Lets revisit a great debate from the past

This is a discussion on Lets revisit a great debate from the past within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was going thru some old reading material, and came across a ST rag dated 1989. The content was mostly articles of the virtues of the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Lets revisit a great debate from the past

Lets revisit a great debate from the past

Was going thru some old reading material, and came across a ST rag dated 1989. The content was mostly articles of the virtues of the single stack autos vs revolvers. Back then, Glock was not that popular, and the primary focus was on S&W single stacks and revolvers by S&W and Colt.

There were a couple of ads for the new Colt Cobra, and S&W 9mm autos.

No mention of the Glock at all, even though it had been on the market for 4 or 5 years.

So I thought it would be fun, for those that remember the bottom feeders vs revolvers to chime in on their recollection, and their pics at that time.

I remember having a Smith M19, M10, and bought a new 1991 Colt when they came out. Back then I didn't know much at all about the 1911, and good quality mags were not prevalent like today.

I strongly favored the revolvers, especially the 357 magnum.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

I had a M 19 (KSP trade in) one of the very best revolvers I have ever owned
    USM1976 likes this.

Oooh.

1911 vs: Python

There simply is no loser...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

My carry guns were 357 magnum revolvers, a 4" 686 to be specific loaded with 145 GRN STHP's. The 1911 I owned at the time was a Colt Officers Model, had owned it since it hit the streets in 1985 and I would sometimes carry it a second gun instead of my Walther PPK/s. I really do not remember a problem concealing a 4" L frame in El Paso, even in the summer heat.

My rational on the wheel gun was this: I shoot it just as good as the 1911, it has 6 shots of 357 mag VS 7 shots of 45 ACP. Even then I was reloading my revolver faster than most shooters with auto's. I felt then and still do that the 357 mag gives one quite an edge over the 45 ACP.

Those years after the FBI Miami shootout were filled with people examining there gear and tactics.
    Aceoky, glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I remember learning and practicing the " tactical " revolver reload. Load two at a time and fire as needed until you had time to load all six, or 5, from speed strips.

Taurus had made its appearance a few years earlier.
    People could actually shoot and make tight groups at speed with a double action trigger.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

hmmm... i was about 4.. so ummm.. yeah, ill stick around for the reading.
    Taurahe likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

If it wasnt for my FS 1911, i wouldnt even own an auto. I am much better with my revolvers and am a fan of the .357. YMMV,
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    My carry guns were 357 magnum revolvers, a 4" 686 to be specific loaded with 145 GRN STHP's. The 1911 I owned at the time was a Colt Officers Model, had owned it since it hit the streets in 1985 and I would sometimes carry it a second gun instead of my Walther PPK/s. I really do not remember a problem concealing a 4" L frame in El Paso, even in the summer heat.

My rational on the wheel gun was this: I shoot it just as good as the 1911, it has 6 shots of 357 mag VS 7 shots of 45 ACP. Even then I was reloading my revolver faster than most shooters with auto's. I felt then and still do that the 357 mag gives one quite an edge over the 45 ACP.

Those years after the FBI Miami shootout were filled with people examining there gear and tactics.
    Can't get your like button to work.

But yeah, those were some really cool years. I carried my M19 in an x15 Bianchi holster.
    And....I actually carried my own Colt 1911 when assigned to Battalion Sgt of the Guard, locked and cocked, and with my CO's approval!
    Me and my friend used to go to the PX and buy every gun rag that had something in it from Cooper, Jordan, or Jim Wilson. Mas was still relatively new to us back then, but was among the very first to pick up and promote the Glock.
    gatorbait51 and 40Bob like this.

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I can't speak for the rest of the country, but the following seemed to be the case in the north Georgia areas..

Back in the mid to late 80s "PPC" was the hot handgun shooting sport, in the Atlanta area. Revolvers were the rage then, although the competitors were complaining about the quality of the newer Colt and Smith revolvers. Quite a few folks were shooting "Bullseye" and the Colt 1911 "Gold Cup" was their tool of choice. Other competitions requiring Autos were on the upstart. Most folks were using 1911s or Browning Hi-Powers. About the only custom 1911s were "Fishers". I remember the "Ooos and Ahhhs" when someone saw a "Fisher" for the first time.

Colt Pythons and Troopers along with S&W Model 19s and 27s were "the" guns to own.

Most of the local LEOs still carried revolvers. Most carried model 10 or 19 S&Ws, Colt "Police Positive" or "Troopers". On occasion you would see LEOs with Model 28 S&Ws or Colt Pythons. Very seldom did you see LEOs with autos. When you did, it was a 1911 or Browning Hi-Power. Walther PPKs and Colt Cobras were the choice for some my fiends that were with the "Georgia Bureau of Investigation".

What I found interesting back then, as compared to today, was the amount of LEOs at the shooting ranges and competitions. Seems like half the people there were from some sort of law enforcement department or agency.

Fast, light bullets became the rage back in the early 70s. I had a few boxes of "Super Vel" 357 110gr and 45ACP 190 gr, that I recently sold to cartridge collectors. I regained my logic, reasoning and common sense about 30 years ago and have gone back to the heavier bullets.

My primary carry is still a 1911 in 45ACP. On occasion I will carry a Python or S&W 28-2.
    Aceoky and 40Bob like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

"People could actually shoot and make tight groups at speed with a double action trigger."

I still do. I can shoot faster and more accurately with my old Smith Mod. 66 than either my CZ-75 or Sig P-220 (that one's close though).
    USM1976 likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Ah yes, Super Vel, the invention of Lee Juras. And then the stopping power debate began.

Big & slow VS small & fast - still "alive and well" today LOL
    glockman10mm, 40Bob and Poorly like this.

mkh
    In those days it was S&W .357 revolver all the way for me. I didn't like auto pistols and to be honest didn't get my first one until late 2008. But resistance proved futile and I'm all in now.

Jams in autos were so common, as to be expected.
    So much so, that clearing them was an integral part of training.

The savvy chose revolvers.
    The PPK and model 36 Chief were the pocket guns. The only pocket guns.

Can't get your like button to work.
    I hear that a lot.....
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links