Range Report on my new Sig Sauer P229

Range Report on my new Sig Sauer P229

This is a discussion on Range Report on my new Sig Sauer P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heres the pics of the P229 9mm the wife had gotten me for my birthday. I put 100 rds through it plus 5 rds of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Range Report on my new Sig Sauer P229

Smile Range Report on my new Sig Sauer P229

Heres the pics of the P229 9mm the wife had gotten me for my birthday. I put 100 rds through it plus 5 rds of the MagTech JHP I plan on using for SD. Ate everything fine and gave me no issues. I was a little interested in the trigger reset. The dealer informed me that it had the SRT, however, the reset travel felt a little long to me. I put the 5 rds of SD through it first then 50 rds of FMJ on the same target. Mostly reload drills and feeling out the trigger pull. Threw that target away and then went through the 2nd box of 50 rds and thats the target I took a picture of. Mostly reload drills at about 21 ft, had a few distant shots w/ both DA and SA around 35-40 ft. Dropped three rds on that one. One in each shoulder and then one lower chest cavity, all of them were that first shot after the reload. All in all, I love this gun and the way it performed. Only complaint like I said is that trigger, I'll have to look into it. And then the other plus is that my SHTF ACE-1 holster comes in tomoro and I'll be able to start experimenting with carrying around the house with it. Pretty excited with this new addition to the family!

IMG_4538.jpgIMG_4536.jpgIMG_4535.jpg

Range personnel told me I needed to see a therapist. I kindly smiled and said I just need more ammo please lol

-Kyle

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    When I first started carrying a P229 I spent most of my range practice firing the gun DA with occasional SA follow ups. After I felt very confident on my first DA shot I then started practicing the transition from DA to SA. It isn't difficult to master it just takes some time and effort.

I highly recommend greasing the rails on the aluminum frame, the stainless slide tends to eat away at them when oiled, but fairly heavy grease will arrest the wear very well.
    GSDSchutzhund and kmagnuss like this.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good looking piece
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Nice ! Good shooting too !

I use a dry teflon lube on the rails, Finish Line. It's a bicycle chain lube that works great.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Excellent choice

I've had one of these Sig P229s in .40 caliber for 12 years, and it is one of my favorites. It has consistently been one of the most accurate and reliable guns I have. I have a holster for it and have carried it, but it is a little heavier and thicker than my alternate carry guns, so I tend to use it mainly for home defense and range.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    Nice shooting, nice gun.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Good shooting!!! Nice firearm too. I'm starting to dig the Sig.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I really like my 229 .40 SAS. When I decide to use it, I CC it in a Kangaroo Carry.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    When I first started carrying a P229 I spent most of my range practice firing the gun DA with occasional SA follow ups. After I felt very confident on my first DA shot I then started practicing the transition from DA to SA. It isn't difficult to master it just takes some time and effort.

I highly recommend greasing the rails on the aluminum frame, the stainless slide tends to eat away at them when oiled, but fairly heavy grease will arrest the wear very well.
    They sent me a sample of a Sig Sauer specific lubricant/grease. Any experience with that? Thats probably one of my other concerns is the railing since it isn't a polymer hand gun

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    Nice ! Good shooting too !

I use a dry teflon lube on the rails, Finish Line. It's a bicycle chain lube that works great.
    No mess with it? How often do you scrub off and relube? Every cleaning, I would assume...

Looking good to me.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    They sent me a sample of a Sig Sauer specific lubricant/grease. Any experience with that? Thats probably one of my other concerns is the railing since it isn't a polymer hand gun
    They used to send out Mil-Tec or something like that. White Teflon grease from the auto parts store works great and is very inexpensive in large amounts.
    kmagnuss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    They used to send out Mil-Tec or something like that. White Teflon grease from the auto parts store works great and is very inexpensive in large amounts.
    Yea thats what I think it is. Ok sweet, I'll look into it. And just a light film I'm assuming

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I just got my P229R-1 in .357 Sig. I bought it for Duty Carry, as it carries a LOT more rounds than my 1911 I really like it. I am still waiting for our Under-Sheriff to conduct a range day so I can actually qualify with it and then carry it. I have been impressed with this weapon--my first Sig.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Im so jealous.................
    Gun control, the ability to hit your target

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links