Girlfriend wants a pistol... Asking for suggestions.

This is a discussion on Girlfriend wants a pistol... Asking for suggestions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so my girlfriend wants to get a pistol. I am leaning towards a glock 26 because it's small enough for her hands and shoots ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Girlfriend wants a pistol... Asking for suggestions.

Ok so my girlfriend wants to get a pistol. I am leaning towards a glock 26 because it's small enough for her hands and shoots 9mm so the recoil will be manageable.

She has shot pistols before and knows the rules of firearm safety already because I have hammered them into her head. She doesn't touch mine because she knows it's always loaded. She welcomes cc and likes that I am always carrying around her. So none of that is an issue.

Any suggestions other than the g26?

Edit: looking for suggestions for where to start... She's gonna shoot as many as I can get my hands on until we find what she likes. I just want some ideas for guns to try first.

Sent from that tappy talky thingamajig.....
    G23, 1 reload, 1 knife, 1 mindset.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    My suggestion is letting her pick her gun. Let her handle and fire several at a rental range and then buy her whatever she wants.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Ruger SR9c.
    Ghost1958 and sonnycrocket like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    My suggestion is letting her pick her gun. Let her handle and fire several at a rental range and then buy her whatever she wants.
    Best idea, let her handle and shoot as many as she like then let her pick the one she wants.
    Aceoky and Stirling XD like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Picking a handgun is a very personal choice, sort of like picking a pair of shoes. The wearer (shooter) needs to try them " on" and pick the one that fits ( feels) the best. Here are a few suggestions for her to handle, rent and shoot: Ruger SR22, S&W 9 mm Shield and Sig P229. Good luck with the search.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Gotta agree with the above. Let her choose.
    Unreconstructed to the End.
    Dum Vivimus Vivamus
    Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    You've got it backwards...the gun chooses the owner!

Take her around and find one that is perfect to her, ACCORDING to her.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Have her hold an xds-9, and dry fire it to feel the trigger, my wife fell in love with hers and now all of her friends are getting them too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm a fan of this little guy.

Might be a little small, but its fun to shoot.
    P938 Nightmare
    Jab73180 and Aquaman like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    What I was getting at was suggestions for her to try. Of course I want her to have what feels best for her. I was just looking for some places to start her off at.

VIP Member
    Agree with above. There's really no hurry. Shoot some, go home. Come back next weekend, repeat. Repeat again. The gun that one prefers will be emergent.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

If there's a range in your area that allows you to rent guns, take her there and let her shoot whatever catches her eye. If you don't have one near by, at least take her to a few shops and let her feel out what she can.

ETA: Missed your post about that being the plan and you were looking for suggestions. A good gun for the money in 9mm is a SCCY CPX-2 if you happen across one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

please do not make the mistake I made when my wife started conceal carrying; it gets expensive when the gun the guy picked out gets traded in for a new gun. Failures were P32, 642, and LCP. Her current successes are P238, P938, NAA 22 mag, and her Kimber ProCarry 2.

never again will I try to select a weapon for someone else. handle and shoot MANY. read reviews.
    JDavisArk and srings like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    What I was getting at was suggestions for her to try. Of course I want her to have what feels best for her. I was just looking for some places to start her off at.

My wife liked the Taurus PT 111, so that's what she got. Then she decided that she liked my Ruger speed six better, so I had to get a new gun for me
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by tnlc9 View Post
    please do not make the mistake I made when my wife started conceal carrying; it gets expensive when the gun the guy picked out gets traded in for a new gun. Failures were P32, 642, and LCP. Her current successes are P238, P938, NAA 22 mag, and her Kimber ProCarry 2.

never again will I try to select a weapon for someone else. handle and shoot MANY. read reviews.
    Good post!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links