Defensive Carry banner

Why Skyy?

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Footslogger 
#1 ·
Skyy CPX-1 9mm Does anyone have any experience with this hand gun Thinking about adding it to my collection. Have not seen anything about them here good, bad or indifferent help me one way or the other. some say just a better copie of the kel-tec? :hand10:

#4 ·
I had a skyy but some have had issues with theirs right off the bat.
So I ponied up a little extra cash and traded for a springfield xd sub compact. Is not much bigger than the skyy.
I compared them side by side at the shop. I love the xd it been a great gun for me so far.

Sixgun

#5 ·
I just purchased a new skyy cpx-1 9mm and so far its went bang when I pull the trigger all I have fired so far is winchester white box thru it about 300 rounds. Accuracy is ok for a pocket gun my bersa thunder .380 is still my favorite ccw carry gun even tho the skyy is a tad bit shorter. I hear alot of kel tec fans complain that its a rip off clone but imo who cares really. I feel skyy just built upon an already decent gun and in some ways made it better for some.No different than what Kimber and a few other gun companies have done to the colt 1911 or Taurus cloning Berettas.As far as some having problems right off the bat I've seen the same horror stories from Kel tec owners too or even Glock for that matter.From what Ive read so far Skyy has a decent customer service department if for some chance you get a problem.

#8 ·
+1! I've had a CPX-1 for over a year and haven't had a problem of any kind. Same basic size and price as my Bersa T-380 (the SKYY's a tad smaller), but it holds 10 rds of 9mm vs. 7 rds of 380 in the Bersa.

#7 ·
I have one and I have had only 3 problems:
1. The hammer broke in two and was expeditiously replaced by the company after I paid to send it in.
2. A repeat of #1.
3. It has a safety which in my view is totally unnecessary. The safety is located such that often while shooting, the recoil causes my hand to engage the safety, providing a very annoying surprise on the follow on shot. In a self defense situation it cold be fatal.

Other than that I like the gun a lot.

#9 ·
Hey Senior Chief,

It looks like you live pretty close to their factory in South Daytona. Do you mean to say that they wouldn't just let you bring it in? You had to pay to send it?

#11 ·
tegemu, I will soon be on my third hammer with my Skyy CPX-1. The first broke while dry firing (after I bought 9mm snap caps) about the 90th round, the second while firing about round 167at my improvised range in the pine timber. Used recommended ammo, Fed Am Eagle 124 gr. and Fed Hydrashok 124 gr. Smooth as silk until the hammer broke again. Found the hammer laying on my right thumb, and when looking further noticed the disassembly pin had sheared as well.

I know that the disassembly pin has to be carefully inserted to avoid shearing from reading the Skyy forum and am confident that I did it right.

By the way, shooting was divided into two sessions with cleaning between. 90 rounds first, and the balance and hollow points in the second.

Skyy is great with customer service, just wish my gun didn't keep breaking. My policy is that any pistol must fire 300 rounds plus 100 rounds of the carry ammo (hollow points) without a failure on my part before becoming my concealed carry weapon. Texas qualifies shooters but it's up to the shooters to qualify their weapons.

Skyy has failed the test. Will let them repair it one more time and let you know the results one day. Will also post them on their forum. Meantime, looking for a 9mm carry weapon about the same size. Will read the other topics for advice.

My first post -- Bill

#12 ·
Sorry I didn't post earlier.........

I have two, and my frustrations are documented on the Skyy Forum. Haven't shot them in months, but when they were good, they were very very good, and when they were bad, they were "off to the factory".....

I carry, as does my sweet wife, a Glock 26.

#13 ·
I just shot my new Skyy CPX-1 for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. All the "issues" I read about in several forums don't appear to be present in mine. It fired every round flawlessly. As to "fit and finish" it was far better than the last small, inexpensive gun I bought that has the initials K. T. I didn't have to sandpaper off all the sharp edges on the trigger guard and trigger to keep it from cutting my finger.

I like them both, the new 9mm and the old .380. The Skyy is certainly a well made gun for what I paid for it ($285 delivered with extra mag {3 total})

I do believe that just like everything else, a product gets the kinks worked out as the company builds more. The serial number on mine is in the 005*** series. Over 5,000 units out in the last year and I'm sure that a lot of the problems, as I read, are in low serial number units.

#15 ·
For p8riot, thanx Chief but as close as they are and as expensive as gas is, 180+miles and 4 hours driving down and back I didn'r think it was worth it. Since they paid for the shipping, all I was out was time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.