Catastrophic shield failure!!!!!! Aaahhhhhh

This is a discussion on Catastrophic shield failure!!!!!! Aaahhhhhh within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My shield is currently dead and I am unhappy. MY williams firesights came in the mail today so I trucked it on over to a ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Catastrophic shield failure!!!!!! Aaahhhhhh

Catastrophic shield failure!!!!!! Aaahhhhhh

My shield is currently dead and I am unhappy. MY williams firesights came in the mail today so I trucked it on over to a friends house who has an MGW sight pusher specifically for the shield. The front sight pushed out just fine. After lining up on the rear sight and ensuring it was pushing straight on the sight, I began pushing it out. After reaching resistance I continued turning slowly waiting for the locktite to break. Made it about 3/4 of a turn with medium resistance and heard a loud pop, and for some reason my stomach dropped. I glanced down, and saw the left side of the slide had cracked along the rail groove from the rear of the slide for a good inch or so running towards the muzzle. So now I sit hear with a broken gun. Guess I will be calling Smith and wesson first thing monday. At this point I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I have pushed sights off of my glocks, rugers and even an XD( that was a beast and a half!) and various long guns and never had a problem. Yeah, some have been tight but I didnt even hit full resistance. Heart broken is an understatement.

Side note: it is everyhere that the shield rear sights are a bear to remove, and I took this into account. Yes I removed the set screw, yes I heated the sight to break the locktite.

photo (2).jpg
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

Sorry to hear about that Taurahe. That's a ******* way to start the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Taurahe. That's a ******* way to start the weekend.
    That my good friend is an understatement.
    Aceoky likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

I guess the shields aren't all they're "cracked" up to be, are they?

(Too soon?)

Sorry bud. I hope S&W can help out.
    Brad426, srings, msgt/ret and 8 others like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

At least you now know that your rear sights are bomb proof, and will probably out last the rest of the gun. Hopefully S&W will have a quick turn around repairing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I guess the shields aren't all they're "cracked" up to be, are they?

(Too soon?)

Sorry bud. I hope S&W can help out.
    I needed a good chuckle lol
    Aceoky likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

Wow!

T - that sucks. Hopefully S&W won't put up any resistance to replacing your slide, especially since you were using an appropriate tool.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    At least you now know that your rear sights are bomb proof, and will probably out last the rest of the gun. Hopefully S&W will have a quick turn around repairing it.
    Me too, but I am hoping they foot the bill for it too. I did nothing out of the ordinary to cause this, I just hope they see it the same way. I actually documented what tools I used, my sights etc so they cannot say I was using the wrong equipment.... guess we will see. If not, looks like I get to buy a new slide for my gun.
    ~Daniel Webster

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    That sucks big time. I can't believe that thing was in there that tight. Looks to me like there had to be a weak spot in that slide for something like that to happen. I hope S&W will take care of you.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    Wow! That sucks (putting it mildly).

I had to use S&W CS one time with my (often maligned and hated, but very inexpensive) Sigma. They promptly issued a prepaid return freight authorization and had my Sigma fixed up and back to me in a couple of weeks. I guess they could make an argument that you caused the damage but the firearm business is a competitive one, so maybe they'll take care of you.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    They say that if you live long enough you will get to see everything......

Never seen that.....hopefully S&W steps up to the plate for ya, that crack looks a long way from the rear sight. I was expecting a crack from the top down or something, based on your description.

Ask them to email you a postage label, they did that for me cuts down on time
    GhostMaker, 40Bob and Aceoky like this.

Makes you feel better that stuff happens I slipped on a barrel nut AR15 the shock bent a brand new upper receiver. That was right at the time you could not get one at any price. I waited but was a 140 dollar slip.
    good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Ask them to email you a postage label, they did that for me cuts down on time
    If they wont, it will be some time before I can ship it off. Its hard to have fois gras tastes on a shoe string budget..
    pittypat21 and Aceoky like this.
    ~Daniel Webster

Look at it this way.....better to find out you have a junk slide while pushing out a sight than to find out you have a junk slide
    while shooting to save your life.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links