Fiber optic sights for carry

This is a discussion on Fiber optic sights for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at putting fiber optic sights on my shield. What are the pros and cons compared to night sights ? It is best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fiber optic sights for carry

I am looking at putting fiber optic sights on my shield. What are the pros and cons compared to night sights ?

It is best to let others believe you to be stupid, than to speak and prove them right
    ĒGod grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.Ē
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Me, personally, I'd like Sure Sights instead, BUY ę SureSight ymmv.

I have a .357Mag Snubbie with fiber optic front sight and it works well for most low light conditions. The fiber optic is prone to fall out inmost of those types though.

Mine seems quite secure, so I leave it alone. Any self defense use would be just as likely from the hip with a snub nose, anyway. I carried a snubbie off-duty for many years and as a BUG with plain iron & trench sights.

Best would be a Duty-Grade front night sight on a Shield. I was trained in LE to use 'front sight' so I never really cared for 'rear night sights'.
    I use Trijicon or Meprolight on most of my sidearms.

This is the one I will soon be putting on the front of my S&W Shield : Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Trijicon S&W M&P HD Night Sight Set Front Outline, Yellow

Iím also moving to FO sights on my carry pistols, hereís my rationale/thoughts:

1. I use a set on my Baer Concept V match/range pistol, combined with a plain black rear; itís a very fast combination. Iíve also got a set on an M&P 5Ē Pro. With my aging eyes, I can still make decent hits quickly without my glasses on and I like training with the same basic setup that I carry, so now Iím mounting them to my Walther PPQs.

2. The FO front actually does pretty well with ambient light; but it is not tritium, in complete darkness the FO is like a standard front sight (No help). I carry a light, 24-7 and IMHO target ID is paramount for civilian SD and LE. When using a light, the effect of nightsights was negated as your sights are silhouetted. Iíve taken 3 low-no light classes and shot a bunch of low-light IDPA stages, all with the use of a light. The times I did make use of my nightsigthts without a light, it was pretty hard to see the target anyway and lining up the dots took time. Were I to go back to tritium, it would be with a front sight only.

3. Iíve read that the FO is not as durable, but thatís not my experience thus far with the set on my Baer 1911. Probably close to 10K though the initial FO rod. IF the rod does break, the Dawsonís Iíve installed act like a standard plain black sight.

4. I just took a close quarters shooting class where engagements were primarily at 6í and under. Shot a little under 300 rds and I think I used my sights about 3-5 times total. Most shots were from retention working outward to full presentation.

All this is to say that while I like the concept of nightsights, Iím finding a limited use for them. . At 50+ years old, Iím not hitting the clubs like I used to, so my nocturnal carousingís have slacked off quite a bit YMMV.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

My Colt Custom Gov has Novaks on it with the front sight being FO.

I like it well. But you need to have your own theory on sights.

Mine is this; sights are meant to allow you to hit a specific point of aim. That POA maybe represented by an iron sight, white dot, FO, or electronic dot.

A dot, is a dot , is a dot, is a sight, is a reference for aim,
    Irregardless of type.

Night sights are great for low light. But after it gets dark, you can't see what you are shooting at, so no sight is any good, unless you have an illuminating device such as flashlight.

Fiber Optic fills the role for me well. During hours of fading light to almost no light, I can still see it. It picks up ambient light pretty good.

Complete darkness it can't be seen, but that's ok for me, as I don't shoot at things I can't see.
    Easy8, bmcgilvray, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I know people that run trijicons on their M&P's and are very happy.

Depending on the pistol you want to put them on, go with Tru-Glo TFO's and get the best of both worlds
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

These, factory on the XDS do make a pretty sight picture...

Aceoky likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Pretty much with gman on this one, if its dark 99% of the time I am home. I use big dot on front just for aquisition an dont shoot at what I cant see. For me if its dark an I need a weapon I keep a flashlight on me or in car got them in various places in house. The only fibre optics I own is on my MK111 an on shotgun with ghost ring

Administrator
    I like the fiber optic in normal conditions, but like what's already been pointed out,in the dark they are worthless. Also, many, maybe even most, and not near robust enough for me to carry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My Sig P229 SCT came with Tritium rear and Tru-Glo FO/Trit front. I like the set-up because the front combo sight is bright in sunlight and larger and just as bright as the rear in low light/darkness, this makes it very easy to distinguish from the rear illuminated sight. However, the front housing is not near as durable as a standard tritium sight due to the larger FO element needing a bigger cavity/hole to hold it. I did notice the FO/Tritium vial has loosened in the cavity; I added a bit of glue to secure it in the housing.

On a carry gun I think they are durable enough, but I wouldn't want to carry a FO sight on a combat or duty gun.
    Aceoky likes this.

I did put a fiber optic on mh 30-30 rifle and it works quite well...a step above the steel...for these old eyes.
    I do, however, have Trig's on most of my Glocks. I prefer the glowing dot for point shooting or to focus on a target inside my house at night (with night lights the place is never pitch black) and I can easily see the front site for quick reference aim.OMOYMV
    Aceoky likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have night sights on my XDS 45 and they are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Depending on the pistol you want to put them on, go with Tru-Glo TFO's and get the best of both worlds
    This. Definitely this. I put Truglo TFOs on my full size M&P 9 and love them. Super bright in the day because of the the fiber optic and act like night sights in the dark because they also have Tritium vials at the tips of the Fiber. I went yellow rears and green front. The green is supposed to be a little brighter for better sight acquisition. Awesome sights. I actually like them so much I just ordered a 2nd set for my Shield today.

Here they are in the light (on an XD)...they really pop...
    XD45.jpg

...and I just snapped this one in an interior room with my iPhone. I am really impressed with how bright they are in the dark.
    0FD9103F-ED22-44C9-92EA-C71211DAFA85-1106-000000D302526B38_zpsbe19e47e.jpg
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Apex DCAEK
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm - Apex DCAEK

I won't change out FO for NS if the FO came that way from the factory (XDs) I am a fan of XS 24/7 big dots, but have no problems with standard Mepros, Trigis, or ToolTech night sights. I have not tried the Truglo TFOs, but on paper they look like the better mousetrap.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links