Weekend fun with two mortal enemies!

This is a discussion on Weekend fun with two mortal enemies! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock and the 1911 ;) Finally got the girlfriend comfortable shooting a subcompact 9x19. We rented a Gen 4 Glock 26 today. Fun as hell, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Weekend fun with two mortal enemies!

Weekend fun with two mortal enemies!

Glock and the 1911 ;)

Finally got the girlfriend comfortable shooting a subcompact 9x19. We rented a Gen 4 Glock 26 today. Fun as hell, but she prefers the Gen 3 grip texture by far. I of course brought the war horse. Notice where all the .45 ACP sized holes are ;)

bmcgilvray and CIBMike like this.

2. Remove Ads

That is because the .45 was shot at 3 yards...just kidding! But shooting a subcompact vs a full size gun for accuracy is like foot racing a child.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I even see powder burns around the holes.
    Chief1297, WHEC724 and ChrisATX like this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    She prefers the Gen 3 grip texture by far.
    Then it's a good thing that she wasn't firing an FNH. She would absolutely hate those (FNX, FNS). Did she have the default, small, back-strap on the G26? The G26G3 defaults to the medium back-strap, so she may have problems depressing the mag release.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I've never seen the two as mortal enemies, more like friendly rivals both known for honest reliability and relative accuracy. Don't own a Glock but I do like them. I do own 1911s and like them .

I see this outing as a win-win. Two handguns, one is an Icon and the next is the heir
    blitzburgh and ChrisATX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I even see powder burns around the holes.

Did she have any problems firing left handed?

Sounds like a great day to me! Do you have any pictures to post of the 1911?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Been trying for some time to get the wife to give shooting a try, not yet, but getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Did she have any problems firing left handed?
    Not at all, she has a great thumbs-forward grip and 360 wrap, although she's more comfortable with weaver-ish arm extensions and it drives me crazy. One of the reasons I was hoping she would like the Gen 4 26 is the ambi mag release.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Sounds like a great day to me! Do you have any pictures to post of the 1911?

Hahah! Probably more than you care to see!

Check it out: IT came from the Florida Swamps!!!!

OP-

Forgive this stupid question but Is your GF left-handed or just trying lefty shooting? If she's a lefty I'd encourage her to keep the mag release righty and train to use her left hand index or middle finger to manipulate the mag release. It just makes it easier to use all pistols then.
    RmScadd likes this.

wondering, she's a lefty and left eye dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    Been trying for some time to get the wife to give shooting a try, not yet, but getting closer.
    She was brave and started with my .45 ACP. Hated it. But she was open minded since she knows shooting is a big part of who I am, so we graduated down to a Ruger MK III rental every time we went to the range. She loved it, but the local range here refuses to rent their .22LR pistols right now until ammo stocks go up, so it was either try a .380 or a 9 mm. She wanted to stay small, but I convinced her to try handling a full size 1911 chambered in 9 mm... she loved it and wanted to try the "baby Glock" next.

First mod that will happen when she buys one? Pink slide coverplate. Watch. Just watch.

ChrisATX-

As a lefty myself...I'd recommend that she just use the mag release and slide release/lock as they are on the left side of the pistol (for righties) as this will allow her more choices of platforms. Few pistols have ambi-slide releases and not all have a swappable mag release and even so most are set for righties. She may as well get used to using them with her left hand. I haven't had any issues using my left hand to manipulate at righty mag-release and I usually slingshot to pistol making a slide release unnecessary. (locking the slide is a different story and I usually have to shift hands to do that but that isn't something you would do in the "heat of the moment").

However, I would recommend that she finds a pistol with an ambi-safety (if she has a manual safety at all) as this motion must be carried out in the "heat of the moment" and it is not feasible to manipulate a righty safety with your left hand.
    ChrisATX likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links