442 with moonclips

This is a discussion on 442 with moonclips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, a new 442-1 followed me home yesterday and I was looking it over and I noticed that the cylinder must be cut for moon ...

Thread: 442 with moonclips

442 with moonclips

So, a new 442-1 followed me home yesterday and I was looking it over and I noticed that the cylinder must be cut for moon clips. I honestly don't know how I missed this in the store! Is this a common thing on 442s or did I get a mismarked gun? Or, are all of them like that and I never noticed?!

2. Remove Ads

That would be a 442 Pro.

It also has a blackened stainless cylinder instead of the standard blued carbon steel cylinder on the standard 442.

I think you can shoot it without clips as well.

I don't know the particulars of your new gun. But I will say that moon clips are great. My 9mm SP101s use them and they make reloading a revolver a breeze compared to speed strips or speed loaders.

we need pictures!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have one of the 642 Pro's which also uses moon clips...works great with or without clips....

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Normal looking 442 looking smith that can run with or with out moon clips. Wonder why they don't make them all like that. I have herd in the pass some prefer after market clips but sounds like you got ya a nice bonus

I found the 38/357 cases to be a tad long and they flop around alot making reloads slower than speedloaders. Then you must carry the clips in a supportive case or they are easily bent.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    nice !! Pictures lease !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I found the 38/357 cases to be a tad long and they flop around alot making reloads slower than speedloaders. Then you must carry the clips in a supportive case or they are easily bent.
    You're probably right. Typical revolver cartridges lengths would probably make it more difficult to reload than say 9mm or 45ACP rounds in moon clips.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Normal looking 442 looking smith that can run with or with out moon clips. Wonder why they don't make them all like that. I have herd in the pass some prefer after market clips but sounds like you got ya a nice bonus

A 4 letter word COST. It is a extra step/cost to machine the cylinder face. There was a guy on g-broker that had a .357 Model 60 machined to take the moon clips. He can now shoot .38, .357, .380, and 9mm. TK Customs can machine cylinders if you need one.
    I carry a S&W 940, the 5 shot moon clip 2" 9mm.

Links