Walther help needed

This is a discussion on Walther help needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to assist my girlfriend in picking out a pistol she can carry when she gets her chl. She has a Walther .22 that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Walther help needed

Walther help needed

I'm trying to assist my girlfriend in picking out a pistol she can carry when she gets her chl. She has a Walther .22 that she just loves to shoot. However, she realizes its a bit anemic for self defense. What Walthers do we need to check out that have similar controls and comparable size to the .22 in .380 or 9mm?

2. Remove Ads

As you can guess, i use and really like the PPS. However, if I can suggest, it might be more useful for you and your girlfriend to shoot (rent if possible) the PPK/s or the PPS to see which she likes/shoots/handles better for her. I personally believe this may be more important than a caliber issue.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I can say that she is fairly comfortable with my G26. I think she could learn to be very proficient with it, but she's a tad bit recoil conscious, and is really only comfortable with a single action trigger. So I'm thinking .380 might be a good choice.

Bersa Thunder .380
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    PPS is the next closest in size and weight. She needs to get used shooting higher calibers before buying. Do you have an assortment of different guns to let her try? Or hit a shooting range with rental guns and try out a few, for several sessions.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Rent some firearms at a range and find out which firearms that are better suited for defensive carry that your girlfriend can shoot well. Then she can purchase that model.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I think you will find that recoil from the PPS is very comparable to the felt recoil out of a .380 like the Bersa. Bersa is a straight blow back operation versus the locked breach design of the PPS.
    Straight blow back .380's are not as pleasant to shoot as many smaller 9mm's.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I think you will find that recoil from the PPS is very comparable to the felt recoil out of a .380 like the Bersa. Bersa is a straight blow back operation versus the locked breach design of the PPS.
    I agree. i own both a PPK/s as well as a PPS. As far as recoil is concerned, very little difference between the two. My recommendation, try them both, and if the difference in felt recoil is small, go with the 9.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

If she is recoil shy she needs to shoot more. I'm not saying she needs to be proficient with a 454 but under gunning is never a good choice IMO. There are lots of easy shooting 9mm sub compacts ..... I just picked up a mp shield and it one of the softest shooting compacts in 9mm I have shot. I have a short you tube video of me shooting my shield showing its minimal recoil characteristics if you would like

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

If she is looking for a compact, go straight to the PPS.

If she can handle the width of a Glock, then I'd just to straight to a PPQ or a P99AS if she'd prefer the safety of a decocker. Ergonomically the P22 is closer to them then the PPS.
    .XX likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    The PPS has similar paddel mag relase, etc.. and is 9mm and easy to conceal.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

PPQ gets my vote.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

carry.jpg

Walther P99 AS 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I had a Beretta Nano for a while.... She shot it a few times. While she did comment that she really liked the size, she had a hard time controlling the trigger well enough to be accurate with it. I realize that she could learn how to use it with practice, but she really wants something with a lighter trigger. And a manual safety is okay with her. How is the trigger on the PPS?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Try the Walther PPQ. If she needs a good trigger, it's the best out of the box polymer gun trigger she'll find. I don't know how she'll feel about it's size if she plans to carry it, though. I'm 5'6" and 120lbs, and I carry one every day, IWB.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links