The pros and cons of the "EDC rotation"

This is a discussion on The pros and cons of the "EDC rotation" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We've all heard of the phrase "everyday carry rotation," where someone has multiple firearms they rotate in and our of their everyday carry setup. Perhaps ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: The pros and cons of the "EDC rotation"

We've all heard of the phrase "everyday carry rotation," where someone has multiple firearms they rotate in and our of their everyday carry setup.

Perhaps this person has a setup for different outfits. Or, for different seasons. They might carry a single-stack subcompact during the summer, and then carry a double-stack full-sized during the winter when clothing allows for better concealment. And so on.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of having multiple firearms in EDC rotation? Do you believe having one gun and sticking to it is the best option? If so, why?

Cheers.

VIP Member
    My rotation stays quite steady. Just depends on what I want to carry.

SR1911CMD_R.JPG ColtDE_R.JPG IMG_0690.JPG Colt_R.JPG Kimber.jpg IMG_0576.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    As long as you train and are proficient with your weapon(s) it should not matter IMO. I think that is where most problems could arise in a SHTF scenario. For example, I would not think of carrying a 1911, as my main carry pistols are Glocks. I don't think the 1911 is inferior, it's just I'm not as familiar with the 1911 platform as I am with Glock, Sig, Beretta, and a host of others.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I think the first 2 responses have it right. A rotation of different EDC weapons is fine as long as the manual of arms is pretty much the same IMHO. For me it is handguns with DAO/Glock type actions which includes a Kahr PM9, Glock 19, and my Steyr SA-40. The odd man out is my Sig 229 in .40. I love the Sig to much for it's heft and accuracy and it's the sidearm I carry when overseas, albeit in 9mm.

DP
    brocktice, Flfiremedic and rocky like this.

I have 3 handguns for CC, choice made depending on clothing and environment. The other ones are for HD only.

In selecting a CC firearm, you're looking to find a balance between firepower, weight, reliability, and concealability. Assuming you think through these options carefully and make a good selection, and practice with them until proficient, there's no compelling case to be made for carrying only one to the exclusion of others.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

There is something to be said for consistency and simplicity. As much as possible, I try to carry in the same location. No need to reach for the gun under stress only to find...woops...not there today. It has happened...almost cost a plain clothes officer his life, but for the intervention of his partner. I also only carry point and shoot guns...no thumb or grip safeties for me.

Issue is that there is conlict with some between self defense, and the hobby aspect of things. Let's face it, some folks just like to collect a variety of guns. Nothing wrong with that per se, but being competent with multiple platforms while under stress is something very few can truly master.

OTOH, you should be familiar with different platforms, as you never know what you might need to pick up and use.

Many love their (insert full size semi auto here) but carry a snubbie more often than they might even realize. It might indeed be better to just carry the snubbie full time, and become a master at it. Save the other guns for fun time at the range, or home defense perhaps.

JMHO.

PS - One other thing to consider...your ancillary gear. Are you consistent with where and how you carry your cell phone, flashlight, knife, reloads, etc?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The form of carry that seems to work best for me is pocket carry in cargo shorts. There are several guns that are small enough to fit the bill but weight is more important than other considerations. Pocket carry isn't much good if it pulls my pants down or slaps against my thigh and screams gun in my pocket.

I love the LCR but it is heavier than my S&W 342 which usually makes the cut. The Kel-Tec P3AT is another choice for size & weight. Even though I've fired hundreds of rnds. at the range, I still question the caliber and reliability. The Glock 26, Berretta Nano & Kel-Tec PF-9 are personal favorites, but are just a scosh too big unless I find a IWB holster that works for me. So far I have a drawer full of not quite good enoughs. If I could figure out how to manage them, the Glock 30SF and EMP in 9 mm would definitely be in my carry rotation.

Most of my problem is a big belly that makes anything added to my belt-line stand out. I think a small of the back would be perfect for my shape except for the fact that I have rather serious osteoarthritis and can't get either arm that far around my back with enough strength to control my gun. The Smart Carry type works so-so but if I keep my belt loose enough to get at my gun, my pants fall down. Also, at my age I spend too much time peeing.
    gen3 likes this.

I'll be blunt. It's a mistake to run a rotation. I started that way, literally having a different manual of arms each day of the week. I rationalized that if I owned a pistol I should carry it.

Truth is when the you-know-what hits the fan, your muscle memory will always default to the actions it's most familiar with. Same holster location, same draw stroke, same safety disengage (where applicable), same first shot, same reset, same follow up shot, same mag release and etc.

I know a lot of people here will argue that you can train to handle any firearm on any given day. But most of us don't train to be commandos. When that violent confrontation ever materializes where you literally have 2 seconds to draw and shoot, you'll not be thinking. Your muscle memory will immediately take over. The last thing you need in that 2 second countdown is to reach for the wrong spot, forget to swipe a safety or pull the trigger differently from what your dominant skill set is used to.

In short, stick to one pistol or one type of pistol (i.e. any Glock, any M&P, any SR series gun, any DAO snubby, any 1911 and etc.) don't mix them up.

For range guns, shoot any type you like. For SD where split seconds count, stick to just one pistol or one platform.

Just my $0.02

Well, sticking to one type of gun definitely makes training easier. I think when it comes to carrying a gun, most of us obsess over the gear too much. But, when you start out, you really don't know what works for you so you end up trying a lot of things. Hopefully, after a while you find what works for you and can simplify around that.
    USM1976, Aceoky and Sectionchief like this.

If I change weapons, I train with the new one until comfortable, and make certain that is what I shoot the most at the range. There is a lot to be said for consistancy and sticking to one platform and carry. With that said, if you treat the change like you are transitioning to a new weapon-lots of training, shooting, snapping in etc, change can be good. It can sharpen your focus and prevent complacency.
    I will say I am opposed to the whole weapon of the day or week concept.
    Unreconstructed to the End.
    Dum Vivimus Vivamus
    Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back

I don't know...I jump in my wife's car and I just sit there clueless for 5 minutes before I can figure it out....dripping with sarcasm....

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of having multiple firearms in EDC rotation? Do you believe having one gun and sticking to it is the best option? If so, why?
    Wardrobe, weather, situation ... each of these can change enough to alter the needs of the carrying. I've carried OWB openly, IWB concealed and openly, and pocket. For me, the basic rationale is to work better with the situation, in terms of coverage and utility in that situation. Would prefer, actually, to have the one carry weapon at all times, but wardrobe/situation don't always allow.
    Stoveman and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    Well, sticking to one type of gun definitely makes training easier. I think when it comes to carrying a gun, most of us obsess over the gear too much. But, when you start out, you really don't know what works for you so you end up trying a lot of things. Hopefully, after a while you find what works for you and can simplify around that.

I chuckled a bit when I read your comment because it is true even in police circles. You can go into the local police equipment stores after an academy class has graduated and see the new recruits buying gear...the gear is pretty and some is useful. Get down the road, and we see the older guys have shed much of the extra and learned to better use what they have. Very common...

I don't have a arsenal of handguns, but the handguns I do have function in similar manners...less thought needed when reaction times are short.
    Secret Spuk, rocky and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

Tbone steak, strip steak, sirloin steak, steak Diane, Delmonico steak...

Celebrate diversity!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Tbone steak, strip steak, sirloin steak, steak Diane, Delmonico steak...

Celebrate diversity!
    1911, 1911, 1911, 1911, 1911, itty-bitty 1911, ...

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 22nd, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links