to the .38SPL +Ps. Any short barrel firing any bullet with over 400# of muzzle energy will start to get a little harsh on the hands. ime. Now, if you have a 6" barrel, or longer, ...

Whew! Sounds more like a caliber issue (.327 Federal mag) than an SP101 issue. The .357 SP101 is a tried-and-true winner. IMHO, I'm a 3 1/16" barrel fan.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links