Kahr CM9 versus Beretta Nano for EDC/CCW? In NY, with a 7 round limit.

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9 versus Beretta Nano for EDC/CCW? In NY, with a 7 round limit. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had posted something similar in the thread below: I was just contemplating get a "pocket 9mm" for my CCW pistol to replace my Bersa ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr CM9 versus Beretta Nano for EDC/CCW? In NY, with a 7 round limit.

I had posted something similar in the thread below:
    I was just contemplating get a "pocket 9mm" for my CCW pistol to replace my Bersa Thunder 380 and the Kahr CM9 is on my short list. Essentially it is down to the Kahr CM9 or a Beretta Nano. I have thought about a Sig 290RS but I would like to keep the cost under $500. I handled the Ruger LC9 at the LGS but I didn't like the trigger or the way it rattled when I shook it. After reliability, size and weight are the next biggest factors. I carry everyday but I also want it to comfortable. I wear khakis and a button down shirt to the office nearly everyday or polos in the summer. I usually tuck my shirt as I have an IWB holster.
    What really draws me about the Kahr is its size and lightweight. The Nano is about the same size but is considerably heavier, about 30% more than the CM9. This is significant enough for me that despite its spotty reviews, single magazine, and long trigger I am still considering the Kahr. The Bersa is a great little gun but it is big and heavy for the .380 round it shoots and it has many little points and edges that dig into me; the slidelock, the safety level, the beaver tail, even the finger extension on the mag. While wearing shorts I would have liked to pocket carry.
    I am ready to move up to a 9mm and I would most often carry in a tuckable IWB holster but I would like the option to carry in a pocket holster occasionally, given the season and type of dress for the day. Any thoughts? Is there a pistol out there I should give a try? Mind you I live in NY with a 7 round carry limit meaning you can have a magazine that can carry 10 rounds (since the 1994 ban NY has stayed a 10 round mag state despite the feds letting it expire in 2004) but can only have seven in the mag, so 7+1. Also the ranges cannot let you rent pistols to try-out as you can only handle the pistols that are registered on your pistol permit so I can't even test a gun out before I buy it. It is all trial and error. Yep, this state sucks.

Out of those choices, I like the CM9. I have a PM9 (which is basically the same gun) and really like it. It is so easy to hide. It also has a super smooth trigger. The Nano is not a bad gun but I like the weight of the Kahr.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    well, if you can only have 7 rounds then you might as well go big. im thinking a 4" or 5" 1911 or a Smith & Wesson 627/327
    multistage likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    If you'd said Kahr K9 vs Nano, I might have a different view, but I dislike the Kahr polymer handguns, so I'd say Nano (which I own) but in NY, with the capacity limits, you may want something with 7+1 instead of 6+1, so a metal-framed Kahr may be a better bet in your case.. if it was me choosing, anyway.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Is iwb carry not a viable option for you. You stand a much better chance of a larger model being easier to shot for most. The cm9 and a couple other micro pistols can be a handful for many. I have pocket a cm9 for 3 1/2 years as my main carry pistol but it not an enjoyable pistol to shot. The larger cw9 is fine and that opens up other in the same class and price range. I have that one too.

my CM-9 has been totally reliable from day one on. i don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all, though my right hand does get imprinted with the checkering pattern by the end of a range session. my only concern is that about half of my magazines won't drop all the way out when the release button is pressed, and i have to pull them out manually. these mags have been relegated to range use, while the drop-free ones are carried for SD.

i dropped the Nano from consideration because it doesn't have a slide lock/slide release lever, which would make correcting a double feed jam very difficult. i notice that Beretta DID include a lock/release lever on their new Pico, mini .380. makes me wonder if the Nano Mk 2 will get such a feature when it is eventually released.

I truly love my CM9 for EDC. I don't know much about the Nano. I have a Beretta PX4 SC .40 that is much heavier than the Kahr. I find myself with the CM9 in a OWB holster(IWB doesnt work for me) every day because of the comfort, light weight, accuracy and with Horandy Critical Duty +P ammo, the punch I need.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    my CM-9 has been totally reliable from day one on. i don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all, though my right hand does get imprinted with the checkering pattern by the end of a range session. my only concern is that about half of my magazines won't drop all the way out when the release button is pressed, and i have to pull them out manually. these mags have been relegated to range use, while the drop-free ones are carried for SD.

i dropped the Nano from consideration because it doesn't have a slide lock/slide release lever, which would make correcting a double feed jam very difficult. i notice that Beretta DID include a lock/release lever on their new Pico, mini .380. makes me wonder if the Nano Mk 2 will get such a feature when it is eventually released.
    I find a slide release lever to be completely useless on a micro-compact. If the gun jams, you tap, and rack. No need for the lever to clear the gun, and you don't want to use a lever to release the slide anyway. When it counts, if the gun jams up, you won't want to rely on fine motor skills. Grab the slide, and rack it. I've had no need for a lever on my Nano, and if I do need to lock back the slide for whatever reason, I just put in an empty mag and rack it.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I own a Nano and a PM9 (fancier version of a CM9)
    The trigger on the Kahr smokes the Nano but the Nano IMO is the better built gun
    Better mags,beefier slide,way thicker barrel and nicer sights than a CM9
    However the Nano has no slide lock or takedown lever,its a totally different ideology and approach to a CCW weapon

I like them both but for different reasons,i carry the Kahr more often
    because its a tack driver the nano is accurate also but I shoot my kahr better

See I was of no help at all

for what it's worth, I have a K9 and a Nano, and I prefer the trigger and slide spring of the Nano. The Kahr is a pain to rack, and the trigger is heavy as sin. Maybe it's just my particular K9. That said, I love and EDC the nano. As for the slide lock lever, the lack of one narrows the gun and makes it snagless. It's also not really a needed feature. Take-down can be done with anything from a coin edge, to the extractor lip of a 9mm shell casing. (I've taken mine down a few times by ejecting the chambered round and using that round's lip to twist the break down screw.)

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I find a slide release lever to be completely useless on a micro-compact. If the gun jams, you tap, and rack. No need for the lever to clear the gun, and you don't want to use a lever to release the slide anyway. When it counts, if the gun jams up, you won't want to rely on fine motor skills. Grab the slide, and rack it. I've had no need for a lever on my Nano, and if I do need to lock back the slide for whatever reason, I just put in an empty mag and rack it.
    A slide lock lever can be useful in the event of a type 3 malfunction regardless of a pistols size,I would never consider a pistol for defensive purposes that did not have one.

If the gun fails that badly in a life or death situation, chances are you're not going to be around long enough to lock the slide back and monkey with fixing it.

I have a pm9 and love it. It is a tack driver for sure. I have not shot a Nano but I have handled a couple. Felt clunky and top heavy to me. Prolly is an okay gun. Most people that have bought them seem to like them. i had a chance to rent the pm9 and the first shot brought a smile to my face and I knew I had found my micro 9 I was looking for. If you do purchase a Kahr do yourself a favor and check out KahrTalk Home for the proper way to prep it prior to shooting. There is a lot of good info on that site with great people. Good luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by drewski1325 View Post
    I have a pm9 and love it. It is a tack driver for sure. I have not shot a Nano but I have handled a couple. Felt clunky and top heavy to me. Prolly is an okay gun. Most people that have bought them seem to like them. i had a chance to rent the pm9 and the first shot brought a smile to my face and I knew I had found my micro 9 I was looking for. If you do purchase a Kahr do yourself a favor and check out KahrTalk Home for the proper way to prep it prior to shooting. There is a lot of good info on that site with great people. Good luck on your decision.
    for what it's worth, the nano does feel top heavy... when it's unloaded. Most guns do, at least to me. My PPQ is the same way.. barrel heavy/top heavy until you have a full mag in it, then it's balanced just right.

The plus side to this, is I can tell if the gun is loaded or not as soon as I pick it up.

If I was limited to 7 rounds, it would either be a 686 or a 1911.

I guess I'm no help either. Or am I......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links