Makarov: do you own one and is it your favorite carry piece?

This is a discussion on Makarov: do you own one and is it your favorite carry piece? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The title basically says it all. I'm becoming a big Russian firearms fan. I consider my 91/30 and AK-47 among my most favored guns. So ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Makarov: do you own one and is it your favorite carry piece?

The title basically says it all. I'm becoming a big Russian firearms fan. I consider my 91/30 and AK-47 among my most favored guns. So I thought about picking up a Mak as my next piece to grow my Ruskie arsenal, possibly even carrying it.

Yeah yeah I know: use the search function. But there haven't been recent threads on this so I'm looking for more up-to-date input from owners of Maks and if it's your favored carry piece (and if so, why?). While you're at it, whether or not you actively carry it, what makes your Mak stand out from your other pistols?

Appreciate the input!

Senior Moderator
    I have a .380 makarov and it is a decent carry pistol. But my Bersa is a better and more comfortable shooter
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Had a Russian one in 9X18. Carried it a bit, but could never quite warm up to it - the recoil was a bit stout for the gun's size, not horrible but no fun either. At the time there weren't many concealable holsters. Ended up selling it to a collector. Not a bad gun, but there are many better choices available.
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Being as I'm in Illinois, I can't carry, but when I'm finally able to I can definitely see me stealing my wife's Bersa Thunder .380 on occassion. Not my ideal defensive round, but the thing is reliable, accurate and small. Fits my hand like a glove, too.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

I have a makarov chambered pistol (a Radom P-64 in 9mm makarov). It's my typical every day carry whenever I don't feel like stuffing a full size down my pants.

Stings your hand good to shoot it, but to have a pistol in that size with that ridiculous amount of reliability that is more powerful than .380 is very worth it. One of the best pistol purchases I ever made.

My Dad tried carrying his Russian makarov. The front sight tends to snag on the draw and the lanyard loop is uncomfortable. He's waiting for his Shield to come back from the recall and that will be his edc.

I've been considering one for the wife I see Hornady makes Critical Defense Load for it 95 grain 1000fps 212 foot lbs.

I used to have a Makarov. I was at the gun store and I think it was on sale for 169.00, brand new. It looked interesting and I couldn't resist. It was not always easy to get ammo (9x18) but it was a neat little gun to shoot. Very accurate for being a short barreled compact. I wouldn't have dreamed of carrying it for defensive purposes. The fixed barrel (blowback operated; barrel does not move--fixed to the frame) is probably the reason it was so consistently accurate, but may have also been the reason it was unreliable. It experienced regular failures to feed. Besides, even back then there were similarly sized pistols in more appropriate chambering. Also, it holds an 8-round mag of those little bitty bullets and has a heel clip mag release.

I wouldn't mind having one to play with but I wouldn't trust it to shoot when needed to. If my options were limited to that price range (I'm sure they cost more now) I'd carry a 38 snub.

when i was a salesman in a gun store in the late 1990's-early 2000's, i recommended the Makarov pistols to many people as the least expensive gun that you could stake your life on. at that time, Russian-made Maks could be bought for around $200, with the German ones bringing $50-$100 more. Chinese Maks were virtually unavailable - i only remember seeing one during those years, and it was bringing a premium price.

for a while i collected Makarovs, eventually ending up with 4-5 German ones, a Russian one with adjustable sights, and a Polish pistol chambered for 9x18. Don Hume made a good, inexpensive leather holster for them - the J.I.T. Slide. i shot every one of my Maks, and i cannot remember experiencing any failures of any kind.

like charliefox in post #3, i felt that the recoil was a bit harsh for the power obtained (a consequence, IMO, of the gun's blowback design), even though the gun was all steel.

a few years later, my priorities shifted, and i sold off all my Makarovs.

on the rare occasions when i've seen a Makarov for sale in the past year, the asking prices have been higher - $300-$400, and as others have said, i think that there are better choices (such as Bersa), for today's budget-minded buyers.

my opinion of the Makarov's virtues have not changed, however. they are well-built, rugged, reliable guns, easy to disassemble and clean, and they chamber a cartridge that is adequate for SD use.
    DetChris and amendment4 like this.

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I own a CZ82,its easy to shoot and cheap to own
    runs like a champ but very primitive ...
    DetChris likes this.

Not quite ready for carry in Illinois yet, but I have an E. German Makarov which I trust 100%. It has never bobbled with anything I've fed through it. Recently got some Buffalo Bore cast ammo for it and am anxious to try them out, as that should nudge it closer to 9mm specs. Not certain yet what I will carry, but this Mak is in contention.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Don't own one, but my friend does. I won't ever buy a pistol with a slide mounted safety. If you buy the Mak get Pearce Rubber Grip Makarov 8 Shot for it.

I've looked for a vg condition CZ82 but mostly I've found very worn ones. The CZ has a barrel like the Glock, even though it's a blowback.

VIP Member
    Haven't seen one for sale around here in years.

Haven't owned one and it's not on my radar screen.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    I own a CZ82,its easy to shoot and cheap to own
    runs like a champ but very primitive ...
    Basically describes my Mosin Nagant and AK-47. Something about the sheer simplicity and effectiveness that resonates with me.

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    I own two Bulgarians, one an Arsenal commercial I bought NIB in 1999 and a 1987 used military surplus bought recently. The Mak is an outstanding EDC and has performed in that role for me on a regular basis in an OWB set-up. The Hornady normal XTP loading is a very good performer, and superior to the gimiky Critical Defense stuff.
    DetChris likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links