Horse Tradin'...

Horse Tradin'...

This is a discussion on Horse Tradin'... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...lassoed a clean Smith Model 60 this mornin'...just too pretty to walk away from...before supper, I'd sold my 649...a good day all in all...runnin' outa ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Sister
  • 2 Post By manolito
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Horse Tradin'...

Horse Tradin'...

...lassoed a clean Smith Model 60 this mornin'...just too pretty to walk away from...before supper, I'd sold my 649...a good day all in all...runnin' outa room to carry 'em...and I don't have a safe...
    ...sold the 649 to a fine Texas gentleman...and we celebrated with a good Mexican meal and a sprinkling of BS and tall tales...a thoroughly enjoyable evening...
    ...he's got a boy headed for Afghanistan...probably as we speak...let those that pray include Gavin for the next few months...second tour...young Marine...Semper Fi!!!

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good day, but we need pics.
    Taurahe likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

...I don't have that training...the 649 might get posted later on, though...a Model 60 is a Model 60...same as it was when I bought my first one in about '73...feels good to have another...it's a 2" .38 (1 7/8") and from the 80s, I think...really clean and has a convincing whisper...

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Sounds like a good day, but we need pics.

gotta see some pics

If Ruger didn't make the SP101 I'd probably have an S&W Model 60, great wheelies.

Did you get a 2" or 3" barrel?

edit: it's too late, I just came back here and realized my question was answered in the post above mine. Good night, I should go to bed.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

...the older 1 7/8" in .38Spl...and my SP DAO .357 is the reason I parted with my 649...I'm glad to get another M60...I won't bob the hammer on this one...took the pretty factory grips off and sent 'em with the 649...kept my old, worn Packy Compacs on the M60...feels like it oughta feel now...

Distinguished Member
    Congratulations on your trade, glad you got what you wanted
    Aceoky likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Nice trading Snub!

Very nice-looking gun, I imagine...
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Congrats.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Snub let me get this straight. You found a gun you wanted and you had a gun you wanted to replace? You then bought the one gun sold the second gun and had dinner all in one transaction in America?

Amazing how that works only in America. Try doing that in either country that borders ours.

Congratulations on the new to you gun.

Bill
    Aceoky and Snub44 like this.

Hmmm...

Don't know about that gentleman part but might know something about this particular "meet 'n greet." As expected Snub44's even better in person than on the forum. He knows how to pick Mexican restaurants that make killer cheese and onion enchiladas. For that matter the beans and rice and hot sauce was extra tasty too. He likes good guns too. Turned loose of one of them that is first rate. An upright, hard-working, fellow, originally from that state just to the east of Texas. Has reared three boys of his own to be solid American citizens of the type this nation needs so badly. And folks, we have a crying need for folks who will rear responsible society members.

He's not a good influence though, tempting the weak with models that have been firmly on the "want list" for some time. A traditional Smith & Wesson Bodyguard (not the current abomination Smith & Wesson calls a Bodyguard in its catalog), that "ugly duckling" with the hump back frame concealing the hammer spur, rectifies a wrong I committed back in 1998 when I succumbed to all the hoopla about the Smith & Wesson Model 642-1 and bought one. Could a', should a', would a' bought a Bodyguard at the time if I'd known better. Over the years I've about decided the Model 642 is overrated.

Now I had long envisioned that a blued Model 49 had parked on the "want list," not ever having been a huge fan of stainless steel. Up comes Snub44 with a Model 649 and twisted my arm about the practicality of stainless steel over my beloved image of a blued Model 49. Maybe he has a point about a "usin' gun." Anyway it's nice as can be with a really good J-Frame action. Sure hoping to get to the dove hunting spot this weekend to give it its inaugural shooting session. Fewer J-Frames live here than other Smith & Wessons as well as few stainless steel models so a Model 649 is a welcome addition to the family.

I'm tapped out! All outa dough! Can't buy no more pistolas! So don't ask! This isn't even the first handgun I've been compelled to pick up from Defensive Carry Forum members. Another fine Southern Gentleman DC member somehow managed some long-distance arm twisting in the very recent past and forced me to acquire another handgun, an oldie of which he had a spare. It has been on the "list" forever but is a model not often seen these days. My uncle had one when I was a kid. It was an older gun back then so what does that make it (and me) now? Have had it less than two weeks.

Shooting reports over the next few months after I get acquainted with these two.
    Snub44 and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links