Guns with .45 Colt / .410 barrels?

This is a discussion on Guns with .45 Colt / .410 barrels? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's one thing I wonder about guns that have barrels that can shoot both .45 Colt and .410 shotgun shells. There is a long distance ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Guns with .45 Colt / .410 barrels?

There's one thing I wonder about guns that have barrels that can shoot both .45 Colt and .410 shotgun shells. There is a long distance between the chamber and the rifling of the barrel, to accommodate the longer .410 shell.

So, for a barrel that shoots a 3" shell, there is about an inch and a half before the bullet contacts the rifling. In fact, there is an edge at this transition point. Does that present any safety issue? I mean the .45 bullet traveling loosely in a smooth bore, for at least 1.5", before striking the edge of the rifling. I'm thinking no, else manufacturers probably wouldn't sell the guns?
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

It doesn't present a safety issue, but it degrades the accuracy potential for the 45 bullet.
    The bullets jump from cylinder to the forcing cone has always been an issue for accuracy in revolvers.

Personally, I would not waste money on such a contraption.
    If I wanted the choice, I would buy a Drilling, or the new Savage 22/410 combo gun.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm wondering why it was even made! Rattlesnakes and dogs?

Senior Moderator
    They were made to be dual purpose guns. Whiles its true that the bullet jump degrades accuracy on the .45 Colt at normal ranges it isn't that noticeable.

I had a 10" T/C Contender barrel that shot the .45 and the 410. With the .45 it was good enough to kill stuff with out to around 50 yards.

The 410 had a choke that screwed in the end to stop the shot column from spinning. I killed a couple of limits of squirrels with it just because I could. I even popped a few quail with it. The pattern was good for about 25 yards, after that it was pretty well done and it only like Remington shells, nothing else worked as good.

The other guns like the Judges, have a rifled barrel that spins the shot column and scatters it all over the place so in reality 12-15 yards is about all you'll get for a usable pattern. While the concept sounds good in theory, in practical application its uses are limited.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

the first video they came out with had me sold on a judge, the ability to shoot a shot pattern through the passenger side window of a vehicle without any damage to the interior and putting a good spread on target had me thinking it would be something I would like to have as well as the fact that I can find 410 shells anywhere so ammo wouldn't be an issue.

Would I want it for an edc, no. I'd want it as more of an in the car gun or backpacking/ trail gun. Wandering through the dessert, a 410 load would be nice to have for snakes and smaller critters that I don't want around me and the 45 colt or 410 slug will take care of or at the very least put a world of hurt on most of the larger critters including the 2 legged variety, out there. It's still on my list for that purpose, just haven't gotten around to grabbing the one I want. Really want a new 357 and a couple others before I grab one though so it's fairly far down the list.

Out of utility I have always like the idea of a dual caliber gun. When used within its capabilities for each load a 45/410 is a ideal weapon whereultiple roles will be presented. A single shot fun firing both would be capable taking both big and small game at closer ranges, while handguns like the judge present a interesting variety of for gs, defensive carry , as a trail gun and more

It is best to let others believe you to be stupid, than to speak and prove them right
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links