Defensive Carry banner

RG .22 pistol

12K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Jungle Work 
#1 ·
So, my parents are always full of surprises, and apparently there has been a .22 revolver in the house since before I was born, I didn't learn there was a .22 Marlin rifle until I was almost 17. (I was awfully sheltered.) Anways, It doesnt have many markings on it. The grips have "RG" on them, and it is obivously a 6 shot .22 revolver. The cylinder has to be removed like a NAA Minimag for reloads. It has maybe a 2-3 inch barrel and is really a pretty small revolver. I'm thinkin I'll have to have my dad take it out on our next range session (after I get a chance to inspect it very thoroughly although the little bit I got to handle it there was no rust or anything.) It would prolly make a decent little back-up or deep concealment piece. Anyone else know anything about these? I tried running a search and didn't get too much info.

#3 ·
Its not hurting my feelings, I didn't buy it, and its been collecting dust for at least 21 years, I can't really seem to find any information out about them though. It hasn't been shot since maybe the early 1980's. Neither of my parents are really gun people, but my dad bought it for my mom to keep in her purse long ago when she worked in a bad part of town (she now works in an inner city school, go figure), and she never did.

If you can expand upon why they are viewed as such I would be very interested to hear why it is that they are thought of like that.

#4 ·
Hi again,

Their metalurgy and heat treat is highly suspect IMHO. Their actions are rough to the point in which placing a shot is awfully difficult for even an experienced shooter, and I've yet to actually see one in which the chambers actually line up with the forcing cone. Their design, manufacturing quality and materials are all very poor. IIRC, they sold new in the early '80's for around $60. In short, they are , IMHO, the very definition of the term "Saturday Night Special". They are basically one step up from a slingshot in terms of practical reliability and effectiveness. (But then again, you don't run much risk of a slingshot blowing up when you shoot it)
Again, It is not my intention to offend you. I am just trying to prevent you from hurting yourself or someone else. Again, IMO, they are not safe to fire.

#5 · (Edited)
Gary, thanks for the input. If they are unsafe as you say than I definately appreciate it. I figured since I can't really find any info for the company or any of them on gunsamerica, they are prolly a no-name garbage gun. Although I didn't know anything about those sorts of problems. I know dad hasn't shot it since I have been born, and he loves his Ruger Mark 2 now anyways, so if they are that bad maybe I'll suggest to him that we remove it from the gun safe.

I've been moidfying searches on google until I got something useful, an interesting side note, apparently John Hinkley used a RG in his assassination attempt.

#6 ·
Brommeland nailed it.

I have always heard that RG meant "rotten gun".

Years ago my brother got one that he traded for a fishing pole. Same as described. We started shooting turtles in our pond with it.., but the turtles were safe. That thing shot about 4 feet to the left and about a foot low at 15 yards. We were trying to figure it out and he let off a shot that drew blood on me. Apparently the cylinder didnt quite line up and shaved some lead which hit me in the neck and it stung pretty well. We got to checking and unless you cocked the gun forcefully the cylinder was off by about half a bullet of lining up to the barrel.

That gun is still at the bottom of that pond if you need another.

#7 ·
The RG was made by Rohm in Germany. Can't believe that the Germans would export a gun like the RG but they did. They were the poster gun for the "Saturday Night Special". Best to leave that gun alone, and get a decent piece.

#8 ·
My father and I both have much better quality weapons, which are what we use, it was merely something that was discovered recently in our house, I'm pretty sure my dad had forgotten he owned it. I will definately not be shooting it any time soon, or ever, thanks for all the input.

#9 ·
I have a .22 magnum single action with a 4" barrel. It was given to me. I have fired it a total of about 10 rounds. It is pretty accurate if and that is a big IF you remember that you must have your sight picture before you put your finger into the trigger guard. As soon as you brush the trigger it will fire. You've heard of a hair trigger, well this one is a half hair trigger.

Like buckeye's dad's mine collects dust. I would throw it away or get rid of it somehow, but a friend who knows nothing about guns gave it to me and I don't want to seem ungrateful. So it sits and if he asks I still have it.

#10 ·
I have a RG revolver in .22 short. It was given to me and without knowing anything about the gun, I went and shot it. Once I got the front sight to stay still, the gun printed nice 3"-4" groups at 7yds.
Yes, it's a POS, but mine fires and reasonably straight. Now for how long?.....

BTW, does anyone know what model# this might be?

#13 ·
Not sure about that Frank, when I was in 8th grade I took a rock to the side of the head from about 30 feet, still got the scar. Since we have other firearms around, it'll prolly just continue to collect dust for a long time.

#14 ·
Can't remember if this is an RG but - picked it up a while ago to throw in the gun-junk area as a matter of interest! Odd name it has on the grip - so that's what it's called LOL!

#15 ·
Looks similar, and I think I see "Made in Germany" on the barrel, so I would say it very well could be, although I believe my dad's has a hammer spur and a more square or octagonal barrel. Its in the gunsafe at home, and I'm at school, but I can check later this week. Dang it, that red blanket showed up again! (just kiddin you do a nice job with all of your pics)

#16 ·
Yep - German origin - in fact a guy on THR posted about his to see what it was - and this one has the hammer spur - all I guess outa the same basic (crap) origins. :wink:

#17 ·
Well, my dad decided to take it out to the range yesterday. I fired two cylinders (12 shots) and was not impressed. At 3 yards I couldnt hit squat, be it the weapons fault, or maybe the small grips I couldn't hold, or the nearly non-existant sights. It took 15 trigger pulls to get those 12 shots to fire. The cylinder wasn't lining up either, and I got hit by a couple little specks of lead while my little bro shot it and I was standing behind him. I cleaned it along with everything else we shot yesterday, but I dont think I'll be taking it out again, ever. It will probably just sit in the gun safe for a long long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.