Kahr PM9 problem, well maybe not, but just some advice...

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 problem, well maybe not, but just some advice... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sat after qualifying with duty weapon and than back up and then a couple long guns, had to shoot my PM9 for 10 rounds, no ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Kahr PM9 problem, well maybe not, but just some advice...

Kahr PM9 problem, well maybe not, but just some advice...

Sat after qualifying with duty weapon and than back up and then a couple long guns, had to shoot my PM9 for 10 rounds, no biggie. First round, bang, second round nothing, but a click. I rack the slide and nothing but click. I rack it again, and bang, but no ejection. Now Im thinking this POS of **** is gone immediately. He tells, to rack it again and nothing. He's thinking my extractor is the problem. Looks at it, and tells me to fire again. Nothing. Drop mag, insert new one. Light primer tap and no bang. Rack it and bang, but no eject. Finally he says let me see it, I guess thinking Im limp wristing it, and same happens to him. He sends me to the armorer. He looks at me and says operator error, and the other TI says, I thought the same thing until it did the same to me. Armorer says its still operator error chuckling. So he tells me to take it apart, and says its dry. I see signs of oil, but its not dripping. Tells me to lube it wet and I mean wet. Loads a new mag, and nothing but bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. I was shocked at how much wetter this pistol must be compared to the glocks. That would have been scary as crap in a self defense situation as I would have surely been dead. How wet is everyone else lubing their PM9's or similiar Kahr pistols. Also, for you pistol experts, even though it fired one magazine flawlessly, could there be something else going on? The pistol has about 600 rds through it. Thanks
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I lightly lube only the contact points on mine.

Maybe clean out the firing pin channel? Mine had all sorts of gunk in it when I first got it (second hand from a pawn store).

Minimal to moderate amount of lube on my CW9 and no problems thus far. The issues you describe would frankly cause me to want to dump the pistol. If you have to run a gun that wet to get it to function there's something really wrong with it. A good detail strip and clean might improve performance a bit but I get the sense there's something really wrong mechanically with that gun. Usually when Kahr's malfunction it's FTF issues and the occasional failure to go fully into battery but I've never heard of the litany of issues you describe in a single shooting session.
    leathernuts likes this.

Advice? Get a LCR
    leathernuts likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Lol to be honest as soon as it started happening I was like I'm sticking to Glocks period.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4.
    ShooterGranny and DoctorBob like this.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

find out what was wrong with it, get it fixed and shoot the snot out of it. I've had 5 Kahr.....CW9/45, MK/PM/CM9....ALL have been perfect.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    Lol to be honest as soon as it started happening I was like I'm sticking to Glocks period.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4.
    Good instincts!

"Trust your feelings Luke." - Obi Wan
    leathernuts likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Where the primers dimpled? What did the fired brass primers look like? If the primers were pierced then molten lead could have gummed up the firing pin hole. (Did you put oil in the firing pin hole? That would be a no-no.)

Either the slide isn't going all the way into battery or you could have a burr in the firing pin channel or you need a new firing pin (probably heavier).

What ammo did you fire? S&B? Remington White Box? Tul Ammo?

KAHR PM45 AMMO Light primer strikes Deep seated Primers Misfires Tulammo - YouTube

Stronger Wolff Springs in CW9 [Archive] - KahrTalk Forums

Springs for KAHR ARMS Semi-Auto Pistols

Outright failure to ignite sounds like either a FP, FP spring, or ammo issue. If you're able to duplicate across several different types of cartridges, I'd bet the FP/spring would be the culprit. As some have suggested, there could be gunk or oil in the FP hole, gumming up the works.

Not an uncommon feeling, for me. The Kahrs are, bar none, probably the finest size/weight package that exists. But their spotty reliability has me stumped. Kahr, too, 'cause they can't seem to make modern renditions any more bullet-proof than earlier vintages. I'm still thinking they need to hire a killer magazine engineer, or contract with Glock to do it right. I'm sure that'd cure 98% of their cycling woes. Though, I doubt this change would cure the problem of ignition that you're experiencing now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I lightly lube only the contact points on mine.

Maybe clean out the firing pin channel? Mine had all sorts of gunk in it when I first got it (second hand from a pawn store).
    ^^^^ This. ^^^^

when oiling it up, try to avoid the striker channel, if you get too much in there it can cause light strikes. I agree with those that say there's something amiss with your PM9. I don't run mine wet at all, and I've never had a single problem. Sounds like it might be time for a new firing pin spring.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member

That's a pretty sure way to fix any karh problems .
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Was your PM9 new? Has it exhibited these failures before? I have several Kahr pistols & have had great luck with a rather "unique" procedure. My NIB Kahr pistols are immediately disassembled & STRIPPED OF ALL lubricant. 200-300 rounds of full-house ammo are fired with the dry gun speeding the "de-burr" process. The gun is then-again disassembled, throughly cleaned & lightly lubed at the factory-indicated (owner's manual) locations. Never had a subsequent bobble. Good luck with your Kahr.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Kahr Lube Diagram - KahrTalk Forums

Use this website Brother. Tell you everything you wanna know about your Kahr. Lots of helpful knowledgeable people. FYI I use my PM9 as a back up at work. Runs 100%. Replaced a Glock 27 which oddly enough was problematic. Glock rep was at the station the last time I had issues with it. He put in new guts. I sold the next day. I used to drink the Glock kool aid. Not anymore.
    leathernuts likes this.

Hi All,
    Sorry for not responding sooner, work, family and going back to school (night classes) has me limited. I hope I answer everyones questions/input:

Not new, over 600 through it.
    Never put oil in the striker channel, I just normally lube the front rails, a drop on each side of the slide channels, a drop where the barrel touches the slide (dont remember proper terminology-sorry), light coat over barrel and a drop where the take down pin goes in.

As far as ammo, it was dept issues pratice ammo which is usually winchester, not sure the exact type.

As far as the primer strikes, I personally did not look, but one of the training officers picked one up and said light primer strike.

So I did call Kahr this morning, they want me to send it in. So Im doing so next week just to be safe.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Never had any issues with my PM9 - great little pistol.

Currently have a CW45 which runs great - only problem early on was with an extended magazine that wouldn't feed the second round. A couple more sessions at the range ironed that out.

Kahrs are fine, well made weapons.
    It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links