First range trip with my Sig Ultra 1911

This is a discussion on First range trip with my Sig Ultra 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Sig Ultra 1911 last month and decided to take it to the range for the first time today. I also brought along ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1911er

Thread: First range trip with my Sig Ultra 1911

I bought a Sig Ultra 1911 last month and decided to take it to the range for the first time today. I also brought along my Sig P238. The little P238 now has about 300 rounds with only one fail to eject that occurred within its first 50 rounds. It feeds fmj and hollow points like a champ. My new Sig Ultra 1911 was flawless today with its first 50 rounds of Speer Lawman through it. So far I'm very impressed with both Sigs.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Can you compare and contrast the two? I would think that the feel is very different between them. Just curious more than anything since I've shot a P226 years ago and have shot 1911's many times.

The P238 is the softest .380 firearm I've ever handled. It snaps a little with every shot but soft enough to allow a quick and accurate follow up shot. Since it's small, your pinky finger must be placed under the grip. I've pocket carried it for two years now. The Sig Ultra had a snap and a push to it since it's a .45 and only has a 3.3 inch barrel. Mine came equipped with aggressive G10 grips and I was able to apply a full grip. Both were extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot (no hand pain). Both also required no tools to field strip (takes only like 30 seconds to take apart completely). These two firearms definitely make me want to make a return trip to the range soon.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

The Sig Ultra is on my covet list. Hopefully I will have enough saved in the next 2 months. Thanks for posting.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Guess it's personal preference but I couldn't find a G10 grip I liked. Not at the gun store, not at the gun shows. I prefer the Alumina grip and the Pearce OM2 rubber grip (used on Kimbers). I didn't like the Hogue rubber grip. When I first cleaned my Sig Ultra I got the Idiot Scratch. Damn slide release was too hard putting in. I immediately bought the 10-8 Performance slide release. Dropped right in - no resistance against the plunger spring. If it, the 10-8 Performance slide release, would have done it I would have replaced the plunger spring, probably with a Wilson Combat part.

I believe the Sig Ultra slide release is a MIM part. You may want to check yours for cast marks. I've imagined it breaking and slicing my face... Scares me.

Mine is dead on accurate. And I love the low profile tridium sights over the Kimber Heinie high profile sights.

I just wish that I could buy the flat recoil spring from SIG. I'd buy 10 at a time, along with half a dozen extractor springs and three mag release springs. They do sell spring kits for other Sig 1911s.

I was thinking very seriously of getting the P232. Then I started looking at the CZ82. But I'm not completely sold on the P238. It's nice and all but I think I'd rather have the more powerful MAK cartridge over the .380 cartridge.

Alumagrips - Sig P238
    Alumagrips - Overview In the Slim, lightweight, standard checkering, normal depth. Build A Grip

Next time you're at a Gun Show see if the guy from Alumina is there selling them for about $50.

I bought some Raascogrips - didn't like them. They look beautiful but the grip was too slippery.
    SLIM Bahama Cherrywood Dymondwood
    Slim 1911

Hated the Hogue stock wood grips on the SIG Ultra. Too much bite.

Tried Frag 320s in a light color - didn't like them. Get oil on them and they're very hard to clean. So you'd probably want all black. I wanted a tan.

One reviewer removed the Pearce rubber grips from his Kimber and said he's not going back to rubber - it felt that good. I think it's a wonderful feel. But you have to get slim bushings and a bushing removal tool. One of my Sig Ultra bushings was really tight - I ended up destroying it. So I went and bought another normal size set for my Pearce grip.

The only other thing that bugs me is the front strap stippling - a little too fine for my taste. What is it, 30 lpi? If so, then I would have like 25 lpi. (I'm used to my Colt LW Commander that doesn't have front grip stippling.)

Next change for me is getting rid of the serrated trigger. Sucks. I'm looking at the STI short curve trigger and the Harrison Design Extreme short trigger (Thanks, OD*.)
    Rhcmlc likes this.

Sponsored Links