Thinking of a 1911

Thinking of a 1911

This is a discussion on Thinking of a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering getting my first 1911 in a commander size. I am looking to stay under a $600 price tag, what are some good ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Thinking of a 1911

Thinking of a 1911

I am considering getting my first 1911 in a commander size. I am looking to stay under a $600 price tag, what are some good dependable guns in my price range?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

In that price range, I'd be looking at a Rock Island Armory.

You might be able to find a well-used Springfield Champion...but it would take some looking.
    rigel42, msgt/ret, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    A Springfield Mil-spec is a great choice in that price range, but it's full-size. Got one on my hip right now, very reliable. Until this past weekend never a malfunction, and so far no actual stoppages while shooting. Seems my recoil spring is getting worn and I have a chip in the extractor. New parts on the way.
    sonnycrocket likes this.

I second the choice of a Rock Island Armory compact 1911. They are vastly under-rated. People tend to be suspicious of them because of the price (around 500). But they are well made, reliable, and Armscor is second to none in customer support and service.

I hAve been eyeballing different makers and have the rock island arms to be very well made. I currently have a first production Springfield GI commander.... The rock island arms guns are very smooth and solid. I have my eye in a 9mm tactical . The springer mil specs are nice but he sights are lacking. The stock sights on the Rita guns are much better

It is best to let others believe you to be stupid, than to speak and prove them right
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Have you looked at the American Classic Commander? I too am considering a 1911 and I have seen very good reviews for them and the price is reasonable.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I've heard quite a few people say that the pistols from the Philipeans are quite good. There are several Iver Johnson's at my LGS, and I've been considering one for a drop-in threaded barrel (that I already bought). Like the Rock Islands everything is not billet milled, but every stress part is. From what I've heard they are using old Colt machines with cheaper Philipino labor.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by coondogger View Post
    I second the choice of a Rock Island Armory compact 1911. They are vastly under-rated. People tend to be suspicious of them because of the price (around 500). But they are well made, reliable, and Armscor is second to none in customer support and service.
    Exactly! Life time warranty and they mean it ! I own two (GI and Compact) and could not be more happy if they were $1K pistols , many times you get what you pay for with RIA you get so much more!

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    A Springfield Mil-spec is a great choice in that price range, but it's full-size. Got one on my hip right now, very reliable. Until this past weekend never a malfunction, and so far no actual stoppages while shooting. Seems my recoil spring is getting worn and I have a chip in the extractor. New parts on the way.

Springers are nice,just got one a few weeks ago love it but they only make full size now

Ruger IMO has the best 600 dollar 1911 you can buy today.....MADE IN USA !
    Snub44 and Fan45acp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    Springers are nice,just got one a few weeks ago love it but they only make full size now

Ruger IMO has the best 600 dollar 1911 you can buy today.....MADE IN USA !
    This here.... But in my area the sr1911 is running $799 plus tax .... If I had to spend extra this is what I would get

It is best to let others believe you to be stupid, than to speak and prove them right
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I've heard quite a few people say that the pistols from the Philipeans are quite good. There are several Iver Johnson's at my LGS, and I've been considering one for a drop-in threaded barrel (that I already bought). Like the Rock Islands everything is not billet milled, but every stress part is. From what I've heard they are using old Colt machines with cheaper Philipino labor.
    Colt's Bridgeport milling machines are still in West Hartford, Connecticut.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Another vote for Rock Island. I couldn't be happier with mine and you could still end up with some money left for ammo. I got mine used with CT Lasergrips on it for about $500.
    OD* and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Love my Regent By Umarex. $525.00, and has a rail to boot. Jim
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    RIA only makes the Commander in a GI version: non-adjustable serrated GI trigger, GI sights, spur hammer, no beaver tail grip safety. 38 oz.
    https://us.armscor.com/products/

American Classic makes 3 Commander models: Blue, Chrome, Two tone: Novak Style Rear Sight, Dovetail Front Sight, Flared & Lowered Ejection Port, Extended Slide Stop, Beavertail Grip Safety, Combat Hammer, Combat Trigger, Extended Thumb Safety. 35 oz.
    Commander Model

ATI makes a GI Commander with GI sights, GI non adjustable trigger, beaver tail safety, combat hammer. Site says all steel parts, no MIM parts. 32 oz.
    American Tactical Imports
    Enhanced Commander: dove tailed sights front and rear, beaver tail safety, round combat hammer. All steel parts, no MIM. 32 oz.
    American Tactical Imports

IAC makes a 4" model (which basically means that you won't be able to get some aftermarket parts - like solid recoil guides, maybe springs).
    Regent Arms 1911 Handgun | - R350CR

T?SA? - TRABZON GUN INDUSTRY CORP. Looks nice, may be hard to get. 34 oz.
    GI version: TISAS ZIG 1911 A1 .45 ACP Review/Modifications - 1911Forum
    Looks a lot like the Regent 350CR, doesn't it?

Buy 1911s at BudsGunShop is usually where you want to start.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    Mostly true, but not entirely. They currently catalog a Lightweight Operator in 4". My guess is that they're cranking out the full-size ones as fast as they can and backed off on the 4-inchers until they can catch up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links