new 642 without a lock

This is a discussion on new 642 without a lock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New 642 without the lock its a done deal, it was really simple taking off the sideplate and disabling the lock was even simpler. BTW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new 642 without a lock

new 642 without a lock

New 642 without the lock its a done deal, it was really simple taking off the sideplate and disabling the lock was even simpler. BTW I ended up stripping the whole pistol and let me tell you that spring for the hand is a bugger, I had to download a schematic to figure it out. That lock is never gonna work again and from looking at the gun you would never know its been disabled , test fired it with the lock engaged and it still fires and didnt even make a scratch on it/

2. Remove Ads

Congrats. It's a shame you had to do that. One would think that the manufacturer, would remove it's head from it's hind quaters, and produce revolvers without the lock. Regards 18DAI.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mastinson View Post
    New 642 without the lock its a done deal, it was really simple taking off the sideplate and disabling the lock was even simpler. BTW I ended up stripping the whole pistol and let me tell you that spring for the hand is a bugger, I had to download a schematic to figure it out. That lock is never gonna work again and from looking at the gun you would never know its been disabled , test fired it with the lock engaged and it still fires and didnt even make a scratch on it/
    You realize you just voided your warranty?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Nope if I ever send it in I will just have to reinstall the flag.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    mastinson ... admit it , you tear the tags off the mattresses too dont you LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I hate tags lol

Well now you done gone and done it...

Now, when your gun sneaks out of its drawer late one night and goes out on its own and kills someone, your not going to have S&W's legal team standing next to yours to back you up. Your now on your own! I will visit you in Sing Sing... bring you cigarettes and a nail file.

I have done the same by grinding off the post off the flag. I threw the keys in the garbage. My lock is still presnet but fires on and off. Who needs it not me.

Yep you got it Fowler I will install a new flag if I ever need warranty work done.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I don't care for the locks, but I have to wonder why you felt you had to disable the lock.

I have a 642 and carry it daily. I unlocked mine when I bought it and have not had a problem with it relocking by itself. Have I missed something? Is there a known issue?

Like I said, I don't care for the lock, but it is there and disabling it does not make it go away.

God forbid that I ever have to draw and use my firearm, I will if I have to. I would however rather go to court with a stock gun that I have not modified.

I have put together a .45 1911 and would never think of carrying it. Why? Because I made it.

JMHO
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

There have been reports of them locking themselves, most reports are mainly on the airweight and airlight series due to the high recoil but a guy here locally had one lock up on a 460 and that was probably recoil induced also. After looking inside one and seeing how weak the spring is that activates the flag I could see how it could happen.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    There have been reports of them locking themselves, most reports are mainly on the airweight and airlight series due to the high recoil but a guy here locally had one lock up on a 460 and that was probably recoil induced also. After looking inside one and seeing how weak the spring is that activates the flag I could see how it could happen.
    Interesting.... I will have to look into it.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

i have heard of a few airweight locking up and espically on after it was dropped

but never have heard of a 460 or 500 locking up and i shoot a lot of 440's and 700 grainers though my 500

If any of my smiths i figure the airweight 357pd in 41 mag will be the one to lock up

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    God forbid that I ever have to draw and use my firearm, I will if I have to. I would however rather go to court with a stock gun that I have not modified.
    Right or wrong, that is the very reason I would never remove or disable the lock on my own 642.

I've asked two well-respected and experienced gunsmiths about "the lock"--they have never found nor heard of any problems with it.

I'd guess it's like any other lock for anything, it you don't like it, just don't use it....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links