Glock 19 advice

Glock 19 advice

This is a discussion on Glock 19 advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a brief trip to the range earlier this week, I'm starting to lose confidence in my EDC weapon. I carry a SIG P250 (Gen ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Glock 19 advice

Glock 19 advice

After a brief trip to the range earlier this week, I'm starting to lose confidence in my EDC weapon. I carry a SIG P250 (Gen 1) 9mm. After two FTE's in less than fifty rounds, I'm not sure I want to keep it. BTW I was shooting Remmington FMJ target rounds.

So I'm thinking of trading my SIG in on a G19. I was looking at one yesterday at my LGS and while I'm not real excited about the way it feels in my hand, I think that's just because I'm used to shooting my SIG and the more I shoot the 19, the better it will feel. I was looking at both a Gen 3 and Gen 4 model. Can someone tell me what the difference is? The guy and the store tried but wasn't very good at explaining it and I left even more confused then when I went in. They are priced $30 apart and is it worth the extra $30 for the Gen 4. The only thing the guy I talked to could say was that the Gen 4 comes with a third magizine and that's what makes it worth the extra $30. I'm sure there is other reasons for the price difference.

Any advice would be helpful.....Thanks.....
    Ranger45 likes this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Gen 4 also has a different guide rod spring setup, enlarged mag release and interchangeable backstraps (to customize the grip to your hand).

Some people had trouble with the new gen4 springs on their G19s but I think that's all cleared up now.

Either one is a good buy.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Check out the M&P9c before you blow the money on a Glock. You may find that it feels great in hand, while actually exceeding the reliability of modern Glocks in high round count tests. Expect 10+ pages of "Don't think, just get a Glock 19!".

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    Check out the M&P9c before you blow the money on a Glock.
    Check out the Glock before you blow money on an M&P9c.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Gen 4 also has a different guide rod spring setup, enlarged mag release and interchangeable backstraps (to customize the grip to your hand).

Some people had trouble with the new gen4 springs on their G19s but I think that's all cleared up now.

Either one is a good buy.
    Also, the Gen4 grip texture is much better!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Check out the M&P9c before you blow the money on a Glock. You may find that it feels great in hand, while actually exceeding the reliability of modern Glocks in high round count tests. Expect 10+ pages of "Don't think, just get a Glock 19!".
    love my M&P9C, but I'll have to see proof (professional documentation, no internet he-said, she-said) of any M&P exceeding the reliability of a Glock. I have a 2nd Gen Glock 17 that has thousands of rounds down range without so much as a wobble. My two EDC's a Glock 19 and 26 would cycle and fire corn cobs if I could get them to feed.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Don't think; just get a Glock. Although I shoot my Glocks better than anything, I also have an M&P in 9mm, and it's a great gun. The gun fits my hand better than almost anything.
    GlockHawk17 and NavyAirdale like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    love my M&P9C, but I'll have to see proof (professional documentation, no internet he-said, she-said) of any M&P exceeding the reliability of a Glock. I have a 2nd Gen Glock 17 that has thousands of rounds down range without so much as a wobble. My two EDC's a Glock 19 and 26 would cycle and fire corn cobs if I could get them to feed.
    Done and done.

pistol-training.com Blog Archive M&P Endurance test Ends

pistol-training.com Blog Archive Gen4 Glock 17 Endurance test: Month 16

They're both extremely reliable guns, although older Glocks are significantly more durable than Glocks made after 2007 when they started using MIM extractors and strikers and the extremely cheap finish they've started using now. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Glock with an Apex FRE and a milled striker, as a Blue Label Glock with the proper aftermarket parts is going to be the same price as a Gen 4 for anyone else; but paying the standard price of $550 for a Gen 4 and then having to put another $200 in aftermarket parts to get the same quality gun that they were making 7 years ago... nah, not for me.

If you are indeed open to other platforms, the M&P is a fantastic gun and the most comfortable I have ever handled. I carry a 45c and a Shield 9 and prefer them to Glocks (wife has a G19).

But to each their own. A carry gun is a very personal thing.
    sensei2 likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Third magazine is prob worth the extra 30. Some like the gen 4 grip better. I have a gen 3 g19 and can't say a bad word about it. I would just buy whichever grip you like better

They're both extremely reliable guns, although older Glocks are significantly more durable than Glocks made after 2007 when they started using MIM extractors and strikers and the extremely cheap finish they've started using now. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Glock with an Apex FRE and a milled striker, as a Blue Label Glock with the proper aftermarket parts is going to be the same price as a Gen 4 for anyone else; but paying the standard price of $550 for a Gen 4 and then having to put another $200 in aftermarket parts to get the same quality gun that they were making 7 years ago... nah, not for me.
    It seems like you know something maybe I should know? I have a gen 3, why would I want to do these mods?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

VIP Member
    Are you sure the problem is with the Sig?
    maxwell97 and pittypat21 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's a well known fact that a G19 is the favored carry gun of many. However, since you said it didn't feel comfortable in your hand, I will also you suggest you shoot an M&P9C before making any final decision. I don't believe you could go wrong with either gun. Both are excellent weapons!

I'd stick with the Glock-19, Gen-3...OMO
    SIXTO and FlaRon like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Are you sure the problem is with the Sig?
    I think so... This isn't the first time I've had problems with it at the range. I've found it doesn't like dirty ammo. Steel casing Tuleammo, Bear, WPA, etc... I've also had a problem with the slide not locking back after the last round, turns out that was from dirt in magazine. Which BTW I'm not able to find any of since it's the Gen 1 model. I'm not too upset about trading it in as I bought it used and this is a good excuse to buy something brand new..

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    If you are indeed open to other platforms, the M&P is a fantastic gun and the most comfortable I have ever handled. I carry a 45c and a Shield 9 and prefer them to Glocks (wife has a G19).

But to each their own. A carry gun is a very personal thing.
    The M&P is also on the short list. I do like the way it feels in my hand....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links