Which .40 compact would you choose?

This is a discussion on Which .40 compact would you choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father-in-law came to me for help. He wants an all metal .40 compact pistol for CC. My mind went to the Sig 229 but ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Which .40 compact would you choose?

My father-in-law came to me for help. He wants an all metal .40 compact pistol for CC. My mind went to the Sig 229 but are there other options that would suit him better? His stipulations are 1). Under 1200 bucks. 2). 40 s&w 3). All metal. 4). Compact 5). Reliable. I know a lot of you will share get a j frame. That is his current carry and wants to mix it up a bit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can't go wrong with the Sig 229. I have one and love it....but is a little heavy for carry (at least for me). Keep in mind the Sig 229 is not all steel, frame is aluminum.

He might want to look for a good used S&W in all stainless steel on gunbroker.com

BTW - You can get Sig CPO 229's on budsgunshop.com with the rail for $589 (cash price) and they are in like new condition.

Sig Sauer *Preowned* 12 + 1 Round 40S&W w/Blue Finish $589.00 SHIPS FREE
    Kennydale and Aceoky like this.

I have an XD40Subcompact that I carry quite often, plain XD not XDS. Comes with both 9 and 12 round mags, I use the 9 for carry (use Pearce Extension for the pinkie) and 12 for nightstand. It has a polymer frame which lightens the load and it is as reliable as they come, over a 1000 rounds down range with no malfunctions. I carry OWB and I am only 5'5" and 160lbs and the double stack isn't a problem. If you go with an all metal pistol it will add quite a bit to the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    I have an XD40Subcompact that I carry quite often, plain XD not XDS. Comes with both 9 and 12 round mags, I use the 9 for carry (use Pearce Extension for the pinkie) and 12 for nightstand. It has a polymer frame which lightens the load and it is as reliable as they come, over a 1000 rounds down range with no malfunctions. I carry OWB and I am only 5'5" and 160lbs and the double stack isn't a problem. If you go with an all metal pistol it will add quite a bit to the weight.
    As a man with man guns he already has a glock and has no interest in another polymer framed gun. I carry a baby glock so I tried to sway him but for lack of better terms. He is sticking to his guns.

How about something like this S&W 4006. Is is a 4" barrel and is all steel.

S&W 4006 40S&W 4" 48863 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Or a Beretta 96A1 - Though not compact
    Beretta 96A1 3-10 rd NIB No CC Fees Model 96 Italy : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

My compact 40 is a Smith and Wesson M&P 40c. I absolutely love it as a compact 40. Tons of after market accessories, holsters, ct gtips...

I also love my sig p229 but as compacts go, it is not all that compact.

Another great thing about both of the above is the 357 sig barrels I have for both.

-from my phone... excuse spelling
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Get the Sig 438!

It's the .40 version of the 938.

What do you mean they haven't made that gun yet?!

Listening, Sig?

:)

Mix it up huh well charter arms makes a .40 cal revolver. It seems nice a friend owns one and loves it. Its called the pitbull.

I tend to like these, get about 3 of them for 1200 bucks. :-) Bersa Thunder .40 Ultra compact pro.

pop_wm_141066.jpg
    BurgerBoy, BugDude and Pukindog12 like this.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    My compact 40 is a Smith and Wesson M&P 40c. I absolutely love it as a compact 40. Tons of after market accessories, holsters, ct gtips...

Another great thing about both of the above is the 357 sig barrels I have for both.

Isn't the m&p 40c polymer? I could be wrong.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    I tend to like these, get about 3 of them for 1200 bucks. :-) Bersa Thunder .40 Ultra compact pro.

pop_wm_141066.jpg
    These are nice! I have one in 9mm.
    BurgerBoy and Pukindog12 like this.

How about a Kimber compact 1911 in 40.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post

I have to agree with the M&P40c, but it is a polymer frame. Smaller guns like the Shield and the PPS and some of the others are too light for a .40, in my opinion.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    How about a Kimber compact 1911 in 40.
    I am having a hard time finding a .40 Kimber compact 1911. Which model is it? Anybody have a link?

My .40C is a Ruger SR40c . since he doesnt want a ploymer frame, to keep it reliable I would go with either a Sig or a Bersa thunder. The older SW 4000 series pistols may fit the bill but they are not compact by any means and heavy as all get out, but they shoot great.
    Pukindog12 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links