Trade in XD .45 for LCR .357 ?

This is a discussion on Trade in XD .45 for LCR .357 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is my thought process on this idea: I have been carrying my XD .45 for about five years now, and in reflecting on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Trade in XD .45 for LCR .357 ?

Question Trade in XD .45 for LCR .357 ?

So here is my thought process on this idea: I have been carrying my XD .45 for about five years now, and in reflecting on the past few years, there have been many a time that I did not carry it due to inability to conceal, comfort, and weight of 13 .45 rds plus a couple mags. In addition, I had surgery on my left hand last year causing some difficulty in racking the slide and running jam clearing drills.

A few years ago, I owned a .357 Charter Arms pug, and boy did I love to carry that girl!! Very light and super easy to conceal. Now I am not going to return to Charter Arms, but I would love to pick up the LCR, maybe with Crimson Trace. I have done a significant amount of research on the latest and best revolvers finding overwhelming support for that weapon.

In the end, I feel it is best to have a pistol that I would carry more frequently vs. a high capacity pistol that I tend to slack on.

Thoughts???
    Bad Bob likes this.

2. Remove Ads

DBS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepnheat View Post
    In the end, I feel it is best to have a pistol that I would carry more frequently vs. a high capacity pistol that I tend to slack on.

Thoughts???
    I am in complete agreement with this statement. A gun does you no good if you don't have it when you need it.
    10thmtn, mook012, Bad Bob and 4 others like this.

Love my LCRs, both the .38 & the 357.

Thought process is good and a j frame seems to suit your needs and circumstances better. I'd recommend sticking to the .38 sp version of the LCR. The .357 mag KLCR is a handful to shoot in its intended load. Small light j frames and .357 mag just don't mix. Stick to the 1/4 lighter and easier to shoot .38 sp LCR. It'll be more realistic for SD purposes and pockets better because of its light weight.

I used to own the KLCR and now own the .38 LCR. So this is first hand advice.
    GhostMaker, Ghost1958 and 10thmtn like this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    LCR is a great little snubbie. If I were you I would buy two. You can carry one on your waist during the summer and one in each coat pocket during the winter. I would also go ahead and get the KLCR since it carries the same as the .38 version and the price is about the same, but it will have less recoil than its lighter brother and you have the option of .357 if you want. Mine is manageable with the Corbon 125 grain DPX it is loaded with. You can also load it with .38 or .38+P. This will give you a few more options if we have another ammo shortage.

Jim
    pbmagnet likes this.

The LCr is a great gun but I decided it wasn't right for me and traded for a shield. In .357 it is a handful but leaves you the option of shooting .38 spcl as well. If you want a small semi the shield worth a look. 19 oz unloaded and a thee inch barrel

It is best to let others believe you to be stupid, than to speak and prove them right
    GhostMaker likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I'd probably go with a metal frame because of the possibility for flame cutting near the force cone area in the LCR. Google it.

I wonder why you need a snubbie. A 2.5" barrel would probably be better, up to about 3".

There are lasers for S&W J-frames and Ruger SP101s (only consider the .38SPL version, not the .357 version - but, the .38SPL-only version only comes in a 2.25" barrel, which imo is a very good thing.)

Lasers are usually expensive, a little less if the revolver already comes with it installed.

Something else to consider is whether or not you can get a spring kit for it to help with a hard trigger pull, whether or not a trigger job can be performed on it, and whether or not it comes in a hammer-less, bobbed or shrouded hammer configuration (DAO, meaning that you'll want a smooth and lighter pull.).

Most people will buy a .357 and only shoot .38s out of it - which will take longer to clean the cylinders. Why not just get a .38SPL-only version instead?

Shrouded, bobbed or hammer-less:
    J-frames:
    2.125" size:
    640 - .357, pinned front sight
    649 - .357

1.875" size:
    442 - 38SPL
    442NIL - 38SPL, No Internal Lock, sku# 150544
    638 - 38 SPL, shrouded hammer (can still do SA trigger pull)
    638CT - 38SPL, Crimson Trace laser, shrouded hammer (can still do SA trigger pull)
    642 - 38SPL, aluminium frame
    642NIL - 38SPL, No Internal Lock, sku# 103810, Aluminium frame
    642LS - 38SPL, Lady Smith, Aluminium frame
    642CT - 38SPL, Crimson Trace laser, Airweight Aluminium frame
    642 TALO - .38SPL, Airweight Aluminium frame
    642 Deluxe - .38SPL, TALO version
    M&P 340 - .357, Fibre Optic front sight, pinned front sight
    M&P 340PD - .357, Fibre Optic front sight, Aluminium frame, pinned front sight
    M&P 340CT - .357, CT, Crimson Trace laser, Aluminium frame, pinned front sight
    M&P 340NIL - .357, No Internal Lock, Aluminium frame, pinned front sight
    649 - .357, shrouded hammer (SA/DA), pinned front sight
    360PD - .357, Fibre Optic front sight.

Models with hammers (none listed above) can have their hammers bobbed, any J-Frame can be equipped with aftermarket Crimson Trace lasers. Not all have pinned front sights. Only some can be fired in SA mode (retractable hammer spur).

My criteria order:
    1] NIL versions
    2] Fibre Optic front sight
    3] Pinned front sight so that I can swap in the fibre optic sight
    4] Shrouded SA/DA over Internal Hammer (although you should only shoot in DAO)
    5] .38SPL +P (and most of them are +P)
    6] Stainless Steel over Aluminium frame
    7] Barrel length
    8] .357

I say either get a Ruger .38SPL-only SP101 with the 2.25" hammer, have it bobbed, add a trigger kit, add Crimson Trace laser, add a fibre optic front sight, change it to a red fibre optic rod - or - the M&P340NIL, add Crimson Trace laser and fibre optic sight. The SP101 weighs 26 oz, which should be lighter than the XD you have now and the extra weight will help with recoil absorption. If you decide to go with the .357 SP101 stick with the 3".

Yep, I'd pass on the Ruger LCR. Even if it is more than half the price of the M&P340NIL.

And, of course, you can install a flat edged rear sight on the XD to help with clearing jams.
    Last edited by 1911er; September 15th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    I'd probably go with a metal frame because of the possibility for flame cutting near the force cone area in the LCR. Google it.
    That was an extremely rare problem with a handful of the early guns that was then blown way out of proportion by internet rumors. It only happened on the .38SPL model, and it actually melted the aluminum, not the polymer frame.

It's been fixed for a very long time, and the LCR is good to go.

VIP Member
    Do you still have any semi auto's?
    Will you miss having an auto if you do not and sell the XD?
    If you buy the Ruger can you afford to buy a different(tad smaller) semi,(maybe a 9mm)?

I say go for it in most cases, and weigh out the options between .38 and .357 models.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Flame cutting was an issue early but was quickly fixed. I had over 300 rnds through mine with no problems

It is best to let others believe you to be stupid, than to speak and prove them right
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I've said it many times on here, but I miss my LCR dearly. What you'll lose in capacity you'll make up for with a constant companion that just keeps getting sweeter with time. Do it!

I would go with the KLCR .357mag/.38spl, if not only for the facts of multiple ammo choices and extra weight for recoil management. I have the KLCR and love it. The recoil with .357mag is more then manageable, and I have installed the Eagle Wood FBI grip, along with a XS Big Dot for combat accuracy. I like the reduced recoil with the 110gr. ammo, instead of 125gr, and not losing the "stopping power" , per M.Ayoob, etc., albeit I still have no problem with 125gr. If necessary, drop down to the .38spl+P in 124gr to optimize performance in that caliber. Good luck and be safe.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

Hopefully that won't be a trade-in on a used LCR which may have the problem, then. If he does get the LCR then he may want to install an XS front sight or a fibre optic.

Me, I think it's an ugly gun. Just a little less ugly than the Judge. I like classic looks, smooth lines, stainless steel for when I have to put it under my pillow. And because it's a polymer over aluminium frame I'd probably get the .357 version instead, hoping that isince it was made to handle the .357 it would be more robust than the .38 frame.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-a...oblem-lcr.html
    http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-a...ack-ruger.html

I got some Doubletap + P .38 ammo (158 gr hardcast SWCs) for my .38 LCR. Lemme tell you - firing those things (900 fps out of a 2" barrel) will cure you of any thought of firing .357 mag out of a light weight snub - even if the .357 version is a few ounces heavier. Fuhghedaboudit.

Get the .38 version - very easy to carry, and all you really need. Works in (bigger) pockets, or on the belt. I just ordered an OWB holster for mine from Theis, because the rounded backstrap prints less than the back of the slide on a semi auto. It disappears.

I got over the concern over capacity by always carrying a LCP as a secondary, no matter what my primary is...the old "NY reload." A few speed strips for the LCR (always practice reloading from them when at the range) and you are good to go for anything realistic.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

In you position I would lean more towards a small frame revolver with a 3" barrel. Sure you still only have 5 shots, but you have a longer sight radius for easier shooting and a little more barrel for increased ballistic performance.
    Jaeger and bmcgilvray like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links