laser grips

This is a discussion on laser grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Taurus 85UL and was considering buying some crimson trace laser grips. Just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on them. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser grips

laser grips

I carry a Taurus 85UL and was considering buying some crimson trace laser grips. Just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on them. How do they improve accuracy and are they worth the money (around $250). What is the max distance they are accurate at. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Here's a topic that I started and we also discuss a little bit of the CT grips. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17260
    Proud owner of:
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 34
    F.I. Model D
    S&W 642
    ZM LR-300
    Arsenal SLR-105
    Bushmaster M4

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    There has been many threads regarding the CT grips....BUT in a short answer yes.....they are worth it, and they make a great defense firearm into a GREAT defensive firearm.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Lasers are excellent addition to a handgun and Crimson Trace has what I feel is the best laser on the market. Their customer service is top-notch too.

Most important is to train both sighted and laser sighted firing of your handgun. Lasers are not a replacement for sighted fire but permit more options then a handgun without a laser.

The only possible downside with Crimson Trace lasers is the new owner installed Glock laser has no way to turn off the laser if a situation arose and may very well you are stuck with the laser on beings the activation switch is on the backstrap. I have a Glock 23 with a internal CT laser and a Glock 19 with the user installed laser. Even though I can not turn off the G19 laser I feel much better with it then not.

Discontinued internal laser

Kimber Custom Pro II with CT laser

Smith with CT laser
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I owned the set up your considering, M85UL with CT grips. Yes they are fantastic, you can shoot AND HIT from about any position. Great for low light and and home defence. As far as distance, it will depend on how bright it is around you (outside in daylight etc.) Mine in bright daylight would show about 25 feet. (easier to use the regular sites then) Anything less bright than that would increase the distance up to literally hundreds of yards in complete dark. Range with the 85 with +Ps, I would say you could hit a mans torso at 50yards, single action, non moving if you had to. More useful range for SD would be 20 yards or under (most likely 7-8yds or under). I think the CTC web site has or had some demo videos on the grips useage.. All that said, I don't own the pistol anymore, I just plain SUCK shooting a wheel gun. BUT be sure my CZ 75D PCR semi will have them after Christmas!!

Be safe.

Assistant Administrator
    Yes - discussed often subject. I will as always make the point that laser grips are an adjunct and should not be regarded as a 1 sighting method. That said, I find that if I go to take a regular shooting position and sighting (or not) then if lighting and circumstances allow, the dot will show - no need to try and find it.

I have three on revo's and three on semi's - and would not be without them. At night the dot will show 100 yards away - in strong light (not direct sun) the dot will show at perhaps 10 - 15 yards.

They are easy to set up and once that is done they remain spot on.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for all the advice it is very helpful. I guess I know what Santa will be bringing me for Chirstmas

CT just came out with a new updated rubber overmold for your Taurus it's the model LG385 I have one on order they are softer rubber than the old style and are easier to grip, I have a Taurus 605ssch that they are going on. The old number is LG305 so don't let someone talk you into those as they feel hard to the hand and slippery IMHO
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Quote Originally Posted by frostyeyes View Post
    CT just came out with a new updated rubber overmold for your Taurus it's the model LG385 I have one on order they are softer rubber than the old style and are easier to grip, I have a Taurus 605ssch that they are going on. The old number is LG305 so don't let someone talk you into those as they feel hard to the hand and slippery IMHO

I don't know if I would say that. They feel pretty nice and, if you can still find a set, they are a lot cheaper. They were discontinued while awaiting the new model to finaly arrive but you can still find a set for well under 200 if you hunt around. They are no harder than a set of wood or something. They are a bit larger than the stock M85 grips which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Larger seems to make a better grip. Larger makes it a tad harder to conceal. Larger makes it longer grip. Larger makes it a bit harder to pocket carry it (if you do that). But if you can find a deal on an older set, they certainly are fine grips. You probably won't be sorry to have them. Just make sure you don't pay too much for them is all.

Not Sure About These...

I have wondered about putting them on my wife's gun, I'm not sure I would need them.
    One of my instructors told me that they can be a useful training tool in that they can show how you are 'missing' the target. He said they would not be that helpful in a split second decision, between parking lot cars at Wal-Mart...actually, the same can be said for 'sights' in general!

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They do seem to be a nice dry fire training tool. A side benefit. You can watch and see how far you move from point of aim as you try and pull the trigger when you fire double action. It's a lot! And late at night you can drive your cat crazy at the same time!

riy

?? Grip Size??

Have you found the grips make any difference as far as holster fit of CC. I talked with Crimson and they said the grips are larger than the factory boot style as far as length and width. I would hate to spend over 200.00 and find my holster and cc options suffer due to the grip size.

Thanks

I have a Taurus M-85, titanium revolver with the Crimson trace laser sights on it. I am very pleased with the performance of this package. Firing quickly at 25 ft, double action, using the stock fixed sights, I can keep 5 rds in about 5". Using the laser, I can get off all 5 rds in much less time and consistently in groups of about 3", again double action.
    In daylight, I can see the spot up to about 25 ft, but not well enough to have it useful. Any thing less than full daylight, and the lasersights rock. I have no problem switching it on or off as I want, just a little practice and it's easy.
    CPHILIP above has it right about the models and prices of Crimson trace units.
    Just incidentally, I have Crimson Trace laser sights on my regular carry compact Kimber .45 (along with Tritium night sights) and on my custom built govt model .45 also.

Roger

my wife and i have both the laser grips and the xs big dot sights on our 649's.

the combination seems to cover all lighting situations for us, and the big dot sight is much easier for my old eyes to aquire/see.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riy View Post
    Have you found the grips make any difference as far as holster fit of CC. I talked with Crimson and they said the grips are larger than the factory boot style as far as length and width. I would hate to spend over 200.00 and find my holster and cc options suffer due to the grip size.

Thanks

Most of the dealers in my area will let you try them in the store before you buy. I think the new LG-405 is actually nicer than the stock grip on my 340SC, it seems lighter (I'm not sure but it seems to be).
    Back to the original poster, the range is set by the operator ( adjustable) I sighted mine in a 10yds so I have to keep that in mind when shooting closer or farther, just like a scope on a rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links