Lost my M&P 9C

Lost my M&P 9C

This is a discussion on Lost my M&P 9C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My 10 year old boy commandeered it. He's been wanting to shoot a handgun for some time. So we bypassed the 22 and went right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Lost my M&P 9C

Lost my M&P 9C

My 10 year old boy commandeered it.

He's been wanting to shoot a handgun for some time. So we bypassed the 22 and went right to 9mm. Been taking him to the range for a few months. After several fundamentals and safety lessons, today I turned him loose.

He checked downrange, went down, and set up his own target. Came back, belted on his holster, and loaded his mags with an Uplula. Checked downrange, loaded the gun and holstered. Trigger discipline was perfect. When he was ready, he drew and fired. Good reload technique. Fire, load, check target, on and on.

And I just sat there and let her buck.

The boy shows a good deal of promise, made his dad pretty proud. I'd trust this kid with a gun before any of the yayhoos I most generally see at the range.

Oh yeah, he can lay 'em in there, too. On the way home, he said, "I sure like MY gun."

Which it now is.

Your boy has good taste and good discipline from the sounds of it! You sir are to be commended for parenting skills!
    jbum, Macantic, Taurahe and 1 others like this.

GH
    You gotta lay the law down & tell him it's YOUR M&P. He can buy his own, lol. I should talk - I gave my Glock 21 & 23 to my son when I retired from armed security & before WI had a concealed carry law & he was already out of the Army Rangers, in the Police Academy & 25 years old. He shot both before he entered the Army & loved them. Now he likes his issue M&P 40 a little better but will he volunteer to give me my guns back? Nope. Those are his off duty pieces. He's been eyeballing my M&P 40C but he'll have to wait until he gets that & my FS 40 after I kick the bucket. Of course I didn't tell him that because he knows a couple of thousand ways to kill someone, lol

Ten years old was about when I started to teach him how to shoot with a borrowed .22 rifle, those Glocks (well, the .45 cal came a few years later), a borrowed M4 carbine & a borrowed 30-30 lever action. I also let him shoot a 12 gauge shotgun which was his weakest weapon until he got in the Army. He always earned the Expert Rifle & Pistol medal in the Army, still does in the Reserves & came in 3rd place for marksmanship in a class of 65 at the Academy. He attributes it to the training he got from me at an early age.
    patri0t likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Lol, time for that lecture about how "marksman are made with .22s".
    cthruit likes this.

Love my 9c :)

Congratulations..... it is a small price to pay to pass on the shooting sports to the next generation. I can think of worse things to lose lol. Besides.... I am sure there is another gun you have been eyeballing somewhere.... sounds like the perfect reason to get it.
    Maxwell47 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    On the way home, he said, "I sure like MY gun."

Which it now is.
    I would have replied "Great son! Hope you love cleaning YOUR gun too."
    My wife loves shooting! But she's yet to clean her own gun afterwards... Lol
    tdave likes this.

VIP Member
    Holy Smokes!

Thanks for the lesson here.

I got 4 kids, and none of them have ever pulled that one on me yet, but I'll be sure to never let them shoot the ones I don't want to give up!

Glad you guys had a great bonding moment.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I feel your pain. My 21 year old daughter got her carry license in Georgia and came down in June and left with one of my
    Glock 19's, and the M&P 9C. She shot these very well when I took her to the range last time she was in town, so I was ready for her visit. I picked up another 9C right after Sandy Hook used in unfired condition.....so now she has her own Glock and her own Smith & Wesson 9C. Makes me feel good knowing she has two great pistols. And i threw in the LCP I never carry because she thought it was cute. Called me a week later and said, "Dad, that thing kicks like a mule". Heheheheheheh.
    maxwell97 and multistage like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    You gotta lay the law down & tell him it's YOUR M&P. He can buy his own, lol. I should talk - I gave my Glock 21 & 23 to my son when I retired from armed security & before WI had a concealed carry law & he was already out of the Army Rangers, in the Police Academy & 25 years old. He shot both before he entered the Army & loved them. Now he likes his issue M&P 40 a little better but will he volunteer to give me my guns back? Nope. Those are his off duty pieces. He's been eyeballing my M&P 40C but he'll have to wait until he gets that & my FS 40 after I kick the bucket. Of course I didn't tell him that because he knows a couple of thousand ways to kill someone, lol

Ten years old was about when I started to teach him how to shoot with a borrowed .22 rifle, those Glocks (well, the .45 cal came a few years later), a borrowed M4 carbine & a borrowed 30-30 lever action. I also let him shoot a 12 gauge shotgun which was his weakest weapon until he got in the Army. He always earned the Expert Rifle & Pistol medal in the Army, still does in the Reserves & came in 3rd place for marksmanship in a class of 65 at the Academy. He attributes it to the training he got from me at an early age.
    Way to go Mister!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

...great day...now do the other half...and THEN tell him the gun is his:
    ...print out your state's deadly force laws and teach him...quiz him, discuss it with him, go through what-if situations...apply them to your home and lifestyle...so that if he ever has to take up his gun to defend, he knows not only mechanically how but legally how and when...so that he doesn't live with a tragedy...or pay a price for NOT knowing...
    ...my boy was trained by 12 not only how...but all the above...and he had his own .38...God have pity on anyone who broke in our house...he wouldn't...
    Aceoky likes this.

My 11y/o has been wanting to shoot my 9c. Teaching him the fundamentals first so we are starting with a Savage bolt action 22 so he has to reload, aim, pull trigger each time.
    Snub44 likes this.

VIP Member
    Don't ya hate it when the midgets bogart your guns?

Good on ya!
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Don't ya hate it when the midgets bogart your guns?

Good on ya!
    My youngest son (8y/o) has no interest in shooting right now. My oldest son and 5y/o daughter wants to shoot the Savage bolt action every chance they get (with supervision of course).

my younger son, who's 26, has his eye on my Kimber Gold Match. since his next gun will actually be his first gun, i thought i'd start him off with something a bit easier to take apart and reassemble. maybe a Springfield XDm, S&W M&P, or Glock. not to mention that i'd like to hang on to my Kimber for a while longer.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links