New Glock 30 Problem

This is a discussion on New Glock 30 Problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I just bought a glock 30 gen 4 at my local gun store. This is a first for me. When I got it home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Glock 30 Problem

New Glock 30 Problem

Hey,

I just bought a glock 30 gen 4 at my local gun store. This is a first for me. When I got it home I cleaned it and oiled it up as it was unbelievably DRY! After getting it all clean I loaded it up and when I put a round in the chamber using the slide release the round didn't feed and gut stuck in barrel. I tried it again and had the same problem. Loading a round without using the slide release gave me no problems what so ever. I am a little worried now? is this normal? Is it just because the gun isn't worn in yet and the slide release is stiff? I didn't do any damage I hope.

Paul

2. Remove Ads

The G21 and G30's have a pretty wide slide that hangs out nearly as far as the slide release. Are you sure the slide is not dragging on your thumb when you push the release?

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My Glock 30 Gen 4 that I bought back in April was bone dry as well. It was the first new Glock that I have ever purchased that did not have the copper anti seize compound on the rails and slide. However, mine has functioned flawlessly.

I must say the lever you are using to release the slide is not the "slide release". On a Glock, it is the "slide stop." Glocks are designed to be loaded by pulling the slide to the rear and then letting go. My guess is the slide is catching your thumb.
    Last edited by Tundra5.7; September 21st, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Try going 'over the top'...racking the slide by grasping it and doing a push-pull motion. The gun-hand pushes the other pulls slide rearward
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Magazines are tight. The pistol itself don't need breaking in....just your mags need to settle down a bit.

Try not filling the mag all the way up. If you have snap caps, use those instead in the mag and slingshot the slide and see if the problem still occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb787 View Post
    Hey,

I just bought a glock 30 gen 4 at my local gun store. This is a first for me. When I got it home I cleaned it and oiled it up as it was unbelievably DRY! After getting it all clean I loaded it up and when I put a round in the chamber using the slide release the round didn't feed and gut stuck in barrel. I tried it again and had the same problem. Loading a round without using the slide release gave me no problems what so ever. I am a little worried now? is this normal? Is it just because the gun isn't worn in yet and the slide release is stiff? I didn't do any damage I hope.

Paul
    TAKE IT BACK FORTHWITH! It never shot! Tell them it's defective and you want a replacement or money back. Do not try to fix it! They won't take it back and they'll blame you for tinkering with it. Do exactly what you would do if it was a Toaster that failed to heat up. Gunners seem to think it's their fault if a new gun does not function correctly. This is B.S. (unless you're not following operating instructions)

It's the GUN!

Back to store tomorrow! Be tough. That's uncalled for and dangerous: a defective GUN, for godssake... They should be testing each gun BEFORE sale. Anyone knows that. They're not selling chocolate. Get your outrage up and kill the guilt! A Defect could kill you or others if you get the wrong one.

(I'd be mad as hell myself).
    Last edited by detective; September 22nd, 2013 at 03:52 AM.

Thank you for all of your responses. I am going to shoot it today and see how it operates. ill let u know. I think it has to be my thumb maybe because the gun is new and the slide release is stiff. Ill see how it does after it lossens up today. I have shot plenty of glocks and yes they can be loaded with the slide release.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Glocks require a break-in period.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    What kind of ammo?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by paulb787 View Post
    ... when I put a round in the chamber using the slide release the round didn't feed and got stuck in barrel. I tried it again and had the same problem. Loading a round without using the slide release gave me no problems what so ever.
    Guess we can yell, It's not a slide release - it's a slide stop! It's a Glock. Same goes for Kahrs and S&Ws. You're not "supposed" to use it as a slide release. Probably needs breaking in. I suspect that after a few hundred rounds you'll be able to use it as a slide release. In the mean time do not fill the mags to full capacity. See if having two rounds less gives the same problem. I still suspect over filling of the mag putting too much pressure on the spring and the spring putting too much pressure on the slide release tang, extractor and ejector.

I know it seems like a little thing, but when considering the Glock 19 versus the Walther PPQ I am leaning towards the PPQ because it can actually be used as a slide release. I got turned off the S&W M&P because the slide stop can't be used as a slide release and because of the take down "lever". As I said, it's a little thing, but because I've always used it as a slide release I won't buy any firearm that doesn't have a true slide release.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    My Glock 30 Gen 4 that I bought back in April was bone dry as well. It was the first new Glock that I have ever purchased that did not have the copper anti seize compound on the rails and slide. However, mine has functioned flawlessly.

I must say the lever you are using to release the slide is not the "slide release". On a Glock, it is the "slide stop." Glocks are designed to be loaded by pulling the slide to the rear and then letting go. My guess is the slide is catching your thumb.
    My Glock 30 manual says to release the slide by either method, specifically: "Insert a new magazine and then either push the slide stop lever (27) downward (See Photo 2), or pull back the slide slightly backward and allow it to spring forward." Either method had been 100% in my G30.

With the loose dimensions of the Glock chamber, any ammo meeting SAAMI specifications should chamber without issue. An improperly resized reload or COL may cause chambering problems.

OP, you are feeding the round from the magazine, aren't you? I mean, not putting a round in the chamber and then releasing the slide?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My Glock 30 manual says to release the slide by either method, specifically: "Insert a new magazine and then either push the slide stop lever (27) downward (See Photo 2), or pull back the slide slightly backward and allow it to spring forward." Either method had been 100% in my G30.

With the loose dimensions of the Glock chamber, any ammo meeting SAAMI specifications should chamber without issue. An improperly resized reload or COL may cause chambering problems.

OP, you are feeding the round from the magazine, aren't you? I mean, not putting a round in the chamber and then releasing the slide?
    Oh I know it can be done as I have done it myself. However, that does not change the fact that Glock designed it as a slide stop...not a slide release.

What you are quoting is "step 4" on page 23 in the Glock owners manual (from my Glock 30 test fired 3-7-2013). Step #3 states(after inserting magazine), "Pull back the slide with the free hand, and allow it to spring forward into the locked position."
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

And the next obvious question, "Did you try another mag?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Glocks require a break-in period.
    I was about to type in about a 24 point size WHAT?????

until the quote box told me the smiley you used was a wink.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links