FN Pistols

This is a discussion on FN Pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Anyone have any problems with the FN pistols, either the striker fired or the SA/DA models? They don't seem to be real popular. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: FN Pistols

FN Pistols

Hi,

Anyone have any problems with the FN pistols, either the striker fired or the SA/DA models? They don't seem to be real popular. I like how all the controls are ambi (i'm left handed).

Any difficulty manipulating the small safety? Is it difficult to find holsters or other accessories?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    FN builds top notch stuff, they are one of the largest firearm company in the world. i have shot a few of their pistols and from what i can tell they are well built and all the ones i have came across worked flawlessly.

unpopular? how so? the FN/browning hi-power is one of the most popular pistols in the world.

if you are speaking of the newer stuff it may because that FN is not really focused on pistols. they are more known for their machine guns. and have only recently begin to cater to the civilian pistol market. they came out with the Five-Seven around 2000 and the FN P9 around 2006 and have since only added a two more to the line, the FNS and FNX. the 5.7 is a niche market gun so considering that they only have three other models to choose from and there for take up less of the market share.

there is nothing wrong with any of their pistols, i just dont think they fit my hand very well but i can say that about a lot of guns out there. mechanically speaking i think they are great, if you like the way they handle i wouldn't hesitate on getting one. it's best that you go to your LGS and handle one, only you can be the judge of how much you like the controls on the pistol.

what accessories are you thinking of? as far as i know most holster makers offer something for the FN pistols. which one in particular are you thinking of?
    357and40 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    They're great guns. But there are guns that are very similar at lower price points. That keeps them from gaining the market share that they'd want to see to get more involved in the market.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I had an FNP45 Tactical. It was a nice gun, the whole FNX/FNP line seemed pretty good to me. Ultimately I just like HKs better so I traded the FNP45 Tactical in towards a USP45 Tactical. The main complaint I had of mine was that it clearly wasn't designed to be run Condition One/Cocked-and-locked. Can't fault the gun, it works well. But although you can technically carry it that way the safety is rather small and doesn't click with a very positive detent. But if you like tradition SA/DA it's a good gun.

It does seem like handguns were an afterthought. They seem more focused on rifles.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Nothing wrong with them (anymore), just a tad overpriced for what you're getting. Like Walther, they occupy that odd spectrum in the price range where you could spend a little bit more and get a Sig or HK, or spend $100-$150 less and get an M&P or Glock.

If you've got your heart set on one, they're good guns and you won't regret it.
    blitzburgh and zonker1986 like this.

I've yet to own one because as the posters above stated, I could get something similar for less or just a little more. I do however have my heart set on the FN5.7 as a "fun gun", but I just keep coming across other weapons I'd get more use out of when I have the cash to spare.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have an FNS9 and love it. I carry it occasionally. But if I had to choose between the FN and my G17, the glock would get my vote.

Personally I think the FN is a better pistol, however in the magazine and holster department, which makes the gun more usable to me, the glock wins hands down.
    That being said, if I had similar Holster options and the availability of 33 round mags for the FN, I would sell the glock and never look back.

ETA: I got the FN for 499 on LEO discount. The price for the model without night sights was the same as what I paid for my G17, about 420.

I've had a fnx-9 for about a year, carry it for work and ccw, its had over 2000 rounds through it, two FTE in the first 50 rounds but no issues since. 17 rounds is a great comfort, I carry with one in the chamber, safety on, but when on duty(security) I carry safety off in a level 2 holster. It is a great firearm.
    EdJean likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    Nothing wrong with them (anymore), just a tad overpriced for what you're getting. Like Walther, they occupy that odd spectrum in the price range where you could spend a little bit more and get a Sig or HK, or spend $100-$150 less and get an M&P or Glock.

If you've got your heart set on one, they're good guns and you won't regret it.
    ^^^ What he said.

I've looked real hard at them many times, but when I had the money to spare, I ended up with Sigs. When I didn't, M&P's.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    One of my daughters bought an FNP9, she likes it. I haven't got to shoot it yet.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I will add that there don't seem to be as many holsters out there for the FNX series at there are for Glocks and M&Ps. I wouldn't rule out getting another FN pistol down the road; they are good guns. I kind of wish I still had my FNP45 Tactical but I couldn't afford the HK w/o trading it.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I had an FNX-9. Great pistol that I could keep in SA mode with a safety, DA/SA mode with a safety or DA/SA mode without a safety. They do not advertise much so outside of those into guns more than casually, they are relatively unknown. They are noted for their military rifles and bring that same quality and attention to their handguns. I had no trouble finding holsters from several manufacturers. They are often considered the poor man's HK due to their similarities and quality but cheaper price.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

The FNX pistols are as good as it gets IMO. I own 3, two 9mm and a 45. Out of the 50 something pistols I own the FNX-9 is my wife's favorite so I had to get her one of her own. We have thousands of rounds through ours and all are 100% reliable. They are light, the FNX-9 weighs just under 22 oz, you get three 17 round mags and the fact it is a DA/SA were the main factors that drew me to the FNX. I don't own a striker fired pistol, as a matter of fact the FNs are my only "plastic" guns. They are well designed and comfortable to shoot and maintain. Easiest take down of any pistol I have handled. All of the controls are ambi which is a plus to some. They also all come with 4 different back straps to adjust grip size and feel. Also some of the info on pricing in this thread is off base. I buy guns for a shop, A FNX-9 or 40 should cost almost exactly the same amount as a Gen 4 Glock, $50-$60 more than a Gen 3. I don't think the FNX pistol should be considered the poor mans anything, its a great firearm.
    357and40, tcbrad98 and EdJean like this.

Old_Dog, did you have any issues with the size of the safety? I guess I'm used to larger levers, but I had trouble finding the safety quickly on the draw. My main issue was probably more in my head than reflecting reality, but I found the detent wasn't very positive on my FNP. It was very easy to swipe the safety off, moreso than I am comfortable with. It wasn't an issue really for the 45 Tactical since it's too big to carry anyway. But I don't think I would run one of the FNX9/40's Cocked-and-locked on account of it.

Besides that they're very nice.

I felt the same way. FN WHO? Just another Euro Arms Maker.....Till i went to the NRA Convention in Houston and talked with one of their people I learned of the connection between John Browning and Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Herstal, Belgium. He explained the commitment to US Military and NATO. That their FN FAL was nicknamed "THE RIGHT ARM OF THE FREE WORLD". Handling their firearms at the show and the reps little history lesson had me hooked. I would love to get a FNX sometime next year (When finances work out better).
    357and40 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links