How to get rid OF A GREAT GUN?

This is a discussion on How to get rid OF A GREAT GUN? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Steyr compact 40. Its a GREAT GUN! And I cant give that thing away. Its been up for sale for some time, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: How to get rid OF A GREAT GUN?

How to get rid OF A GREAT GUN?

I have a Steyr compact 40. Its a GREAT GUN! And I cant give that thing away.

Its been up for sale for some time, and its not going anywhere soon, it seems. I have lowered the price way below what it should be, raised the price...it just doesnt matter. I have had it listed on armslist, btw.

Im convinced that its because Steyr Mannlicher is just not very well known in the US. Heck, I even have extra mags to go with it, and offered it with ammo. Nope, its not moving.

Btw, its in MINT condition, very low round count, etc.

SO, I will probably be heading to the gun shop I got it from, today. I was thinking of putting it on consignment, but may consider trading it for something like a Glock 26. I have G 19s already.

Anyone else been down this road before? I had the price lowered so low at one point that I would almost rather throw it in the river before coming down another penny, and still no real interest in it.

Any ideas welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Its been up for sale for some time, and its not going anywhere soon, it seems. I have lowered the price way below what it should be, raised the price...it just doesnt matter. I have had it listed on armslist, btw.
    If you post it on GunBroker as an auction that has no reserve price and no minimum price, you'll get a bite soon enough. Set it to NoReserve, NoMinimum, ~4wks timeframe. Someone will buy it, though possibly at a price lower than you'd prefer. If you absolutely won't take less than $X, set a minimum/starting price.

In such a situation, obviously stellar photos and descriptions could help your cause. The type of buyer you're searching for is the one who'll appreciate what they're seeing, even some who'd be willing to take a gamble on something that seemingly is so good as to not be a gamble.

I've done this once or twice on slow movers. Works well, if you're prepared to accept the market reality at the time (ie, lower prices).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Do you have good pictures if the fun ? These always help in selling. I think you hit it on the head with it being an odd brand in the is though. If you are willing to take the hit on it I would prob trade it in towards a new gun. If you don't need to trade it in hold on to it , you can never have too many guns

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Thanks for the reply. I have never used gunbroker, so had no real knowledge of it. Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you post it on GunBroker as an auction that has no reserve price and no minimum price, you'll get a bite soon enough. Set it to NoReserve, NoMinimum, ~4wks timeframe. Someone will buy it, though possibly at a price lower than you'd prefer. If you absolutely won't take less than $X, set a minimum/starting price.

In such a situation, obviously stellar photos and descriptions could help your cause. The type of buyer you're searching for is the one who'll appreciate what they're seeing, even some who'd be willing to take a gamble on something that seemingly is so good as to not be a gamble.

I've done this once or twice on slow movers. Works well, if you're prepared to accept the market reality at the time (ie, lower prices).

Photos, from all angles.
    Photos of any and all blems, issues.
    Descriptions of all aspects.
    Description of the shooting logs, maintenance history.
    Description of all "extras" (spare mags, spare parts/springs, ammo you're tossing in, whatever).
    Simple and clear identification of this somewhat lesser-known model of gun.
    Pointing to supporting web links as needed, to help the "rubes" out when they learn of this great auction.

It'll all help, IMO.
    blitzburgh, StormRhydr and Tzadik like this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thats a great question....the answer is: I have the best pics of it I can take. That dayum gun really doesnt take good pics. The slide seems off color in the pics, the polymer looks greasy, the pics are honestly not that good, but its that particular gun that just doesnt photograph well.

Bear in mind, in person, the gun is great looking. Just not as good in pics. I have taken a number of different sets of pics trying to get them better, and some are better than others, but honestly, none do the gun justice. And I put that in the ad. Letting people know that the pics didnt do the gun justice. No dice, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Do you have good pictures if the fun ? These always help in selling. I think you hit it on the head with it being an odd brand in the is though. If you are willing to take the hit on it I would prob trade it in towards a new gun. If you don't need to trade it in hold on to it , you can never have too many guns

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs

Thanks for the reply. I have never used gunbroker, so had no real knowledge of it. Good info.
    GunBroker's a pretty good one, IMO. As with any classified ads thing, it's incumbent upon the seller and buyer to get comfortable with each other, vet each other. Personally, I only like doing business with long-time GunBroker participants, ones who have a stellar track record on several transactions. I only allow certain forms of payment. I always prepare my sale item ahead of time and deliver it to my FFL shop, and then notify the buyer of that fact so the buyer can get a second opinion on the gun and its condition if he so chooses. And I generally want to be speaking with the buyer on the phone before the sale concludes, ideally before any bid is made, though that's not really within my power as a seller to control. (As a buyer, I always call first and get a feel for the item, the seller, but that's just me.)

The GunBroker seller/buyer FAQ write-ups are pretty complete. They'll describe the process pretty well, once you've got a login handle.

And you can always ask questions here, on how to "do" GunBroker transactions. Vet your buyers, ensure legit payment prior to sending your item, and ensure you're truthful and complete in your description of the item being sold. Pretty simple, really.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Wish I could swing it. The more I look at Steyr's handgun offerings, the more I find myself liking them. Unfortunately, I've yet to be able to see one in person. Perhaps that will change at the gun show I'm attending tomorrow.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Great gun no one wants to give you near it's value ..... then why sell it
    DaveInEdmonds and yz9890 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Photos, from all angles.
    Photos of any and all blems, issues.
    Descriptions of all aspects.
    Description of the shooting logs, maintenance history.
    Description of all "extras" (spare mags, spare parts/springs, ammo you're tossing in, whatever).
    Simple and clear identification of this somewhat lesser-known model of gun.
    Pointing to supporting web links as needed, to help the "rubes" out when they learn of this great auction.

It'll all help, IMO.
    More good info, thanks. I have done some of that. ie extras included, and ZERO flaws, defects, low round count, etc. The pics have been problematic. I prolly should have used stock ones from Steyr.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Great gun no one wants to give you near it's value ..... then why sell it
    Because its a 40 cal, and I have switched to 9mm. Its a paper weight as it is, and I cant justify just keeping it gathering dust.

You know, no kidding, its one of the sweetest pistols that I have ever shot, or held. The sights are the finest I have ever seen on anything. I wish I had bought it in 9mm.

StormRhydr: Is this it ... the Steyr S-A1 .40S&W compact?

Looks about the size of a Glock 19, but ~0.7" shorter.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Blitz, make sure to get one in your hands, and then look at the sights. The feel, but especially the sights, (in addition to Steyrs rep), are what sold me on that gun.

The sights are out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Wish I could swing it. The more I look at Steyr's handgun offerings, the more I find myself liking them. Unfortunately, I've yet to be able to see one in person. Perhaps that will change at the gun show I'm attending tomorrow.

VIP Member
    More good info, thanks. I have done some of that. ie extras included, and ZERO flaws, defects, low round count, etc. The pics have been problematic. I prolly should have used stock ones from Steyr.
    IMO, I'd stay away from stock photos. I'd like to see a picture of the actual gun I'm buying, even if it's NIB and looks no different than the stock photo. Now, how many others feel the same way, couldn't tell ya.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    IMO, I'd stay away from stock photos. I'd like to see a picture of the actual gun I'm buying, even if it's NIB and looks no different than the stock photo. Now, how many others feel the same way, couldn't tell ya.
    Yup. It's a matter of trust, strange as that might sound. I look for the same, and I too am put off by stock photos. The implication is that something's being hidden or sidestepped, somehow. Which might well be false. But, with proper photos, good and complete descriptions, supporting proof of the range log and maintenance, etc, it gets hard to not see the "deal" for what it is. The more the better, if selected well. At least, for me it is.
    blitzburgh and Remy like this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links