Glock->M&P->Glock

This is a discussion on Glock->M&P->Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought two M&Ps about a month ago. A full size 9mm and full size 45ACP. They felt good in my hand at the shop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glock->M&P->Glock

Glock->M&P->Glock

I bought two M&Ps about a month ago. A full size 9mm and full size 45ACP. They felt good in my hand at the shop and dry firing at home, but I just didn't care for them at the range. They didn't "lock" into my hand as well as my Glocks (even though they felt better overall), felt somewhat top heavy, and I didn't care for the trigger. I definitely understand why so many people rave about M&Ps. They just aren't the right gun for me.

I never sold my Glocks, I was just willing to try other platforms.

I also did this with some 1911s a few years ago. I got bored with a generic GI style and traded it for an upgraded model that had problems galore. I ended up coming back to the same GI that has been problem free.

After trying tons of different guns, I really like Glocks, 1911s, and Beretta 92/PX4 the best. I guess I'll just stick with them since I seem to shoot them the best.

Has anyone switched from one gun/brand to another, only to come back to the same one you left?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I love how the M&P's feel in my hands but for some reason, I don't shoot them nearly as well as my Glocks.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I've never gone away from Glocks totally...however I do like the 1911 platform. You could say I'm a switch hitter on a couple of different brands, but I can operate with any of them, and I hold no jealousy for what one could give over another.

Explain how the S&W trigger felt.

Some don't like Glocks because of the ping/twang that Glocks make when fired, and the trigger safety not fully going into the Glock trigger face while firing, and the Glock reset hitting the shooting finger pad, and serrated triggers, and not having a beaver tail to prevent hand bite, and the locations of the controls not being readily accessible.

Was it just the two piece trigger that hinges that was the problem? Did you try different back straps? Was it the grip surface texture? I do know that just feeling the M&P45c that it makes a big difference if you install the small grip. As far as the trigger goes, there are kits for it, one that replaces the hinge trigger with a Glock style single piece with the middle safety tang mechanism, the Apex Tactical DCAEK. Overview: Apex Tactical DCAEK and FSS Kits - YouTube Not that you would want to spend that kind of money for a pistol that doesn't fit you right.

BTW, which Glocks? The S&W full size M&P 9mm comes in a 4.5" barrel with a 5.5" height. The only S&W 4" x 5" (G19 dimensions) are the SD9VEs and the M&P 45c. I can see where the 5.5" high grip could cause a different feel than the G19 since your hand could drift lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2AoZr7aOc

I only mention it because if I buy a Glock chances are I'm going to end up putting in the same kit.

Same here. I took a brand new M&P compact 9mm through Fighting Pistol. 1,000 rounds in two days.

The gun did great. BUT, I hit easier with G 19s. I hit very, very well with the M&P, but I have to concentrate more. And at crunch time, I get the feeling concentration might be in short supply.

I hit better & easier with the G 19s. Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    I love how the M&P's feel in my hands but for some reason, I don't shoot them nearly as well as my Glocks.

Sure I have. Started with a 1911, then a few Hi Powers, then SIG, then Springfield (XD), then Beretta, then M&P, then Glock.

Returned to the 1911, a platform I was foolish to abandon.

Now I am officially Glockless. I do have a few M&Ps that I like. Still have a SIG or two, and my beloved Kimber (hey, THIS one runs).

And soon I will have a steel j frame (again) and an HK P30LS.

But I will always love my 1911. I let my oldest boy pick it out on my 41st birthday a few years back. He has good taste.

So yeah, most of us have been around the block. Start here, try new things, learn what you like and what you can shoot.

And I'm glad I did. Heck, I'll bet even Bryan wants to run a Glock. Maybe be willing to trade an L frame for one.

Or maybe not, heh-heh.
    Aceoky likes this.

Lead Moderator
    I have shot many pistols and revolvers. HK, Glock, ect. My 1911 felt best to me till I got a M&P. bottom line I can shoot most anything reasonably well , but my M&P just fits me best.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^
    That. Regardless of brand name or style, I shoot all handguns about the same (and you won't see me bragging about the results). I carry a Glock, but often carry a S&W 6906, preferring the DA/SA feature. 1911s are great, just not what I'd want to carry. M&Ps "fit" my hand better, but I doubt it would shoot any better.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Explain how the S&W trigger felt.

Some don't like Glocks because of the ping/twang that Glocks make when fired, and the trigger safety not fully going into the Glock trigger face while firing, and the Glock reset hitting the shooting finger pad, and serrated triggers, and not having a beaver tail to prevent hand bite, and the locations of the controls not being readily accessible.

Was it just the two piece trigger that hinges that was the problem? Did you try different back straps? Was it the grip surface texture? I do know that just feeling the M&P45c that it makes a big difference if you install the small grip. As far as the trigger goes, there are kits for it, one that replaces the hinge trigger with a Glock style single piece with the middle safety tang mechanism, the Apex Tactical DCAEK. Overview: Apex Tactical DCAEK and FSS Kits - YouTube Not that you would want to spend that kind of money for a pistol that doesn't fit you right.

BTW, which Glocks? The S&W full size M&P 9mm comes in a 4.5" barrel with a 5.5" height. The only S&W 4" x 5" (G19 dimensions) are the SD9VEs and the M&P 45c. I can see where the 5.5" high grip could cause a different feel than the G19 since your hand could drift lower.

M&P APEX Trigger install results over stock - YouTube

I only mention it because if I buy a Glock chances are I'm going to end up putting in the same kit.
    In regards to the trigger... I didn't really care for how you would get little resistance during travel, then the gun would finally fire after some resistance. Glocks are somewhat like this, but much less. I also don't like the beavertail. Not sure how anyone is getting bit by a Glock unless they weigh 500+ lbs.

The grip texture was okay, I just didn't care for the overall feel of the grip, especially in the palm area. Swapping the grip inserts only seemed to make the palm area larger, not the entire grip. I prefer a larger grip, but with little contour. That's why I like Glocks and 1911s. They are like holding a 2x4 and allow me to contour my hand. I like all of my Glocks, but seem to shoot best with the 20/21, 17, and 19.

Funny thing is the M&P45 actually feels better in my hand than the M&P9.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Same here. I have the M&P 45C as well as a Glock 27 and 19. I really want to shoot the M&P as good as I do the Glocks, but so far, I just don't.

Between the M&P9c and a Glock 26, the M&P feels better in the hand AND shoots better. Just slightly. I shoot them both better without the pinky ext. Go figure. Both are winners

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    First carry gun was a G19. It was too big and I was too new to be comfortable with it. I kept it and bought a Walther PPK/S. Packed that for a year. Then added an LCP. Wanted more punch in my carry cartridge and bought a Glock 26. I experimented, tried different clothes, and had enough trouble hiding the 26 in the summer that I bought a Shield. I liked the Shield but it wasn't enough easier to conceal than the 26 so I sold it when I bought the XDs .45. With the XDs back at Springfield for the recall, I got serious about carrying the 26 and have finally figured out how to pack it even in hot summer weather.

I've also figured out how to carry the 19 in the winter pretty much all the time. So I started with a Glock and I'm still packing a Glock, though I only sold the Shield. I still have the 19, 26, PPK/S, P238, XDs and LCP. I bought a second 19 to be my carry gun because the first one lives in the bed side safe with a rail light on it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The lighter trigger on Glocks makes it far easier for novice shooters to shoot accurately. This is why you often hear untrained shooters claim that they "just shoot Glocks better". We heard the same thing when the PPQ first came out, with its extremely light trigger.

It's a training issue, nothing more, nothing less. Put in the time and learn proper trigger control and you'll shoot most every mid to high end handgun out there the same. Mechanically, they are far more accurate than you are.

It's also why most shooters who spend all of their time with semi-autos dismiss DA revolvers as inaccurate, after their first failed range outing with one.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I started with a 3" 1911, then switched to mostly carrying a full-size 1911. Then I tried my wife's M&P 9c. Now I'm hooked. 9c on my hip now, just ordered a full size M&P 9 police trade in. Guess I finally got over my romantic attachment to 1911s, but I still love 'em.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'd hate to shoot any of the other pistols if their triggers compair unfavorably to Glocks, which by far have the worst triggers of any pistols I own...by far. If they didn't have so many other redeeming qualities they'de be junk. There is only so much you can do with a striker fired design. Anything under 3.5 lbs and you're going to have reliability issues. The trigger is actually taking the striker to full cock, and there's no way around it. Lighter trigger, lighter strike. The best aftermarket trigger kits (Zev Tech, Lone Wolf, Vogel) are all about the same and all cost about the same. They make it a little lighter, take out the amazingly bad pre and over travel, but they still stack like a Saturday night special because they have to move that striker back. They take it from being truely awful to merely bad. I just don't get it. I know ther are some strikers that go to full cock. Maybe they're better. I don't know. I still carry Glocks because of all their other attributes, but the trigger earns a D- out of the box, and a C- with the best aftermarket trigger there is. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest...
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links