Alloy and polymer framed guns

This is a discussion on Alloy and polymer framed guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never owned an alloy or polymer framed gun. Although I have quite a collection, they are all steel or stainless. I just like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alloy and polymer framed guns

Alloy and polymer framed guns

I have never owned an alloy or polymer framed gun. Although I have quite a collection, they are all steel or stainless. I just like the weight and durability of an all steel piece. Some of my fellow shooters are critical of this and tell me to get with the times and go glock. I always admired the Sig,but didn't buy one until they came out with an all steel version. I now have the P220,P226,and P229 all with stainless frames. I have been shooting 1911 pistols since joining the army in 64 but never owned an alloy framed one. I Am convinced that some of the aluminum,and poly guns are excellent shooters. Just not my cup of tea. Am I the only one out there who feels this way
    Last edited by bluesteel; December 3rd, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Try a glock I dare you. I am the opposite of you I have mostly tupperware pistols but I do have one 1911 springfield which is way too heavy for me to carry all day.

I'm an XDer for life!

Administrator

Save Yourself Some Weight

Buy yourself an alloy or polymer framed firearm.

The SIG alloy frame is totally amazing. It has proved as durable as any steel frame for all practical shooting purposes.
    The hard coat anodize finish on the SIG pistols is incredibly tough. There is absolutely no reason not to purchase a SIG, GLOCK, or other top name brand firearm based on considerations of frame material.
    Aircraft Aluminum, Polymer, Titanium, they are all stronger than need be for firearm purposes.
    COLT and SIG lightweight frames are like Energizer Bunnies they will just keep going and going and going..................and the polymer Glockers are virtually indestructible.

Steel pros and cons

There are certainly many advantages of all steel guns, not the least of which is exceptional strength and durability at a reasonable material price. The generally greater weight of a steel gun compared to one with aluminum or polymer frame is also useful for handling recoil and holding the gun steady while aiming. While conventional steel can rust and needs surface protection, stainless steel resists rust and offers an attractive color and appearance.

I think the big advantage of aluminum and polymer for gun frames is in the weight savings for a carry gun. In a range gun the weight of steel may not matter, but it is inconvenient to carry extra weight on your belt all day. Polymer frames also seem to be more resistant to dings and scratches than steel, and polymer can be molded easily, which is probably a cheaper manufacturing method than machining of steel or aluminum.

I'm glad we now have a choice of several frame materials, which was not the case when I was young and everything was blued or parkerized steel.

Polymer is great but It loses some of the aesthetic value. I would rather hold an all steel revolver or auto than a GLOCK. Polymer is so light and easy to strap on it is great for carry. For home gun or anything else I prefer metal.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

polymer offers more as a CCW than steel or stainless does. Also, in any caliber you want, 45, 9, 40 sw, 357 sig, etcetera you can usually find a polymer that has a high capacity that the steel/stainless rigs. Just go to the gunrange with your polymer friends and try some Glock, Sig and some XD and enjoy yourself. Who knows? You might find the perfect CCW for you! Take it easy!

If Kimber Develops...

a gun made out of an expanded rigid polystyrene plastic, and it was a good shooter...

I'd carry that 'styrofoam' gun!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I like nice steel and blue for a show off gun , but honestly i carry tupperware day to day .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    I have never owned an alloy or polymer framed gun. Although I have quite a collection, they are all steel or stainless. I just like the weight and durability of an all steel piece. Some of my fellow shooters are critical of this and tell me to get with the times and go glock. I always admired the Sig,but didn't buy one until they came out with an all steel version. I now have the P220,P226,and P229 all with stainless frames. I have been shooting 1911 pistols since joining the army in 64 but never owned an alloy framed one. I Am convinced that some of the aluminum,and poly guns are excellent shooters. Just not my cup of tea. Am I the only one out there who feels this way
    I do not like polymer either, I also want a external hammer.
    I do have an alloy frame with stainless slide.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    I Am convinced that some of the aluminum,and poly guns are excellent shooters. Just not my cup of tea.
    There are only so many ways to keep the weight/size down, but basically it comes down to use of materials. Material selection is key; forging and other processes can help. In the end, though, what combination works best for someone is just that: best for that person.

Agreed that all-steel and heavier examples shoot better. But, for a carry piece, single-shot targeting is only part of the equation.

Love the accuracy of Glocks, but I can't easily manipulate the slide control (left-handed). SIGs are wonderful shooters, but ditto on the controls, and they're too "top heavy" for my tastes. Beretta or Taurus are fine, but I despise the safety devices, particularly when slide-mounted. My Browning BDM is an odd character, but it's slim and concealable like nothing else. My CZ P01 is basic, though a bit wide, but its combination of features is solid.

For me, the combination of traits found in a mid-weight 9mm works very well. Under 30oz; small enough to maneuver easily, but large enough to handle full-power loads; very accurate; relatively easy to conceal; perfectly reliable; higher capacity. A CZ P01 fits the bill, forged alum. frame and all. Wish it were thinner, and perhaps had an adjustable trigger reach, but otherwise it's the perfect single gun (for me). Alloy and wonderful.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    SA LW(alum frame) and HK USP (poly frame) . steel is old school. Get with the times. J/K , but I find weight does make a difference carrying all day.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have some of Both lightweight alloy and tupperware guns and prefer all steel to carry i figure at my weight what is a few more OZ

Plus you cant pistol whip someone as effectly with Tupperware

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I'm an XDer for life!
    +1

I just can't get into the heavyweight division.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

S&W M&P. I like it a lot. Walther P22 is my other polymer gun. I would buy a Glock but S&W fit my hand better. Plastic guns are very durable. Give 'em a whirl. If you like metal, though, just stick with it. I have a ss revolver but would never carry it around due to the fact it weighs so much and is too big.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links