any .38 revolver people out there?

This is a discussion on any .38 revolver people out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; looking for pros and cons (despite the obvious "it can't hold as many rounds." & "the bullets is smaller.") starting research for the old lady. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: any .38 revolver people out there?

any .38 revolver people out there?

looking for pros and cons

(despite the obvious "it can't hold as many rounds." & "the bullets is smaller.")

starting research for the old lady.

she told me this morning that-- "IN HER DREAM LAST NIGHT", a man and woman (a couple) tried to push their way into the house, while she was home alone. she went straight into the other room to arm herself and proceeded to draw down (at arms length distance) on the woman trying to break in. --- at this point my only question is "did you shoot?" she says she did and i ask what happened next. turns out, in her bad dream, she shoots some female intruder in the face and the only thing she has to say for what happened next was "the husband didn't want to come in anymore."

hilarious, coming from the same woman that gave me "funny looks" when i told her that we needed a home invasion type plan the same way we needed fire drills and previously discussed escape routes....

Anyway, back to topic!
    ArmyCop likes this.
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

2. Remove Ads

Has she fired a double action revolver? When my wife's arthritis flares up she has problems with the trigger pull sometimes requiring the use of both index fingers to pull it.

That could be tough for practice but I bet if she ever really needs she wont notice an arthritis til after its over and done
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Has she fired a double action revolver? When my wife's arthritis flares up she has problems with the trigger pull sometimes requiring the use of both index fingers to pull it.
    Her gun needs an action job, with particular emphasis on a much lighter trigger pull. Then double action is not a problem.
    StormRhydr, tdave and Sister like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

K frame, 3 or 4 inch barrel, with 158-180 grain bullets.
    As good as anything.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    For "house guns/pistols" I would train her to use a semi-auto.
    Plain and simple reasoning here.
    A lot more home invasions are involving 3-6 crashers{thugs}.
    Her 5 or 6 shot ain't gonna cut it, even if there is only two.
    One perp coming in, and you're rolling the dice.

Just ask the lady down in Ga.
    It got him out of the house but he got in his car, drove away and crashed, then was taken to the hospital.

Now IF she is going to CC while out and about, I would say if she likes the size and comfort of a revolver, then by all means.
    We have 3 in our house, (Taurus 85, S&W 442 and a S&W 637)
    The Taurus and 637 have an exposed hammer, while the 442 does not.
    Load them up with either 158 grn. LSWC, OR what we use here; Speer GD 135 grn. short barrel +P.
    Or if she cannot tolerate those, try 125 grn. hollow points, NON +P.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have a Ruger LCR .38 special and it has a light trigger for a double action. It is not a hard pull at all. I also thing the .38 special +p jhp is a sufficient round for self defense. JMO.

Pros
    1.reliability
    2.quick into action
    3.if its loaded its loaded no questions about whats in the chamber
    4.Generally mid sized revolvers have VERY nice triggers(especially S&W)
    Cons
    1.Some people are leery of firearms with no visible or external safeties.
    2.Training to combat reload a revolver puts some folks off.
    3.equipment for revolver carrying and shooting is not as readily available these days as semi-auto equipment.
    The easy way is always mined.

Pros: low recoil, effective, simple to operate, very little dependency on ammo for proper function (you won't have to burn through a hundred rounds to make sure the ammo works, and bullets can be designed for effect rather than feed reliability), muzzle can be pushed against a BG without a slide to be pushed out of battery, no possibility of limp-wristing.

Cons: the obvious, low ammo capacity; slow reloading; pretty much the bottom end of the "good calibers," high bore axis relative to some autos can mean more muzzle flip relative to power.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Love revolvers for cc, for home use I like a little more capacity. I keep a CZ on nightstand an 870 under bed. Wife keeps her 642 on her bedstand both have flashlights. Keep cell phone in bedroom. The wife is 67 an 115 I got her 642 a really good action job an polished the trigger face an rounded it. Makes it a dream to shoot she does real well with it. Keep Buffalo Bore 158 soft cast LSJWC in it low flash low noise helps for confined areas. Also little yappy dog wont let anybody even get close without sounding off.
    StormRhydr and GhostMaker like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot101 View Post
    IN HER DREAM LAST NIGHT
    I have bad dreams also about home invaders. It is always the same thing: I point my semi auto, pull the trigger, and it won't shoot. Once or twice after hubby moved my gun from the safe back to my bedside holster he inadvertently pushed on the mag release and the magazine actually wasn't seated properly. Now I always check - but still have the dreams.

When awake I do not have problems shooting. It is just a dream thing.

Solution, which I am going to implement post haste: Keep revolver(s) and speed loaders by bedside. At the moment I have one nice big revolver but hope to be getting another (smaller) one. Perhaps that will stop the bad dreams.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    For "house guns/pistols" I would train her to use a semi-auto.
    Plain and simple reasoning here.
    A lot more home invasions are involving 3-6 crashers{thugs}.
    Her 5 or 6 shot ain't gonna cut it, even if there is only two.
    One perp coming in, and you're rolling the dice.

Just ask the lady down in Ga.
    It got him out of the house but he got in his car, drove away and crashed, then was taken to the hospital.
    There's some truth to this, but I wouldn't write off a revolver for this reason. Realistically, how many home invasions start with one or two bg's getting shot, and end with them finishing off the homeowner? They'd have to be pretty motivated. If one is concerned about it, a second (or third) revolver at hand beats reloading an auto.

Of course, more rounds are better, but six-for-sure has an upside. For example, Lance E. Thomas, after killing robbers at his store multiple times with revolvers, decided to "upgrade" to autos. What happened?

"The watch shop proprietor has been forced into an awkward hold on the gun, and he can only fire three rounds all straight into the chest of his opponent before his imperfect grasp causes the usually reliable SIG 9mm to jam. Without missing a beat, he drops it and grabs one of its big brothers, which he fires into the opponent five more times until the armed robber falls and stops trying to commit murder."

Urban Gunfighter ( The Lance Thomas story)
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I've got an "old" S&W .38 snubby that used to be my mom's. To my knowledge, she never shot it, but she liked keeping it loaded next to her bed.

Having just gotten my CWP a month ago, I haven't carried it yet (so many choices), but it's definitely compact, reliable, and the .38 cal is a respectable round. Shooting it at the range makes me glad I'm ambidextrous with a pistol.

Love my J-frame ;)
    scgunlover1 and SWIll like this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Get her a 12 pump with low recoil 00. It's what my 76 yo mom has, and she can shoot it too!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links