If hard times struck...

If hard times struck...

This is a discussion on If hard times struck... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Say you lost your job and somehow can't get reemployed again. Or got sued and lost all your money. Or that Great Depression hits. You're ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: If hard times struck...

If hard times struck...

Say you lost your job and somehow can't get reemployed again. Or got sued and lost all your money. Or that Great Depression hits. You're out of dough but you still need to buy those bare essentials that are needed to feed and support you and yours.

You resist selling off your guns but the time has unfortunately come and liquidating your beloved collection is upon you.

Question is: if you could keep just one gun and have to sell everything else off which would you keep? Lets assume that one gun will have to serve multiple roles: HD, CC and/or OC.

1 I don't do hypotheticals

2 what do you mean IF a great depression hits?

-from my phone... excuse spelling
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

This actually recently happened to me. I sold my .50 cal modern muzzle loader and a CPX-1 Skyy 9 mm. It was not the ideal situation, but had to feed the rug-rats!

Still got pleanty of guns though 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Hard to say,unless it happened,which i hope it doesn't obviously.

I'd keep my 870. I can hunt squirrels, rabbit, birds, and deer with it.It could double as HD. It wouldn't work to good for CC but still waiting here to get things lined out for CC. I have other guns I like more but the 12gauge can put food on the table. A shotgun and a fishing pole can put food on the table for awhile.

Im single so I would eat of a dumpster before i sold my guns. I did it once several years ago, and I regret it everyday. But to play along...... my .22 rifle. It can kill squirrels, rabbits, birds, deer, and more, defend against BG's, anyone can shoot it, and it is affordable to shoot on a budget( even now you still get alot of ammo for the price)
    Eric357 and Tzadik like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Hard times just about struck last year when I lost both my long-term main clients (I'm a graphic designer) and one turned into lawsuit/countersuit. My husband is an LPC but moved to a new office because the former company he worked for said the insurance companies weren't reimbursing, therefore he couldn't get paid (long story, several former employees about to take action for the same reason). So we were owed a lot of money that hadn't come in. The majority of the income was coming through me, and it was the worst timing ever when I lost those jobs and had to pay for a Miami attorney and fly down to FL multiple times. I'm a work-at-home mom and it's hard as heck to find full employment working from home. We don't live paycheck to paycheck, but I don't like dipping into the dough we've squirreled away in retirement and college funds for the kids. But I don't regret losing those jobs, because while I didn't lose those clients through my choice, they needed to be out of my life forever.

So I've been through the mental phase, wondering what we could whittle down and live without if it got to that point. There's lots of things you can do without or minimize. TV bill, internet access (go to a library or a free wifi place), eating out, etc. I have lots of things to sell if I had to.

Luckily, everything worked out. Lawsuit was settled in mediation to my satisfaction, my husband has started his own company with a partner and it's successful and profitable enough that I don't have to find replacement work, and that frees up a lot of time for the kids, house projects and DC. I consider myself very blessed and only through a hard time did things become wonderful.

But if I had to do it, I'd keep my Colt Cobra, because that's what I've got on me right now. Lightweight, reliable, concealable.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

If the really bad WERE to take place - IMO- you'd need guns worse not less YMMV
    Chesafreak, TVJ, RichB70 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    If the really bad WERE to take place - IMO- you'd need guns worse not less YMMV
    Not talking zombie apocalypse. I'm talking peacetime. Say right now. And you're out of money and had nothing else to sell off but your guns.

Thinking a little more my second choice would be my ruger gp100 5inch .357. I could still hunt with though not as effectively (shotgun easier to aim and shoot small game) and it could double as a "large" CC . And if I ran out of ammo I could club animals to death.
    DetChris likes this.

As much as I love my Glocks, I may have to default to my 4 inch Ruger SP101. Revolvers need less TLC and are more reliable and the choice of .38 sp or .357 mag is great for various reasons. Plus the SP is easy enough to conceal. Good for HD and hunting with .357 loaded.

That would be my "one gun".
    Eric357 and voodoo304 like this.

VIP Member
    I had my house built with a real chimney. It has a gas fireplace, but if I had to, I could rip it out and burn wood in there.

I have wells with drinking water that is so good, I could probably sell it.

I have a LOT of crap that I don't need, which I could sell off. The problem with liquidation, is that it doesn't solve cash-flow problems. It's a one-time hit, and if you don't solve it, you'll run out of cash quickly again. Guns and ammo would be what fed and protected us. I don't see me selling any tools that are essential to survival.

Emphasis would be on repeatable means of sustenance by producing it for our own consumption, and the ability to produce goods that we could barter with.

i would be the only bum on the side of the road packing heat.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member
    Real easy. My Glock 19 and I am not even a Glock lover. I can carry it and use it for home defense. It is the best tool for the job and the one I pack in my hurricane bag. Other than its perfect size, I like the fact that I do not have to worry about keeping it properly lubricated in an emergency situation and I can disassemble it and put it back together with just the Glock punch. Plus I have the essential spare parts for it. I have bought and sold Glocks about 7 times as they do not speak to me but if I had to choose just one gun for home defense, ccw, emergency bag, etc.. The Glock 19 would be the one despite being the one I would sell off first if I did not have to just have one gun. :)
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Sigh.

My 1911's would go.

My beloved P7's would go.

Everything would go, until...

It would come down to my 629 Mountain Gun 4" .44 or my 3" Model 65...and that would be a tough call.
    Eric357 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links