MP Shield range report and review... pics and video

This is a discussion on MP Shield range report and review... pics and video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally took my new to me 9mm Shield to the range, and boy was it an awesome trip. The first thing I did was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: MP Shield range report and review... pics and video

I finally took my new to me 9mm Shield to the range, and boy was it an awesome trip. The first thing I did was ensure that my shield was not effected by the recall. Once that was passes, I took a trip to the local range.

My ammo of choice was PMC 115gr FMJ, as it is what I had on hand. Shooting distance was 7-15 yds, with crappy range lighting and a poor ventilation system. After singing in and getting my lane assignment I setteled in for some fun. The firzt mag was just for fun as a means to attune myself to the trigger and get a feel for the gun overall. My initial impression was that it was a very easy shooting gun with easy to see sights and soft recoil. even in the dim lights the sights were easy to find. The recoil was insignificant, with double taps and follow ups a breeze.

The hand feel of the shield by itself is highly impressive. It fits well in the hand of most paople, even those such as myself with larger hands. The grip is thin and well sculpted, and is modeled after the M&P series medium grip from the interchangeable back straps. The Shield ships with two mags, a t rnd and an 8 rnd magazine. I found the 8 rnd mag to be the most comfortable in hand, as I hate having my pinky dangle on a gun. All of my shooting was done with the 8 rnd mag for the best grip, and it is the one I am most likely to carry. An odd note of the shield is how it feels like a much bigger gun in hand, yet is really a very small gun. I literally felt like I was carrying a much larger gun that was filled with helium. I would not hesitate to use this gun for everything.

The first Mag grouped easily, with all the rounds falling center mass in a neat little cluster. Subsequent groupings followed the same pattern. Not the smallest groups ever but by no means large. A BG would have had a really bad day with any of them. While shooting the shield was quick to follow up, IMO this was due to the very easy feeling it has in hand. It may not be for everyone, but for me it was great. As the magazines disappeared from full to empty, the shield really shined as an easy shooting small gun capable of excellent accuracy. I had no complaints in its ability to put rounds into a small area at any given distance. with a three inch barrel, the shield had no issues with shooting to kill, so to speak.

Reliability was perfect, with zero failures in 100 rnds. While not a large amount, it is what I had time for. The Shield spit out brass hard to the right with enough force to bounce them off the wall and into my face. There was no indication of the brass striking the slide, and brass was in perfect shape as well. The sights are of the typical three dot variety but are very visible with good gapping when the sights are aligned. My sights have been painted flourescent orange and green for visibility but it is a preference, not a necessity.

Not all was amazing about the shield however. One issue i had was the diminutive size of the slide release and the safety. Both are small and not the easiest to engage. with the slide locked back on a magazine, it is very difficult to depress the slide release. Now some of you may be punching your monitors screaming that it isnt a slide release on the shield.... I dont care... it releases the slide so its a slide release. There has been some question to the saftey as well. the shield is not offered without one, and many have condemned it for this... I say thanks for making them available to the rest of us. The safety is very non discreet so if you dont like it..... dont use it ! That simple... I choose to leave mine off and I have yet to have it come on. Engaging the safety on the draw is a somewhat questionable proceess at best in my opinion. I have to use the side of my thumb and with it being small it could be easy to miss in a social situation. This is something to strongly consider if you prefer to use a safety on your carry guns.

Honestly, these were the only faults I really found with my shield. It fed everyround, it went bang, and it asked for more. I cant ask much more of a carry gun, big or small.

The most impressive feature of the shield IMO was the recoil of the 9mm... or lack thereof. When compared to guns of similar size the shield is very very light recoiling. Double taps were quick and easy and very accurate.

Over all, the shield is a great buy for the right guy( or girl) It is accurate, easily carried, and affordable. If you have been looking at them, you should definitely try one out.

Here is a link showing me firing the shield and its very mild recoil characteristics. M&P Shield 9mm recoil - YouTube

photo.JPG

head shots were done at 10 yds...com shot at 7 yds

EDIT**** My magazines are very difficult to load the last round in both. It was faster to load five rounds shoot and reload than it was to keep trying to load all 7 or 8 rounds and fighting with it.
    Last edited by Taurahe; September 20th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sweet!! Looks like you got a winner. Love the muzzle blast in the low light at the range in your vid.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Sweet!! Looks like you got a winner. Love the muzzle blast in the low light at the range in your vid.
    I didnt realise there was muzzle flash until i watched the video there was none seen while shooting.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Yeah sweet gun. Really like mine also just cant get wife on board with it. She won't put her 642 down for anything. Which is why I bought it.
    Taurahe likes this.

Good video. From that angle, the recoil looks almost non-existent.

VIP Member
    I agree...great EDC firearm for personal defense. That's why I own one. Feels good in the hand and feels good to shoot. Different angle on the video. Not what I was expecting. Different and good. Thanks for taking the time to put your experience down "on paper" and sharing with the good peeps of this forum. Nice job!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

It's not a slide release, it's a slide stop. Pull the slide to put it into battery.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...04-02-2012.pdf
    Page 17:
    Pull the slide to the rear and release it, allowing it to carry fully forward. This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it in the chamber of the barrel.
    Kahrs work the same way, I believe. You pull the slide to re-chamber a round.

1911ers will use the slide stop as a slide relese. But one has to make sure that there's a round in the magazine because one shouldn't release the slide on a 1911 when it is empty.

Great review. I enjoy shooting mine and have recently tried some heavier ammo. What is your experience level? Is this your first gun? It is for me :)

Quote Originally Posted by gregivq View Post
    Great review. I enjoy shooting mine and have recently tried some heavier ammo. What is your experience level? Is this your first gun? It is for me :)
    I have been shooting for over 20 yrs now, focusing on handguns for the last 8 or so. This is definitely not my first gun either lol. I have gone through more handguns than I care to remember.... G21, M&P 40,Ruger 95, a tuarus snubbie, Ruger LCR .38 spcl, ..... theres more imnot thinking of too... my current stable consists of a Ruger SR40C, my new shield, and a Springfield GI commander 1911.
    ~Daniel Webster

The Shield is a great carry gun. I really like mine. I usually carry 7+1, with 1 or 2 8rd b/u's. Your video came out really cool.

Sweeeet carry pistol! I'm very pleased with the way mine carries and shoots!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I really only have one complaint with my shield. The sight paint fell out. Same with my brother in law. Be prepared to repaint the sights.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tcfiero View Post
    I really only have one complaint with my shield. The sight paint fell out. Same with my brother in law. Be prepared to repaint the sights.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk 2
    This the real reason god gave us white nail polish !!!!
    ~Daniel Webster

Nice review!! I came real close to picking up the shield that comes with no safety, I ended up going with another gun but the shields are nice guns. Another thing about the shield is its very skinny, I think its under an inch wide.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
    Nice review!! I came real close to picking up the shield that comes with no safety, I ended up going with another gun but the shields are nice guns. Another thing about the shield is its very skinny, I think its under an inch wide.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    0.90" wide, and I didnt know they made one without the safety.
    ~Daniel Webster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links