Trying out an HK P30

This is a discussion on Trying out an HK P30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like I have an HK P30 LS headed my way. Have held one before, but never fired one. They do have a nice feel. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SCfromNY

Thread: Trying out an HK P30

Trying out an HK P30

Looks like I have an HK P30 LS headed my way. Have held one before, but never fired one. They do have a nice feel. May take some getting used to with that weird mag release. Unsure of the manual safety. Well, my 1911 has one too, and it doesn't bug me. Have high hopes for this gun. We shall see. Another wait for a Sparks to fit it.

HK has quite a rep, both for quality and price. I'm used to SIGs, so the price is no big deal. I am sure the quality is there as well. Accuracy? We shall see.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I am wanting to try a P30 as well. Give us a report when you ring her out. I have heard I would be disappointed going from a Sig DA/SA to an HK DA/SA, so I plan on the light LEM.

I have a P30, or I did until it fell overboard. Very accurate, well made and very easy to shoot. I think you will be happy with your choice.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Dude you know I love you and I don't want to come across negative , but if you got the DA/SA configuration you will quickly come to the realization that you wish it had Sigs SRT. The SA/DA HK P30 has a crappy trigger, and I have not seen one that didn't have a loose slide release. It's a very good gun and feels great in hand, but it's overpriced and has a few glaring flaws. I ended up trading mine for an Arsenal that was totally tricked out with a bunch of ammo. One of the best trades I ever made. I recently ran into the buddy who traded me, and he kicked himself! LOL.... He does not have the HK anymore either. Again, I am sorry to come across negative, but I think you know I will give you a fair honest assessment. Let me also say that price really has no bearing on my opinion as I have many handguns that cost more then HK's.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Well, it is being acquired in a trade, NIB. If it doesn't fly when I pick it up and dry fire it, I'll flip it. Appreciate the advice.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Isn't it more difficult to switch the P30 from DA/SA to LEM, at least more so than the other HK's? I think it's because the decocker is on the rear of the slide or something to do with configuration internally. Maybe if the DA/SA is an issue try switching to LEM if possible and it may endear the gun to you more than the traditional config.

I am afraid I have heard the same things as C hawk Glock, but do know of people that still love the P30. Either way I am interested to hear your report.

They feel good in the hands. I don't know how easily the long slide configuration will carry, but they at least feel comfortable. I have always felt that a lot of the walther and HK guns actually feel like they were designed specifically to melt into your hand.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The H&P P30 in .40 was my 5th H&K. It has a LEM trigger. I would suggest having H&K change it over from DA/SA to LEM if possible. Some can not. If not possible Bill Springfield will do a nice action job at a reasonable price to improve the DA/SA. You get used to the mag release quickly plus H&K made the P30's release larger and more sensitive. Instead of pushing a single paddle rotate hand slightly and tough both paddles and mag will drop effortlessly.

Except for dropping a Kahr into my pocket for a trip to the corner store H&Ks are my EDC. They are accurate, reliable, and you can feel the quality. Also their CS is fantastic.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Dude you know I love you and I don't want to come across negative , but if you got the DA/SA configuration you will quickly come to the realization that you wish it had Sigs SRT. The SA/DA HK P30 has a crappy trigger, and I have not seen one that didn't have a loose slide release. It's a very good gun and feels great in hand, but it's overpriced and has a few glaring flaws. I ended up trading mine for an Arsenal that was totally tricked out with a bunch of ammo. One of the best trades I ever made.
    I keep hearing that persistent rumor...guess I must have the only one ever made that doesn't rattle. I also don't get the bad rap the trigger gets. Yeah, the DA sucks but the SA isn't bad at all. Of course, mine is a P30S, the S meaning 'safety' so I carry cocked-and-locked, so I've only ever pulled the DA trigger maybe twice just to try it. But I'm admittedly a big HK fan...I have four HK sidearms and there are at least a dozen more I still want.

Congrats! I want the L version sooooo bad! I love my P30S, probably the best handgun I own, maybe the best I've ever fired. It's amazing how well it shoots. All my HKs are great shooters but the P30S is especially amazing. 9mm's obviously don't have much recoil but even so it's amazing how 'flat' it runs at speed. There's probably no gun in the world so customizable for grip, either. There are three backstraps, three left side panels and three right side panels. That's 3 x 3 x 3 combinations, and one should fit anyone.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Well, it is being acquired in a trade, NIB. If it doesn't fly when I pick it up and dry fire it, I'll flip it. Appreciate the advice.
    Don't just dry fire it- run a few mags through it. You'll thank me later.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

jyo
    I've had a P30S 9mm for several years now---my slide release does not rattle---the DA/SA trigger is NOT a 1911, but the SA is actually fine once you get used to it (a bit of take-up) and the DA has smoothed nicely after a few hundred rounds downrange and the DA was not that bad to begin with. As expected for being an HK, the gun runs 100% with any 115-124 ammo I have tried (don't have any 147s) and is quite accurate---it's turned out to be one of my favorite pistols---not much else to say...

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I have the P30 (no S, no L) v3 9mm, and have used it with the stock trigger, and with about $200 into a trigger job by a man who specializes in H&K trigger work, and it's still not even close to the quality of trigger in my Walther PPQ. That said, it's not terrible, but it's by no means a great trigger. Most people won't really think about the trigger when they need the gun, though. I've used triggers that were much, much worse, like the one on my friend's Ruger .45, which feels something like dragging a dead body over gravel for 100 feet.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The P30 is the best production handgun being made today. I would recommend it without the safety, though. A P30 and not a P30s. The LEM action, especially in Variant 1 (Light LEM), is the best DAO ever made in a non-revolver.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I wouldn't do so far as to say it's the best production handgun, but perhaps the best polymer framed DAO handgun.. if you want to argue with the Glock fanatics on that one. I still think Walther's PPQ trigger is much, much better, although technically, it's an SAO trigger, not DAO. The P30's polygonal barrel is really strong, being +P+ rated, but some may not like it for certain rounds, and for the need to clean in more aggressively if using lead rounds.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links