642 with CT grips or MP340 with big dot sight

This is a discussion on 642 with CT grips or MP340 with big dot sight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay folks, I'm actually not contemplating this purchase, but it's more of a philosophical question. If you were to pick one light weight snubbie as ...

Thread: 642 with CT grips or MP340 with big dot sight

Okay folks, I'm actually not contemplating this purchase, but it's more of a philosophical question. If you were to pick one light weight snubbie as your main carry piece for a year that you would do all your training with, would you rather have one with a night sight, or one with CT grips? I know, I know, someone is going to say both, and someone will say neither, and someone will say, get a 1911. :)

But, just for discussion sake, I'd love to hear your opinions! Pros, cons, and general discussion around the realistic usefulness of these two items on a snubbie.

I were going to have just one to carry and to train with (and you did specify the training with it requirement), I would pick the 642. While the MP340 is awesome to carry because of its lightweight, it is torture to shoot full power .357 Mag, especially for more than a few cylinders.

As for the sights, I don't have CT grips on my J-frame, nor do I have a night sight. I think if I had to have one or the other I would pick the laser grips, simply because it would aid in dryfire practice.

image.jpgI carry snubs everyday, 642, SP101 2.4, mod 60, use big dot on front not a big laser guy have tried them but snubs are up close so fast acquisition with big dot suffices .
    Last edited by Easy8; September 23rd, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Im not a fan of lasers either. I'd take the 340 with big dot all day, easy to carry, fast into action and fast to point with a big dot up there.

Mine would be carrying a good .38+p load though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

642 with night sights up front. Plus a flashlight...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

My most-carried gun is a 638 with CT grips. One advantage of the laser grip is if you are unable, for whatever reason, to bring the gun up to eye level to use the sights (Big Dot or no), you can still be "on target" with the laser sight. In a SHTF scenario we may not have the opportunity to be in our perfect target shooting stance. The laser, if you've done proper practice, can offer some advantage in some situations. That said, I have Big Dots on a couple other guns. I like them for their intended purpose (quick target acquisition), but may eventually add laser grips with them. If I was only allowed one of the two systems I'd take the laser grips simply because they offer more versatility if I can't get the perfect down-the-barrel sight picture.

Here we go again. From average SD distance of 5-7 feet why does everyone worry about sight aquisition over weapon retention? At that distance I pull my weapon in close next to my body at elbow height & start pulling the trigger. After a little practice I can hit COM most times with no flyers 90% of the time. Snubbies, as mentioned, are for close in quick shooting. I don't care to hand the BG my gun.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Administrator
    The 340 with a big dot all day long.
    "Just blame Sixto"

MP340

I carry a MP340 with big dot sight and CT grips in a Mika pocket holster.
    If I had to choose it would be MP340 over 642 have both and 340 is just put together better.

M&P 340 with Big dot is the best pocket gun I have but for my failing vision and at night I also added CT grips. That combination is hard to beat. If I had to choose then it is hands down the XS sight because the laser will not likely be used.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

Sponsored Links