Colt Lawman MkIII 357

Colt Lawman MkIII 357

This is a discussion on Colt Lawman MkIII 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I traded for a Colt today. Really unsure on the value. So many different ones online. It's a 98% gun super clean very tight. Year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Colt Lawman MkIII 357

Colt Lawman MkIII 357

I traded for a Colt today. Really unsure on the value. So many different ones online. It's a 98% gun super clean very tight. Year 1974 any help would've be great.

...I had one in nickel...and like a blue-eyed fool, I let it go...wonderful revolver...heavy enough to shoot a lot...small enough to CC...I'd put the price in today's market at about $750...you got a good one!!!
    GhostMaker likes this.

Snub has it about right if its real clean between 650 an 750
    bmcgilvray and GhostMaker like this.

That's a beauty. I like it. Nice to have "ponies" in the stable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That is beautiful!

It's super clean no marks. Man it's is heavy. I have a LCR 357 and a S&W 637 Gun Smoke and its feels like both of them. Lol

...it'll soak up the recoil, though...and be a honey to shoot...feels about like the L frame, though...a good holster/belt is required...and not a pocket gun...
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Those are nice, and the 2-inch variation has a bit of a cult following among Colt connoisseurs. Frequently sells at a premium over the 4-inch variation.

Saw one last year for $495 at a pawn shop with 4-inch Lawman factory stocks on it. The original factory stocks for the 2-inch Lawman were unique to that model and are different than the 4-inch stocks. A further examination of their revolvers saw a 4-inch Trooper wearing the stocks that are appropriate for the 2-inch Lawman. Bet the two revolvers had their stocks switched up. No amount of convincing would induce them to switch the stocks out and sell the 2-inch to me. I wasn't interested if the revolver couldn't be correct. Shame, but it'd been difficult to scare up proper stocks for it. And to think that the ones that likely came on it were in the display case on another Colt.
    kahrcarrier and GhostMaker like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

..I've never seen the Lawman MK III in 4"...that'd be a honey with those round butt grips...and I didn't know the Trooper had a round butt under those big honkin' grips...you're going to make a Colt man out of me if you don't stop...I don't NEED a second mortgage...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Those are nice, and the 2-inch variation has a bit of a cult following among Colt connoisseurs. Frequently sells at a premium over the 4-inch variation.

Saw one last year for $495 at a pawn shop with 4-inch Lawman factory stocks on it. The original factory stocks for the 2-inch Lawman were unique to that model and are different than the 4-inch stocks. A further examination of their revolvers saw a 4-inch Trooper wearing the stocks that are appropriate for the 2-inch Lawman. Bet the two revolvers had their stocks switched up. No amount of convincing would induce them to switch the stocks out and sell the 2-inch to me. I wasn't interested if the revolver couldn't be correct. Shame, but it'd been difficult to scare up proper stocks for it. And to think that the ones that likely came on it were in the display case on another Colt.
    blitzburgh and tdave like this.

I love my 637 for pocket. It's a sweet shooter.

VIP Member
    Very nice, congrats!

I have one colt revolver, the Cobra. One of my all time favorites.
    That is one good looking pistol. From the pictures it looks to be in excellent shape. Nice find.
    NRA Life Member

Hi Snub44;

Actually the 4-inch Lawman is suppose to be considerably more common than the 2-inch. Those grips are the thing about the 2-inch with that round butt configuration. Didn't come factory on the 4-inch model.

Good strong revolver, the Lawman. Really any of the Colt models built on the Mark III or Mark V frame design are stout. Not nearly as refined as the older Official Police, Python, or similar, but good solid guns. The early Mark IIIs supposedly had infrequent trouble with their sintered metal hammers breaking. I understand that the sintered metal hammers were an early form of MIM technology. I don't know about the trouble. Never saw one broken. Once I took a young fellow to the club range on an afternoon. He had a 4-inch Lawman. I had a selection of different loads on hand and invited him to try a few. One of the loads was from a left-over batch of really heavy experimental .357 Magnum handloads made up with copious charges of 2400 underneath a 158 grain jacketed hollow point. They'd been especially worked up in my N-Frame Smith & Wesson Model 27. He got into those without me paying proper attention and fired off a few cylinders-full. I winced when I found out he'd shot them off, feeling that such a load should have been approached with caution in another revolver besides my own. The Colt Lawman took it all in stride, didn't give any obvious signs of pressure, and ate the loads right up. I shot the Lawman with the loads and it was relatively pleasant to fire, configured as it was with standard factory Colt square butt stocks. Empties just fell out. These loads really "rattled the fillings in one's teeth," giving a very loud report from the 4-inch Colt and a concussive sensation in ones chest cavity. Seemed worse than from the 6-inch Model 27 and also was worse for the person standing near the shooter than the shooter himself.

Good gun, that Colt.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdoc1017 View Post
    I traded for a Colt today. Really unsure on the value. So many different ones online. It's a 98% gun super clean very tight. Year 1974 any help would've be great.

Put the photos up and ask in the Revolver Forum of Colt Forum, those guys know everything: Colt Revolvers

Let us know what they say, though anyone here might hit the correct value also.

Colts - especially Colt Revolvers most of which are no longer manufactured, like the Lawman - go UP in value even when used, (unless of course, "never-fired with box and papers" - they go down when shot).

Man, that sure is a beauty.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links