What is the best .45 platform for ....

This is a discussion on What is the best .45 platform for .... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a .460 Rowland conversion and why? Please include cost effectiveness in the equation....

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66
  • 2 Post By Jaeger

Thread: What is the best .45 platform for ....

What is the best .45 platform for ....

a .460 Rowland conversion and why? Please include cost effectiveness in the equation.
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

2. Remove Ads

Something you already own that can be converted.
    OD* likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

well.....

yeah... i guess what I meant was more along the lines of things like: does a particular gun make have any unforeseen advantages over another. (like Glock and round capacity) besides the one by wilson combat. yeah its sweet, but the cost is prohibitive.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'd say a less expensive but reliable one like a RIA or an IJ. Why, because when you modify/personalize/improve, or otherwise mess with a factory original firearm you pretty much devalue the heck out of it. Unless it's a brand that has a factory custom shop, and the actual manufacturer of the firearm does the work, they simply don't have any resale value. Even if you go with a known and respected third party you are never going to get back what you put in, and fifty years down the road what's going to matter is that it's not an original firearm. There are some rare exceptions to this, but this is generally the case. Don't start off with something expensive, and limit your exposure.

BTW, I don't actually sell firearms, but once in a blue moon I'll trade one, or give one as a gift. That said, I like to know what they're worth, and follow the values as part of the fun.
    pilot101 and msgt/ret like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Thinking Glock, but I must say I've never been a "Glock Person". for a project like this what model....

21? gen 3 or 4 .........

always been a 1911 fan.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    The .460 Rowland conversion does not "modify" the existing gun per se. It's a new slide, barrel, spring assembly that replaces the existing one. More of a tool-less conversion, so warranty shouldn't be an issue, nor should "resale value."
    That said, yeah I'd probably go with a Glock over a 1911 for the conversion, given the choice. The best person to ask about the best 1911 platform would be Johnny himself, at 460rowland.com since it's his creation.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

TRX
    Clark has a list of known-good and known-bad 1911s on their web site. Or you can call and talk to them.

Links