Logic and the Anti-gun Wife

Logic and the Anti-gun Wife

This is a discussion on Logic and the Anti-gun Wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all...I'm new on here and I thought this would make an entertaining first post.I am a recent new gun owner.I decided that with all ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Logic and the Anti-gun Wife

Cool Logic and the Anti-gun Wife

Hello all...I'm new on here and I thought this would make an entertaining first post.I am a recent new gun owner.I decided that with all the craziness going on in this country I needed some self defense So I signed up for a basic gun safety class and shot a selection of different handguns.

I went to the local gun store and picked out a Sig Sauer P250 compact. I was doing all this without my wifes knowledge.I went home with my purchase and sucked it up for the coming storm.Actually it wasn't as bad as I expected.She just said I wasn't bringing it into the house and I said I'm not leaving it out in the cold damp garage because I will have to clean and oil it all the time.She agreed,but said it wasn't to be loaded,I said I didn't buy it to be a novel paperweight. So we left it at that for awhile.

About 3 weeks later I went and took the ccw class and got my license about 2 weeks later. My wife asked me why I got my ccw license and I told her so I told her so I carry it.She said she wasn't going to ride in the car with me if I was carrying a loaded handgun.I had to ask why,a few seconds later I was sorry I did. She said what if we get in an accident and there is a fire and said fire caused the ammo in my gun to go off.

Several seconds later,after my eyes stopped rolling,I said,if a fire got hot enough to cook off the ammo,we had bigger problems then that,like being on fire ourselves.She said fine just as long as she doesn't see it.I said fine because thats what concealed means.So it goes on.Thank you for reading this.
    Tom Well I thought it was my first post!

I thought I'd better add that I am totally serious concerning handgun safety,training and practice,practice and more practice and when I'm done with that,more training and practice.When I decide I need another handgun my wife will be in on the decision. Who knows by then she might be interested enough to look at something for herself.
    Last edited by TomC51; September 23rd, 2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: update

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from the PRM!

Can't help you, you mentioned logic and wife in the same sentence......some things don't mix

My Wife came around yours will to. Then you'll have to start buying her guns it's fun but pricey.

Sounds like my first few weeks after my wife found out. Now six months later she's helping me check for concealment and buying attire to help with comfort and concealment. Once she gets used to the concept of you taking taking the ultimate responsibility to protect you and her, she'll start to ensure you're always armed when you're with her!

Welcome abroad!

Distinguished Member
    This reminds me of the problems some guys have getting their wives into scuba diving. Similar tactic is required. DON'T PUSH IT. She will come around if and when she is ready to come around. When you push them resistance is automatic. When pushed humans push back. Education is the key but you have to be subtle. Be prepared for this to be a long term war with hopefully no battles along the way. In sales they talk about the drip tactic (yes, an appropriate name) where they keep mailing sales pieces to prospects and surprisingly, eventually someone who threw away 20 mailers suddenly responds. You don't have as much time as the grand canyon but you don't have as big a job. It also helps to find their hot button. For my wife who mountain bikes - often by herself, it was news about mountain lions. Now she carries frequently (not as much as I would like) but I figure "baby steps".

Good luck and lots of patience. You're going to need both.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Been there, done that. 7 years later she just rolls her eyes when I put my guns on. My advice, stand your ground, and don't volunteer that you are armed... When she doesn't see me put it on, my wife almost never notices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Welcome from the Palmetto State..

One thing i could suggest,which may or may not be a waste of time,see if she has any interest at looking at the website:www.nrawomen.com.

Maybe if she sees all different age women who shoot,it might spark an interest.Good luck.

I would talk her into going to the gun range and practicing safe handling of firearms. That could show her that you're safe with guns and she might find something she enjoys.

- Crash357
    Tzadik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC51 View Post
    Hello all...I'm new on here and I thought this would make an entertaining first post.I am a recent new gun owner.I decided that with all the craziness going on in this country I needed some self defense So I signed up for a basic gun safety class and shot a selection of different handguns.

I went to the local gun store and picked out a Sig Sauer P250 compact. I was doing all this without my wifes knowledge.I went home with my purchase and sucked it up for the coming storm.Actually it wasn't as bad as I expected.She just said I wasn't bringing it into the house and I said I'm not leaving it out in the cold damp garage because I will have to clean and oil it all the time.She agreed,but said it wasn't to be loaded,I said I didn't buy it to be a novel paperweight. So we left it at that for awhile.

About 3 weeks later I went and took the ccw class and got my license about 2 weeks later. My wife asked me why I got my ccw license and I told her so I told her so I carry it.She said she wasn't going to ride in the car with me if I was carrying a loaded handgun.I had to ask why,a few seconds later I was sorry I did. She said what if we get in an accident and there is a fire and said fire caused the ammo in my gun to go off.

Several seconds later,after my eyes stopped rolling,I said,if a fire got hot enough to cook off the ammo,we had bigger problems then that,like being on fire ourselves.She said fine just as long as she doesn't see it.I said fine because thats what concealed means.So it goes on.Thank you for reading this.
    Tom Well I thought it was my first post!
    STOP!

Stop everything. Forget whatever 'strategies' you've thought up in the last few weeks on how to deal with this. Forget it all.

You are now a blank canvas.

Read: Hoplophobia Analysis
    wester and SIGguy229 like this.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

I added some line spacing to your post for easier reading...

ret
    Aceoky and pittypat21 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Honey, you and my family are the most important thing in my life. I will defend you to death and that is why I have a CC pistol. Without you in my life it would be meaningless and I intend to make sure to the best of my ability to protect us. This world is getting real crazy, you know that is true, there are druggies everywhere as well as child snatchers. In California, they are even letting them out of prison because a crazy judge said they were too crowded. I feel I need to protect us from people like this and will train to do just that.
    The next gun purchase you make should be a 22 cal. pistol you can train with and she can shoot. Maintain the argument above in your own words and point out the crazy people in this world. She's smart and will come around. She might even want to fire your 22.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    My Wife came around yours will to. Then you'll have to start buying her guns it's fun but pricey.
    First: Welcome.

Second - Your wife may or may not come around, but she for sure will NOT do it if you push. Stay cool, dude, and be grateful you got this far in the process of being prepared to be her white knight if needed.

Third: You can kind of be glad you don't have a wife like me. When my hubby said he was going to sign up for the carry permit class I told him I wanted to get one too. He about fell on his face. It does get expensive when this happens - especially when he confiscates MY new holsters and I have to order more. But he still has the 2 most expensive guns in our collection and even on days when I out shoot him on the range he is still my White Knight!
    Stoveman, Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Did you know she was against guns prior to buying one? If so, you handled it all wrong IMO. Sure she may come around, and all in all you've gotten off pretty easy so far it sounds like, but if you knew and did it anyway, you're creating a trust issue.

As others have said, don't push her - that'll just likely make her dig in her heels. Ask what her concerns are - WITHOUT THE EYE ROLLING thankyouverymuch. If she's willing to discuss concerns, discuss them without making her feel put down (nothing makes us chicks angrier than thinking our man is laughing at us or rolling his eyes at us!!)

Sounds like its worked out ok - so far lol. I used to be afraid of guns, like it sounds like she is. I get the impression she hasn't been around them, which is why she has concerns of car accidents and fires. How you approach it/treat her about it may make a difference in if she comes around sooner or later....

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    STOP!

Stop everything. Forget whatever 'strategies' you've thought up in the last few weeks on how to deal with this. Forget it all.

You are now a blank canvas.

Read: Hoplophobia Analysis
    Thanks for the link to the article!
    stylus likes this.

About the fire...hmm, the 20 gallons of gas would be of more concern than a few rounds of ammunition.

Regarding your wife's position...just drive her to the worst part of town for some shopping. She will get it then...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links