Shocking 1911 thread from another forum

This is a discussion on Shocking 1911 thread from another forum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well i had just about convinced myself to dig deep in my pocket and buy a good quality 1911 in 4" for my EDC. I ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree438Likes

Thread: Shocking 1911 thread from another forum

Shocking 1911 thread from another forum

Well i had just about convinced myself to dig deep in my pocket and buy a good quality 1911 in 4" for my EDC. I have been doing a lot of reading on the 1911. There is plenty of good and bad information out there. I had convinced myself that if you stick to a 4"+ barrel length you could get a dependable EDC. That is until today when i stumbled onto a thread on the 1911 Addiicts site. Someone posed the question--Who out there owns a 1911, but carries a Glock for EDC instead? I was flabbergasted at the number of reply posts of 1911 addicts that admitted to carrying a Glock instead of their beloved 1911

After all of this reading i am hard pressed to pay $800 to $1000 for a 1911 for EDC when even the addicts don't carry them. I am not a Glock fan. I prefer Sig's. I know all the good things about Glocks, but that was not what I wanted to buy.

There sure are a bunch of 1911's for sale by many companies, but EDC does not seem to be popular amoung 1911 owners, or it would seem.

Anybody else come to this conclusion?

2. Remove Ads

Eh. I EDC a Kimber 3" 1911 most of the time. I did just get a Glock 26 and XDs (hasn't arrived yet) for summer carry with just a T shirt. With anything heavier clothing-wise I carry my 1911. I also carry a Kimber pro carry (4" 1911) in winter. Up here it is plenty easy to conceal for like 7 months out of the year.
    USM1976 likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I don't make my decisions based on what other people do, and you shouldn't either.
    Go with what you want to do for your own reasons and stop reading into what other people do.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I don't in anyway mean to sound rude,but the last thing i would do is base what i carry by people on the internet.If i knew them maybe i would listen.Unless you know them personally,you have no clue who they really are.

The 1911 gun is about the only automatic I am willing to take seriously for concealed carry. I have a hard time even wanting to own and try any currently popular pistol models.
    Poorly, OD*, glockman10mm and 7 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    The rationale is that if you are going with a 4 in. barrel, go with something with point and shoot capabilities, and more rounds of ammo per weight ratio.

These guys are using their .45's for fun/HD/competition and using .40/9mm/.357sig for CC.

YMMV, so act accordingly, and go with what YOU feel you should do , based on what works well for YOU.

If you live in a nasty neighborhood, and feel that 7-8 rounds isn't going to cut it and would feel better with 12-14 rounds of 9mm, go with that .
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Eh. I EDC a Kimber 3" 1911 most of the time. I did just get a Glock 26 and XDs (hasn't arrived yet) for summer carry with just a T shirt. With anything heavier clothing-wise I carry my 1911. I also carry a Kimber pro carry (4" 1911) in winter. Up here it is plenty easy to conceal for like 7 months out of the year.
    I suspect this is true of many of the 1911-guys-carrying-Glocks. A compact or sub-compact Glock is probably lighter and easier to carry than most 1911's, and this ends up being the deciding factor for many people, over dependability (though of course Glocks are dependable) and effectiveness. Heck, one of the best sellers out there is a Ruger LCP, and though plenty of people carry them, it's not because it's the best gun they can afford - it's because it's tiny.

So, I guess I'd suggest that you consider how you plan to carry and what works for you. If you think that in a year or two, you'll get tired of it and want something smaller, it might be better to make that decision now. If you don't think the weight or size or having to wear certain clothing will bother you that much, then I see no reason not to go with a 1911. Besides, if it's well-maintained, you may well be able to get back a good percentage of your money in trade, if you decide it's really not right for you.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

My daily carry is a government size 1911 and a spare magazine because it works for me. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it. Carry the best handgun you can afford, in the largest caliber you can control, with the most capacity you will carry every day.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyRivers View Post
    Who out there owns a 1911, but carries a Glock for EDC instead? I was flabbergasted at the number of reply posts of 1911 addicts that admitted to carrying a Glock instead of their beloved 1911.
    EDC = weight. You'll want to keep the 1911 at about 26 oz. That basically puts you into the sub-compact range (3" barrel) or a LWC. At that weight you can have a CZ P07 Duty (29 oz), a SIG P2022 (29 OZ), etc. What's a G19 weigh? 21 oz. 30 oz with a full mag. S&W M&P 9c - 22 oz. or a FN FNX (22 oz.)

I don't know if it's just Glocks, though. It may depend on how long they've been with a 1911. If it's been long then the S&W M&P with the safety will probably appeal to them more than a Glock.

If it's been long then a hammer fire may appeal to them more than a Glock - CZ P07 Duty (supposedly just as reliable as a Glock, and while it does have a DA/SA trigger, it comes with a SAO trigger that can be dropped in, making it possible to carry Condition 1 since the safety will block the sear), FN FNX (DA/SA,SAO,Decocker - TDA), Ruger P series (95/97D, P345/P95), and maybe a few others I can't think of at the top of my head.

I will never buy any firearm that has the safety on the slide. Muscle memory.

i am hard pressed to pay $800 to $1000 for a 1911 for EDC when even the addicts don't carry them.
    Don't kid yourself. Buy the M&P and chances are you'll spend $100 on the trigger, and add different sights. (But that Slide Lock is something else! Hate it. Can't be used as a slide release like on a 1911.) Buy the Glock and you'll probably end up installing a new trigger kit, tridium sights, a solid guide rod, maybe an extended slide release and extended mag release. Add it all up and you'll probably be in the same range of about $800 - $1000.

Between the M&P trigger and the Glock trigger, most would probably prefer the Glock flat face trigger. But the M&P can be had with a safety... Might as well just go over to the P07... But the controls don't feel right...

I don't like the G30 but may go with the G36. With a trigger kit. With SureSight sights. And a solid recoil guide.

SureSight only makes them for Glocks, XDs, M&Ps and some Sigs.

If it's just a matter of money, the S&W SD9VE is supposedly just as reliable and costs $300. But it's got a long trigger pull.

What sets the Glock apart from most is parts availability and accessory availability (sights, holsters, triggers, springs, etc.)

But yeah, I can see myself rocking a G36 with SureSights, G17 trigger and an inexpensive trigger job. Probably under $700. I still wish it had a safety, though.

I don't know if I would recommend a 1911 as a first pistol, though. I'd probably suggest the P07 Duty or the FN FNX, instead. But that's only because I come from hammer fire pistols. For your first pistol you will probably concentrate more on SA, DA/SA, DAO, Decocker, or DAK. And you will probably go with striker fire.
    Last edited by 1911er; September 10th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Carry the best handgun you can afford, in the largest caliber you can control, with the most capacity you will carry every day.
    That's a really good sentence concerning CC - could probably take care of half the questions on this forum.
    USM1976, msgt/ret, Remy and 1 others like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Carry the best handgun you can afford, in the largest caliber you can control, with the most capacity you will carry every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    That's a really good sentence concerning CC - could probably take care of half the questions on this forum.
    Very true, but it's the "best handgun" part that generates the other half of the questions on this forum...
    blitzburgh likes this.

Full size Colt for me.
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Well i had just about convinced myself to dig deep in my pocket and buy a good quality 1911 in 4" for my EDC. I have been doing a lot of reading on the 1911. There is plenty of good and bad information out there. I had convinced myself that if you stick to a 4"+ barrel length you could get a dependable EDC. That is until today when i stumbled onto a thread on the 1911 Addiicts site. Someone posed the question--Who out there owns a 1911, but carries a Glock for EDC instead? I was flabbergasted at the number of reply posts of 1911 addicts that admitted to carrying a Glock instead of their beloved 1911

After all of this reading i am hard pressed to pay $800 to $1000 for a 1911 for EDC when even the addicts don't carry them. I am not a Glock fan. I prefer Sig's. I know all the good things about Glocks, but that was not what I wanted to buy.

There sure are a bunch of 1911's for sale by many companies, but EDC does not seem to be popular amoung 1911 owners, or it would seem.

There are probably just as many, or more, who own Glocks but carry 1911's for EDC. Carry whatever trips your trigger but practice, practice, practice.

VIP Member
    I own a 1911 but carry a Glock. In the past I carried Sigs. In the future I'm thinking about changing to HK.

Lot's of fine gun makers out there. None of them are "wrong" for an EDC. We have to make decisions based on what we believe is most important, what risks we face routinely, and what we feel comfortable with. I personally love shooting 1911's but prefer more modern designs with higher capacity for carry. When carrying a small gun I prefer modern designs that tend to work better than small 1911s. That's my decision.

However when I'm doing something where a long gun is with me the game changes. I don't believe the world has found a better pistol as a secondary weapon than the 1911.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

OD*

ALWAYS listen to the advice of dozens of people who you have never met and who you know nothing about as to whether you made the right purchase or not.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links